Ryzen 3000 spec/price leaked (supposedly)

Not really.

One is HEDT platform, and the other is mainstream.

1 - prices are not confirmed
2 - the process is cheaper to produce
3 - AMD is being aggressive to gain marketshare

1 Like

Donā€™t matter

Both are 8 cores 16 threads, ones just on an expensive chipset

Also any x299 chip thatā€™s not an i9 half of the benefits of x299 gets locked out

Some x299 boards only support kaby lake x and not Skylake x for that reason, hence why those boards have 4 ram slots and not 8

:rofl:

1 Like

You can at least give me the ā€œupgrade pathā€ part because even adoretv feels thereā€™s no way the higher SKU zen2 is gonna work in old boards

AMD said the boards will be good until 2020 the only one I see possible problems is AM4 16/32 chips but if they are only pulling 105W TDP I donā€™t see why they would have issues either.

1 Like

They arenā€™t going to only be pulling 105w

The leaks had TDP ratings the largest I saw mentioned was 105W.

1 Like

The 9900k can work on z370 boards but they throttle bad in performance

7nm ryzen 16 core might be different

May also depend on the motherboard if you got a good one with good VRM design it may not throttle as much. Ryzen Master knows my max VRM is 700 something watts (x399 board). Well built boards can handle way over what the minimum spec boards can.

Doubtful.

My 1600 @1.25v, 4ghz pulls about 90w.

Unless thereā€™s a huuuuuuuuge improvement in efficiency, I donā€™t see a 16 core at 5ghz sucking up only 105w. Thatā€™s only 16% more power for 160% more cores and 25% more frequency.

At stock speeds with single core turbo boost I suspect the TDP will be accurate. But expect that even XFR will grossly exceed that. My 2700x can turbo to 4.05-4.1GHz at times but pulls 150w with no adjustments made on my end.

Either they will rebadge the Ryzen 5/7ā€™s or manufacturing the specs on the 7nm process yields those chips at a MUCH cheaper price.

1 Like

Maybe.

But youā€™ll still need a new motherboard, probably. At least for the Ryzen 9 and probably the Ryzen 7.

AM4+ anyone?

EPYC appears to be 8/16 for a SINGLE CCX. So its possible since it has the same number of dies as a 2700x and likely they will just cut off features on older boards. Maybe you will not get quite the same boost, no PCIe 4.0 etc.

The profit margins might stay in tact because of the nature of the chiplet model. Iā€™m in agreement, prices seem off if AMD can pull this off.

Zen+ didnā€™t always have all features working on 300 series mobos. Not surprised Zen2 wonā€™t have all features. Subset should still work unless firmware prevents them.

Why? Zen2 is already in the hands of people and we already have non-leaked data. 2X core count and 15% clock increase at same power envelope. Most of the leaks based on whatā€™s in the public domain shows the leaks are very possible on silicon. The 16 core 5.1Ghz sounds more like Intelā€™s PR stunt but I could be wrong.

It costs less to manufacture for the chiplet model.

65W to 105W is very doable on current boards if they support the specs. The higher end CPUs are another story.

TDP and power consumption are NOT the same thing. Theyā€™re also not measured the same by different vendors.

I am aware of the distinction between tdp and power consumption.

That said, the R7 2700x is rated at 105w TDP per AMD.

Am I to believe that doubling the core count and increasing frequency by 25% requires the same exact cooling power?

Thatā€™s a stretch.

Why is it a stretch? Zen2 has already been shown to have double the core count and about 7% clock speed at the same power consumption.

Going from a 8 core Ryzen to a 16 core Ryzen at the same TDP should be very doable. Power consumption is definitely going to change compared the Epyc but the cooling looks doable from what weā€™ve seen from Zen2 so far.

Heat and power doesnā€™t usually scale linearly with frequency and voltage.

The current zen2 EPYC doesnā€™t boost even close to 5ghz. The leaked chips seem to have 50% higher base clocks and boost clocks.

We will have to wait and see, but Iā€™m skeptical.

Edit - 135w is the maximum on the 16 core chips; I was using ragequittenā€™s statement of 105.

At any rate, 105 is for the 12 core 4.2base/5ghz boost version. Still 50% core increase and 17% frequency increase for the same tpd rating on Zen+

Itā€™s probably more likely, if this is true, that AMD is going the way of Intel and just straight lying about tdp and understating it.

my system runs win10 on a 7200rpm hdd and 10gb ram (dont ask) fine. never blue screen, freeze, etc.

run WoW @ 60+fps fine.

open multiple browser tabs and videos at same tiem and no slow down even.

I am waiting to upgrade as nothing I use benefits from anything above what I run for my usage.

p.s. firefox is browser of choice.

what if i told you I used a single core cpu to play WoW all way up to Cata?

I drove a 1990 Honda Accord without a 4th gear for about a year.

It wasnā€™t fun but I did it.

1 Like

Did you ever get your wifeā€™s CPU back to 4GHz?