Role-Playing Community for Classic?

Then don’t act like you’re the arbiter of what is and what is not acceptable. I’m not so bitter and resentful of someone else that I can’t offer observations or experience.

I don’t tell you to shut up, I tell you to enjoy your experience, and if you have something to share, feel free.

I will tell you that the way you RP is the way you RP. I don’t judge your RP itself as being acceptable or unacceptable, I simply tell you how it might connect to someone else and if that is going to be efficient or meaningful to the narrative.

If you simply pretend, then that’s all there is to that for you. I can judge you from there, especially if you intend to roleplay with other people. How do you make how you roleplay fit with how someone else roleplays?

See, if you just pretend, that’s fine, but that’s you, and just you.

Then pretend that I don’t exist, or pretend you have something to say other than “shut up.”

For someone who talks about roleplaying, you are quick to call how others roleplay as “hogwash”. Says a lot about how you want to build “your community.”

3 Likes

I’ll make you a deal, I will RP that you do not exist if you stop speaking as if you are the representative of the RP community, of which I am a part of.

You threatened to block me or ignore me before. And it doesn’t do anything for me if you pretend I don’t exist.

I don’t see any benefit for me in that exchange.

I’ll continue to post my observations about roleplay, and talk about a lot of what is going on in the active or past roleplay community.

You do whatever it is you want. That’s the nature of roleplay. No one can force you to roleplay anything you don’t want. But that is something to be noted.

2 Likes

Now now, children. Don’t make me have to turn this thread around or you’ll both be in big trouble. And before you say anything: NO! I don’t care who started it.

2 Likes

Look at it this way: doing it your way is like owning a farm and growing your own produce, raising your own animals, and eventually bringing it to table. It’s a feat and it’s satisfying and you can say it’s all your own. But with using the game and using the lore available to us is like being able to use the entire contents of a supermarket to cook with and money isn’t an object. The only limitation is what you want and what you’re willing to go get. I’ve done this kind of RP and I’m telling you people still make deep and interesting characters.

Except I’m not deriding anyone for their choices. I’m still saying this kind of RP is a way to do things. But I’m suggesting that there are other ways and there are plenty of people in these forums who agree and even more who are already doing it on other servers just like people on retail do mostly what you’re talking about - and that’s cool by me.

Well yes but we’re all older and wiser now - I’d hope - so maybe now we can avert this sort of thing or be better on the lookout for it. We don’t need to act like community arbiters; ignore and friend and guild functions exist for a reason.

It was canon by and large at this point and in fact lots of the RPG book lore was used as the basis for WoW’s quests, stories and zones. So I’m going to use it because we can’t act like the writing or world-building has been good since the end of Wrath. There are gold nuggets but it’s mostly a muddy river.

I don’t wanna keep saying this every time you say something like this so I won’t. I’m not trying to start a movement here. I’m merely offering a different path and it’s one many have already taken and are very happy with it. I’m not here to tell people how they can and can’t RP. I’m just sticking up for another way.

1 Like

A good chunk of us are here :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes yes, shameless self promotion.

Though, there are a few discords / Guilds discussing where to go and so on, i think there would probably be two or three RP servers, Sorta why we are fighting for an RP-PVP server, it’s fair to say we’ll probably roll on a PvP server instead of a RP server, could also check Reddit.

1 Like

Yeah. Probably. Personally I plan on considering it like an alternate universe to roll new characters in.

1 Like

Just watch any good deep tabletop podcasts or videos, and you’ll see deep, interesting characters made around the more game-oriented adventures. I’m not saying it cannot be done. Most of my characters started their concepts being knee-deep in descriptive, micro-managed systems.

What I am saying is that, typically, more roleplayers are interested in the little story and character details. As more roleplayers are involved, the less emphasis on micromanagement starts to happen. A small group will be able to handle managing their won inventory and gear and be able to use that to their advantage in RP.

3 guilds with maybe 10-15 active roleplayers each? Manageable.

