Roll the bones vs slice and dice?

Im not really a fan of the inconsistency of roll the bones, and never knowing what buff im actually getting from it without taking time to mouse over the icon. Slice and dice seems more reliable, and basically 50% haste thats 100% uptime seems like the better choice.

Any opinions?

Your inconsistency in damage is more likely due to your sinister strike procs. You will simply get better DPS from a bad roll streak than running SnD. Get a feel for which rolls to keep when and other than that, always have a roll up. Finish a pack buffs about to fall off? Reroll with your 2 cb before the next pack.

2 Likes

Last I checked slice and dice was reallllly bad, like having no buffs up from a roll is better than slice.

Look into weak auras and youll find one that tracks the buffs just fine. I recommend the luxthos rogue kit, just seach for it on youtube and follow the link.

1 Like

Rerolling is also about context. You don’t actually need to reroll every time you get ‘bad’ buff. There’s a difference between fighting a boss and fighting trash or random world mobs. On a random trash pack that’s going to die in 15 seconds it doesn’t really matter which buffs you have, especially if you’re going to waste half the duration in between pulls anyway.

1 Like

I stubbornly clung to SnD for a couple weeks after hitting 120, because I’d just reactivated for BFA after 11 years away from the game, and as an old combat sword rogue, I saw SnD and simply had to have it, as it was so essential to combat back in the day.

But, it’s worse in all respects. It’s not more reliable. It’s just more consistent. But the problem is, you’ll still reliably and consistently be doing more damage, every time, in every scenario, using RtB.

SnD will give you consistent numbers, but they’ll always be lower than what you’d be getting even with the worst possible bones rolls.

I do hope they make some of our dead talents viable next expansion. I’d like to be able to try new things from time to time without rendering myself completely useless for high end content.

I just dont understand how a 50% attack speed increase can be considered so bad

I don’t either. It sounds great on paper, for sure. But the buffs from bones are pretty great too. Crit’s really important to our DPS. It’s why essences like BotE and trinkets like spyglass/coral are so good for us. So, having a buff to that from RtB is absolutely huge. It’s why it’s the only single buff you keep (for single target). When you factor in that you can occasionally have that buff that’s so good you keep it by itself, and another one? That’s amazingly better than 50% attack speed.

But, in answer to your question, it’s considered bad because it does less damage than RtB.

Because you are also giving up alacrity to get it.

4 Likes

Forgot about alacrity. I think that’s a large reason as to why it’s not viable. Wish we got that baseline, so there’d actually be an alternative choice on that tier.

I played around with loaded dice, and stacking a bunch of extra haste gear/essences and brigand’s blitzs along with vision of perfection to trigger the effects more often. Wasn’t too bad, actually. I didn’t feel particularly energy starved not having alacrity, and getting 2+ rolls so often was really, really, really nice. It was a great way to just focus on the fight and rotation without having to constantly shift focus to fish for buffs.

I do hope we get some viable alternatives. We all hate fishing for good buffs, the feeling we get when we don’t get them for too long, and the variance in damage that comes from that. I certainly don’t like the ability. I tolerate it and I’m used to it, but there’s no real fun behind it. It’s just a thing that’s cool when it works in your favor, and sucks when it doesn’t. I’m not really sure that such a mechanic should be fundamental to the way one spec plays though. I’d much prefer a viable type of combat rogue that doesn’t need to rely on RNG.

2 Likes

Yeah. They have got to do something about Alacrity. When a passive stat buff is the unquestionably best talent through multiple expansions, something is very wrong with the talent design.

5 Likes

I rather take the dps loss and have fun than rolling dice during a fight, don’t know what boneheaded dev came up with RtB…

He musta been high on something…

3 Likes

I’d rather they work on improving a unique spec ability than force us back into being worse fury warriors. SnD is lame and boring.

2 Likes

Combat rogues WERE the original fury warriors =P

I had a rogue back during vanilla/TBC that was strictly combat, I’ve always hated subtlety and assassination, but I loved the duelist-style toe to toe fighting combat rogues had.

1 Like

I actually quite enjoy RtB, I don’t really have any good arguments to give if I’m being honest I just enjoy it.

It does seem like outlaw rogues are just worse fury warriors that can stealth though, that I can clearly see.

In what way are we worse than fury warriors? Speaking PVE of course.

1 Like

Remember its not just roll the bone vs SnD its RtB and Alacrity vs SnD its no contest a bad roll and Alacrity beats SnD

2 Likes

We don’t do as much damage. Not that that’s bad. We have loads more utility. But, you asked. Speaking for outlaw that is. I’ve never beat a furry on the meter since the nerfing.

Except on huge pulls that exceed their target cap.

I’m very new to rogue. Only 113 or so but so far I LOVE roll the bones. It plays into the role play of outlaw perfectly and I love the gamble type of rng on the proc. I always just reroll the sinister strike ones and I do fine. You get combo points so fast anyway.

1 Like

man i really wish they would look at outlaw.

like… i really wanna play it…but it sucks so frikken much compared to assa

1 Like

Outlaw itself is just fine. In PvE is does better than Sin in M+ and AoE/Cleave fights. Sin is and will always be, the single target champ.

If you’re referring to PvP, the only reason it blows so hard it PvP is because dev’s refuse to even make number changes. SS crits in PvP? 32k, PvP 10k. Pistol shot proc PvE, 142k, PvP, 24k. BtE PvE, 120k, PvP, 20k. Dispatch is even worse. It took a HUGE hit with the trait nerfs and then all the devs stopped caring.

2 Likes