Rogues Who Refuse To Open Chests For Group

I hear ya. It’s your character, and you did take the time to level lock pick. I agree with your right (Speaking as a tank warrior) to keep all the locked chest items.

However, please notify your group BEFORE they head out that you will not be opening locked chests for anyone. That’s all I ask. Make sure you take the initiative to let the group know before they head out.

17 Likes

I appreciate the respectful talk and not being toxic, but I personally don’t believe in their right to not open them. I mean…

Locks summon people to help save time. Mages give free water to the healer to help move things along. Battle rez’s come out to save wipes. Every class has niche. Rogues give the group more rolls on chests that would otherwise be locked. Just seems like a douche move to refuse to open them or share. Now if you’re in a city? Sure, get tipped. But if you got taken along for the dungeon, I’m doing YOU a favor too.

60 Likes

The reason they don’t say it ahead of time is that they would be immediately kicked and replaced with one of the 250 other dps looking for a spot.

69 Likes

Precisely. And with good reason too. Nobody has time for that lol.

5 Likes

I just out rogue them, after they give their little speech about how special and unique they are and how the locked chests belong to them I pull the mobs around the chest then pop it with a skeleton key and tell them that they just got rogued.

Then I kick em and ignore them and have the group roll on the loot it takes very little time to replace the rogue if we even need a 3rd dps.

21 Likes

In all seriousness, just kick rogues that try and pull that. It’s super easy to replace them.

13 Likes

It wasn’t respectful, it was a threat.

1 Like

Its easier to just rid yourself of the selfish cancer player. They’ll figure it out eventually, when half the server has them on ignore.

If a player shows me blatant selfish behavior, instant kick. No point risking them ninja looting or wiping us because of their hissy fit later in the instance.

5 Likes

compulsory behavior… =\ history has shown us that hasnt worked out so well

anyway they can just lie and say they didnt level lockpocking, problem solved

2 Likes

What part of the OP’s post was a threat?

For sure. I’m just saying I think it’s an unnecessary and selfish thing to do is all.

1 Like

I know right? Get this - the other day, a mage refused to make multiple portals to different locations for free, after we finished an instance.

I mean, the nerve right? Obviously I blacklisted him and start talking trash about him being a selfish and cancerous player. Don’t play mage if you don’t want to give away free portals, amirite?

10 Likes

Mages don’t have to worry about professions coming along that can make portals in their place. Rogues, however, do not fill any role someone else can’t do as well (or, in some cases, better). A rogue that feels itself entitled to locked chests should really be rethinking its priorities considering the following information:

Mages bring higher DPS, vastly superior utility, and an assortment of CC that is useful in a wide variety of situations; fury warriors bring considerably higher DPS in addition to being more durable and having a bit more self-sustain; warlocks bring comparable DPS, cookies, soulstones, summons, and can provide additional CC in a pinch; feral druids bring comparable DPS and inherently superior stealth; blacksmiths and engineers, both of which are extremely common, can open locked chests and doors.

2 Likes

But, it isn’t their right to the chest.

6 Likes

If they say they don’t have the skill leveled, after final boss is cleared, boot the Rogue and reset the instance.

9 Likes

Provide them with the reagent/cost of it, and you’d have a point.

3 Likes

As someone who mained a rogue in vanilla, I agree. However, I have a gripe with the double standards the broader community seems to employ against rogues.

The closest comparison to a rogue’s LP is mage portals, in my opinion. It’s courtesy for a mage to provide a portal after an instance. However, nobody will vilify the mage if he doesn’t provide a free portal, or the group might give the mage a tip for the portal.

With rogues though, it’s ‘UNLOCK, NOW, OR GET THE BOOT AND A BLACKLIST, YOU DIRTY DIME-A-DOZEN LOOTHOG’.

Exactly my argument above. I think the rogue should at least deserve a tip or a thank you, not be expected to unlock.

13 Likes

Is it? It doesn’t cost them anything to pick a lock, but it costs a Mage something to open a portal. There’s also no worry that the Mage will come back later to loot what they previously didn’t unlock… as they can’t even do that.

I don’t get the whole massive overreaction and haven’t seen it, but I haven’t even seen many rogues not willing to pick a lock either.

1 Like

Exactly hehe

Nah funk that noise that’s an auto blacklist.

1 Like

It costs a significant time investment to level a rogue’s lockpicking. Not a tremendously world-ending investment, but substantial enough that the rogue could easily have spent levelling or earning gold instead. And it’s a teduous chore to level. As the goblins say “time is money, friend”.

I think you’re right that the issue is overplayed on the forums and isn’t really that big a deal in-game, but you would never get people saying things like this about mage portals.

4 Likes