Hundreds of players with no direct affiliation? That level of micromanagement gets glossed over. Some, i.e. many folks will stop worrying about how many soul shards they’re carrying or how many arrows they have in their quivers.

This depends on your community, of course.

I’m not deriding anyone for choosing to play that way, but I find a lot more roleplayers are willing to take their time to make sure all of the details are filled in as the occurence is happening.

On a strict procedural basis, if you just duel to determine your conflict resolution, a lot of details can get glanced by as you’re not taking your time. It leaves you with having to go back in your memory of the event. It takes some of the impetus of slowing down and being in that moment out of the equation, and some folks revel in being in the moment.

One would think, but it isn’t just the old timers returning with Classic, it’s people who never got to experience Classic, as well.

Despite some people thinking that Class is somehow only for them, it’s for everyone, from the folks who were born after Vanilla WoW launched and were too young to experience Vanilla, or the streamer fans, or new roleplayers who want to see the world as it was in Vanilla. And, even based on the responses I’ve seen here, even a lot of the older crowd aren’t… roleplay oriented and may not be as thoughtful as you or I.

1 Like

It’s an option - Go back in time, or start a new journey. Do you want to go to a different “timeline” or do you want to back in the timeline you already have?

I have an investment in my current characters on retail, and want to roleplay them in the past. I can also see people wanting to play as Timewalkers and heading into the past from the future of the Caverns of Time.

Or they can treat the RP realm as its own entity entirely, not based or econnected to any outside lore. Be a genuinely community-built realm with its own lore, etc.

Such possibilities are endless and varied.

What if the Scourge Invasion is the end of the timeline for one of these realms? Naxxramas is just the spearhead of a zombie apocalypse scenario from which no one will be able to move on? And that’s why that Classic realm does not move into TBC. It’s just the remaining survivors trying to stand up against the Scourge.

1 Like

I have zero interest in roleplaying more time travel/dimension hopping/shark jumping nonsense. One of the things I liked about WoW is the world seemed a little more grounded (not quite so high fantasy, though it is a high fantasy setting). Leave the shark jumping for the follow on Classic Expansions. Or don’t. I know I’ll be playing a fresh character(s).

6 Likes

You or your people died here…we are Undead here.

“We Who Are Dead Can Never Die…”

I personally plan to just ignore/dismiss as insane anyone who tries to pretend that they are time travelers or that this is an alternate dimension/timeline. Keep that crap out of this IMHO. Classic will let us roleplay a simpler and more immersive time without all the nonsense they added later on. Let’s keep it that way!

5 Likes

You can’t put the genie back in the bottle. To think that everyone is going to ignore the events and changes of retail is folly, especially when there is a mountain of evidence that much of this was already in place.

Time travel? Rhonin and the War of the Ancients (published circa 2004), further exemplified that the Caverns of Time and the Brood of Nozdormu (added in 1.9) existed.

In the lives of most mortals, time is nothing more but a simple hourglass, its sands quietly trickling away. Only few ever realize that in truth, time rages like a storm, untamed and chaotic. When the Titans first descended on Azeroth, vanquishing the Old Gods and bringing order to the world, the Highfather of the Pantheon himself empowered the great dragon Nozdormu with some of his own cosmic powers, enabling the dragon to guard time itself and police the ever-spinning pathways of fate and destiny. And so, the stoic, honorable Nozdormu became known as the Timeless One. Ever since then, Nozdormu’s Brood has guarded the timestream from all who would seek to disrupt its flow, guided by the Timeless One’s wise, all-knowing counsel. <

This was baked into Vanilla WoW, the likelihood is that you are going to get time travelers. You aren’t going to stop that.

What you can do is insist on is rules, or only allow yourself to interact with time travel or the “extended retail universe”.

The reality is that ot everyone is going to be on the same page when it comes to Classic roleplay. I mentioned that there are multiple avenues of how your Classic Roleplay community may view lore.

