RPG element vs Min maxing

Actually, and I’d have to double check, but I think video games are actually older than most if not all table top games. At least modern variants.

I completely agree that’s the way covenants should function.

Even if you have TD R6, if it’s doing 45% of your damage you aren’t playing properly. Most dps stack secondaries now.

There’s no reason to play properly when you can do 60k dps from tendies and other corruptions.

It is as a thing in old RPGs, I know, back when everything was tedious and boring. It hasn’t been a thing in the overwhelming majority in years and there is a very clear reason for it: being made to choose between what you think looks cool and what you think is fun to play is not enjoyable. It never has been and it never will be.

It’s not meaningful choice, it’s just annoying and it makes people constantly second guess themselves.

These systems work especially poorly in multiplayer games where there is peer pressure to make certain choices.

1 Like

Except thats where the pro “your choice matters” disagree, they want you locked on your covenant cause your choice matters, you should be punished in the content your covenant isnt good cause thats the burden of “your choice”, believe it or not thats what they truly think, ironically they want choices to matter by removing choices kekw.

Do you play think that COD should have more dialogue trees? Do you miss RPing in diablo? Do play 3.5 dnd for the combat?

you assume people don’t dress up and go into full character modes on table top games

• when they don’t its normally 4-5 fat guys getting drunk over it

when people read character and take a few days to create a character sheet ya cosmetic plays a large part lol

Depends on how you want to define the roots. Expansive RPG rules for table top games predated consumer access to Pong by a couple years, but of course pinball machines were around for a long time before that. Dinner party murder mystery games were around in the 1930’s, and are an early ancestor of role playing games.

Then again, Pachninko games date back to the 1920s…

They didn’t in the late 60’s, which was the dawn of modern pen and paper systems.

Well I always see MMORPGs more as large open world, free choice game, to do things the way you find them to be enjoyable. If someone loves min/maxing and pushing themselves to do the hardest content in the fastest time possible with only the most meta strategies, then you do you. But other people will enjoy playing slower, exploring zones more and reading quests, and doing things of that nature.

There is no one right way to play the game, and I feel that people have a hard time understanding that people like different things. I think, no matter how much we complain about the game, that WoW is still a game that allows the player to play at their pace and how they want to.

1 Like

um ya alot of those are meaningfull choices lol dnd every choice you make has a meaning lol
baulders gate same thing every choice matters
breath fire again every choice every master every dragon you mix matters meaningful choices are the definition of rpgs lol
and most of those choices have a cosmetic attribute to them lol

Half true.
Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making regarding character development.

that doesn’t mean they cant put themself in the characters shoes people have been acting out fantasy characters well since ancient greece probaly older than that lol (which cosmetic and choices do effect how you do it lol

They weren’t characters in the early days, merely expanded rule sets for models.

Eh, I think we’re splitting hairs at this point. As facilitating as it is. My original point was that while RPG’s dry definition does include most, but not all video games, the common gaming community has kind of given some points to what is and what isn’t an rpg.

1. must play a character (does not have to be player created)
  2. character must advance in some way/become more powerful (leveling)
  3. must have a strong focus on storytelling.

There are other qualifiers, but those are the three most agreed upon.

then its irrelevent anyways no diffrent than that numbers game on windows lol so its not a rpg without characters for one lol so it doesn’t matter what your saying

And I think that with such an expansive definition it no longer becomes a very useful term to talk about MMOs, as nearly all of them will meet those criteria.

One has to admire your commitment to this persona.

okay this needs to be said MMo is not a genre … of a game it’s a classification of it having more than one player online

the games genre is RPG not mmo all the mmo means is it’s a rpg with multiplayers on the internet

Why not? Just because it’s and expansive genre doesn’t mean it’s not valid. That’s why sub genre exists…

Such as the MMORPG…which has it’s own subgenres.

I disagree. At this point MMORPG is ubiquitous enough to be subgenre of the RPG gaming genre.

Also, it needs to have more than just multiplayer. The “Massive” in massively multiplayer online has some connotations. It’s a specifically large number of individuals playing simultaneously.