Ryzen 3000 spec/price leaked (supposedly)

was browsing tomshardware and someone had this link
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-specs-prices-leaked-upto-16-cores-5-1ghz-on-am4/

most interesting part is:
Ryzen 7 3700X 12/24(cores/virtualcores) 4.2GHz(base) 5.0GHz(boost) 105W(TDP) $329

a 12 core 4ghz min cpu for a mere 330 dollars.

if it has decent single and multi core performance Intel is going to have a monster for competition.

in price range for nearly everyone and blows most of intels out of the park.

and it isnt even their best cpu listed.

been Intel foreverā€¦but I may actually jump to AMD if these prove true.

1 Like

Big fat if. Ryzen has failed to live up to the hype for previous generations. Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. Just like a 10 core intel chip that hits 5+ GHz.

refering to the extreme OC of 5ghz on all cores where they used nitrogen or w/e?
if so that was OC speed. The marks in this are mere boost speedsā€¦meaning OC is higher.

hence the if.

I know stuff can change and leaks arent always true.

but amd HAS progressed very far in a short period of time while intel has not done until pressured by amd.

This is amazing.

If itā€™s true, it will be an excellent solution for many users.

Still not upgrading from my 8700k though. Not for the 9900k or Zen 3000.

No upgrading for another 4 years. Iā€™m already 1 year into my ā€œ5 year upgrade planā€ and my 8700k shows no sign of slowing down.

Those numbers look like the ā€œleakedā€ specs for the 2800X, only with a slightly more conservative boost (5.2GHz was ā€œleakedā€ back then). They were also saying that 2800X would feature a pair of 6-core CCXs to make up the 12 cores, instead of a cut-back pair of 8-core CCXs.

Given the complete absence of a 2800X thus far, and the much lower clocks the 2700X wound up with, Iā€™d recommend anyone apply liberal amounts of salt to these ā€œleaksā€. Great if true but wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if not (not to mention that many cores would over-saturate the dual-channel DDR4 on offer).

1 Like

Also considering theyā€™ve promised compatibility for AM4 - with the plethora of low quality motherboards out there I highly doubt the majority of them will be able to function properly with a high frequency 12 core chip.

So either AMD is unable to reach these specs, or people completely exaggerate the benefit of ā€œAMD upgrade pathā€ being a real reason to buy Ryzen in 2017.

Personally, Iā€™ve always felt the ā€œCPU upgrade pathā€ is a ridiculous notion. Even if you could just drop in a cpu on an old motherboard, history shows:

1. Not getting enough benefit to actually warrant the upgrade, unless you got the absolute worst cpu you could have got originally. (e.g. Phenom -> FX, Sandy bridge -> Ivy bridge, and buying a 200GE or Pentium Gold)

2. you are missing out on several new features that a new motherboard would have access to standard. (e.g. native usb 3 support, optane choose your drive support, XFR2)

3. You may not get the maximum performance out of the new cpu so the benefit of the upgrade is diminished. (AMD 970 series motherboard, H310/B360 etc canā€™t support full powered i9-9900k)

Gamers Nexus just did a piece on the 10-year-old i7-2600k. Itā€™s showing itā€™s age, but it is still competitive with modern Ryzen CPUs at gaming.

It also shows thereā€™s little reason to upgrade if you have a powerful 4th generation Haswell or newer i7, which makes the notion of ā€œCPU upgrade pathā€ just a Fanboy argument.

The point is, buy once cry once.

If you canā€™t afford it, fine. Buy the entry level Ryzen and use it until it canā€™t function properly anymore, which absolutely isnā€™t when Ryzen 3000 releases. Thatā€™s also a dumb use of money if you donā€™t have a lot to spend.

So it makes no sense to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 if you have a ā€œgoodā€ present Ryzen. It also makes no sense to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 if you could barely afford a Ryzen 3 1200 to begin with, especially since you probably got a low end board.

The same applies to Intel users.

It would be beyond a waste of money to upgrade to the 9900k from an 8700k on a high end Z370, and it would be half wasted to upgrade to a 9900k from an i3-8100 on an H310 chipset. And if you had that i3-8100 on a high end Z370ā€¦ You were dumb and should have just spent the money on an entry level z370 and got an i5-8600k instead and not upgrade to the 9900k.

I am in the same boast as most others here, my I7 8700K is not showing signs of slowing down and to add as a personal note, screw AMD. I donā€™t care if they come out with a 7nm, theyā€™ve burned me more times than I can imagine and I refuse to give them wallet just because I feel they are are junk and will always be junk in my opinion.

I normally tout upgrade path but youā€™re right. Iā€™ve upgraded my board through AM4 and while zen to zen+ probably doesnā€™t yield that but zen will probably. AMD has done pretty well close to launch to give realistic hype. Their IPC and performance numbers werenā€™t far off from realism.

1 Like

Personally when I think ā€œupgrade pathā€ Iā€™m thinking ā€œcan I get two or three GPU generations out of this system?ā€

Judging by 1080p low/GPU limitation removed data, I figure I can get at least two more generations of GPU on my 8700k before it starts to noticably bottleneck at 1080p, which is where I feel is ā€œend of lifeā€.

Kind if like how nowadays, an FX-8350 often doesnā€™t benefit from heavier GPUs past 1060/1070 at 1080p, which I consider end of life.

The FX-8350 was end of life on September 23, 2012, FYI.

1 Like

Upgrading from a 8700K for games today would be a waste. 9900K gives 2 more cores. AMD solutions have worse latency. Zen2 might be better but is the extra few frames worth it? IMO the people who need to look at upgrading are the quad core dinosaurs.

Most ā€˜CPUā€™ upgrades were minor for the last 10 or so years per generation. The big push in software and hardware now is moar cores.

Their review also had a 2600K with higher min frames than a 9600K and 8600K in some titles. They tested Civ6 as their main CPU bound game the 2600K got decimated. The point is it depends on your app.

Bold assumption without seeing the new Ryzen in action. For all we know the new Ryzen could be worse for games or much better. I donā€™t know of breakdown of the I/O module to make a statement either way.

You are agreeing with me. None of the ā€œgoodā€ Ryzen are quad core dinosaurs.

Further, do you seriously think that a full-featured 12-core 5ghz Ryzen 2 is going to function properly on your run of the mill B350 motherboard?

quad are dinosaurs?

what about my i3-4130 dual core ;p?

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/281810-the-latest-rumors-about-amds-ryzen-3000-series-are-too-good-to-be-true

Interesting read

Yeah

Because the author of that post is ā€œJealous Joelā€

:rofl:

I mean look at the comments people have replied :laughing:

1 Like

I agree with the problems with pricing.

They are not realistic. Ryzen 7 2700x, a chip that launched at $329, to have itā€™s superior equivalent effectively be $178 a year later?

Thatā€™s a 45% price drop. Ryzen 5 1600 launched at $219. Itā€™s superior replacement, the Ryzen 5 2600, launched at $199.

And when you question that, it makes you question everything else.

Also, iirc even adoretv believes the high end wonā€™t work on current motherboards.

Dual core canā€™t even keep up browsing through windows now days. God help you if your also on a 5400RPM drive and have 4GB or less RAM.

1 Like

If your talking 1700/1800x those sound like used/overstock prices.

I can say the same thing with the i7 7820x starting $899 last year and now the i9 9900k for $550

1 Like

Iā€™m taking about the leaked R5 3600, which is about the same performance as the Ryzen 7 2700x, but instead of launching at $329 it launches at $178.