Some like those on this particular forum, will want and try to hold Classic like it was Vanilla-era lore. The roleplaying game books, novels, comics, etcetera may be the ‘extended universe’. Time travel is possible because the books make it possible, and the game makes enough noise about it to make it possible.

I suspect a lot more will try to hold the retail lore - because those are still canon, unlike the RPG books. Time travel and the rules for time travel in the universe are already in the retail version.

But this, being an active fan community, it will probably become at least two distinct playstyles and acceptance of lore.

2 Likes

Something I’ve wondered is if they will tamper with the original questlines and storylines so things are in continuity with the retail universe. That’s something that would definitely get me to not play.

2 Likes

There is a difference between acknowledging things that exist in the lore now according to Chronicles when they weren’t known in Vanilla and trying to pretend you’re actually a time traveler who is going to tell us that in however many years Deathwing is going to awaken and destroy the world. That’s the sort of person I, and hopefully the larger RP community, will summarily ignore, or at the least treat like some crazy person.

5 Likes

I don’t believe this will be the case, as the purpose of Classic is to best recreate the Vanilla experience, using as much Vanilla data as possible.

Quests and characters should appear as they did in Vanilla, though that does not mean they may not have a cosmetic change to keep them in line with their retail counterparts. We’ll have to see if Thrall uses a base model orc or if Sylvanas (or every other high elf) is a Night Elf.

Well, that’s straight-up a metagamer, and they’re generally not considered good roleplayers anyway. Nothing lost if you ignore someone like that.

In the cases of historical roleplay, in a different era, it’s generally considered bad form, even as a time travller, to reveal too much of the future for characters of that time era.

In lore, it’s also contrary to the ‘rules’ as displayed by the Bronze Dragonflight. There’s rules to not alerting the past to knowledge of the future, and those other future allied races would wind up having to don the disguise of one of the Classic races, etc.

I believe that most roleplayers will represent the era Vanilla takes place in. Time travel should be rare, and such time travelers should be like dragon roleplayers - no one should know that you are one.

But you know roleplayers, there are so many who just can’t stop themselves from revealing how awesome and special their character is.

1 Like

I would be against those changes personally. However I would not put it past Blizzard to shoe-horn in Chronicles lore as being canon even back in that iteration of the game.

I can’t think of many Chronicles retcons that would directly affect Classic lore. A great deal of the retcons in Chronicles primarily affects characters and races that don’t appear until the expansions.

The most I can think of is how Chronicle clarifies motivations, or alters a few items that are not directly referenced in Vanilla WoW. The history of the Tauren, for instance, has them be a cousin race to the yaungol, but later, it’s retconned to be that the yaungol are the progenitor race of the Tauren, but there’s nothing really mentioning there even being a yaungol in Vanilla WoW, or the tabletop RPG, afaik.

Things like this. Thrall is born in year 1 instead of year 0 (when the Dark Portal first opened), etc. Llane Wrynn is assassinated in year 3, and not year 4, eetc.

Med’an is a big retcon, but he never appeared in Vanilla anyway.

1 Like

That’s along the lines of what I was thinking as well, I’d kind of like it if there was only a single RP server because non-RPers wouldn’t put up with the population and it’d always be healthy, ideally. Nowadays your typical RP server (but a few I’m not on) are just low pop normal servers for all purposes, no one’s talking, no one’s RPing even though the people are friendly as ever. RP til I D.I.E. (out of this game). :laughing:

1 Like

I like rp but I’d never rp in Classic.

You think people are bad now? Just wait for the inevitable

“I’m a death knight that escaped from the Ebon Hold. Wheres that? Oh, It’s in the Eastern Plaguelands.”

“What do you mean humans can’t be druids? I’m from Kul Tiras!”

“Oh, I’m not from Outland. I’m from an alternate draenor. When I walked through the time portal opened by Garrosh it must have sent me back here. Oh, Garrosh? He’s the old Warchief of the Horde. No of course Thrall doesn’t die.”

1 Like