Riskbreaker – Pagle; Bracket Breaker

I’m not writing this to start discussion, not to brag or claim any kind of credit for anything, but as a record of things that happened.

If you’re someone who doesn’t PvP then this might seem irrelevant to you, but I assure you, this goes beyond just PvP. If you had heard the rumors across the servers (during P5) of a holy paladin going around and breaking honor brackets then you probably know the amount of drama and commotion he started. If you haven’t, well, I’m him.

I’ve been called many names like ‘Pagle boy’, ‘fish boy’, ‘bagle man’, but most called me the bracket breaker. And if you find anyone else with the name Riskbreaker then he is not me, period.

I became known in the PvP scene for my reputation of 'not complying with the rules’. Whatever the case, I play on a little PvE server called Pagle. But Pagle is not little, it’s actually bordering on overpopulation, with some who think themselves better than the rest. As for myself, all I wanted to do was relax from a past life of PvP and other IRL stuff, but I guess such things were too much to ask for.

So, I chose to play on PvE Pagle because I had no intention of doing PvP. All I wanted was to see what Classic was like since I was never around at the time, but like I said, things changed. So when I finally decided to enter the BGs no one took me seriously because of the ‘Pagle’ tag behind my name. I suppose one day people will learn that skill is not tied to what realm you come from. Anyway, over time the more they saw me and what I can do, the less they brought up those PvE Pagle-no skill excuses. And I can tell you, what made my name known was the fact that I’ve proven so many people wrong.

I had written part of this story already in the PvP discord, so here’s a short summary: up until phase 5, the bug patch, I had not set one single foot into a BG, not 1 killing blow, not even 1 (dis)honorable kill, I was busy doing quests, dungeons and raids. Like I said, I wanted to get a taste of the Classic experience, and it was going okay so far, I was in a guild and everything, but that all changed, so I took a break and came back, and that’s when all the problems started.

Before I continue, let me first state that when I started my BG grind, I had no idea what ranking was. I knew there was a ranking system, I’d heard of it before; the grind to R14, but I had no idea how it worked, or what brackets were or ranking points or any of that, simply because I didn’t care. It’s hard to believe isn’t it, that someone doesn’t care about ranking points, well guess what, now you know that there’s at least 1 person like that. But I’m sure you’d like to know the reason for why I decided to do so many BGs that it caused all this attention. Simply put: I just had the time and wanted to see how far I would get before I ‘quit’.

Some may guess and say I did this for the clout, fame or glory, but I didn’t care for those things. My goal was just to see how far I could get, since I had a large chunk of time available to me, and chose to spend it by grinding BGs like I used to do in a past life. I was hoping to do it without getting noticed, but I didn’t know people could see my numbers without inspecting.

So basically, after taking a break from the game, I decided to start playing again and since I was no longer in a guild I was mostly just pugging raids and doing quests. Eventually I ended up in some AQ20s and kept seeing a holy paladin floating at the title of ‘Commander’ for several weeks and thinking to myself; ‘How bad is this grind that this guy was floating at this rank?’
If someone was floating at R11 for more than a month then it meant that this was one serious grind. So that’s what pushed me to try it.

I had a bunch of free time, so next to pugging raids all I had to do was do BGs as much as possible and see how far I got so I can see for myself how hard this grind really is, and that was it. But let me rephrase; this grind was mainly my way of getting away from my IRL problems, simple as that.

So I ended up starting in the middle of the week, so that my first bunch of points added up from about 3 or so days of grinding which landed me at Master Sergeant (R4) or Bracket 9. That’s when the first whisper came in from a player from a certain high-end guild who think themselves important. While I feel tempted to name them for what they did to me, I won’t. But I didn’t catch the attention of 1 guild, but many, they knew about me and came after me.

Me and this player had exchanged words and I told him my reasoning for grinding and he explained his part and then he said GL and everything was supposed to be fine. Right until the 2nd week, after getting a whisper from him again and a bunch of random others complaining in whispers about what I was doing, I realized what I’d be getting myself into, that they wouldn’t let it go. This particular player had started the grind months before and quit half-way through, then he insisted that it would be too hard for me to finish, that I would also quit, or burn out. For weeks on end he wouldn’t stop and kept complaining and kept trying to persuade me to stop. Then a few others decided to join him.

For the record: if you put someone on ignore then don’t whisper them, because you’re too coward to listen to what they have to say. If they purposefully call you by a different name then deal with it, move on in your little bubble.

So how do I describe what happened to me, hm. What is considered toxic behavior? You know like when people whisper you a bunch of hate messages or childish behavior, passive aggressive remarks, or harass you because they can’t get things to go their way, well something like that. I can’t explain everything in detail, but I have it all in memory. Regardless of the opposition in my way, I stuck with it. I decided to PvP and no one was gonna change that. But the reason I’m writing this is not to brag or to shame anyone, but rather to set the record straight for everything that happened.

They say that I caused a lot of problems, that a lot of people were angry with me, do I look like I care about their anger? How many people are angry for more serious things in their lives and never have it resolved? I was angry about other things in my life, but they couldn’t tell and that’s why I kept going, because of all the whining for something so simple as a title in a video game. But that’s why in the end they can’t face me or speak to me anymore because they know they lost even though during the grind they would not shut up.

I’m writing this now to show those who don’t know better how they’ve been deluded into believing the wrong things rather than the actual truth. And I say this not just to Pagle, but ALL REALMS, because I’ve seen many things in those BGs, and this nonsense must end.

I reached Grand Marshal on my own, by solo-queueing; no premades, no groups, no hand-outs. Even when it was offered to me, I refused, even when they told me to go lower in honor, I refused, simply because I was exercising my right of freedom to do what I want in this video game.

“Join the gentlemen’s club and make things easier on yourself”, they told me, no I said - listen to what I’m saying and stop annoying me with your excuses.

Many will say that I broke the rules, but if I did then I would have gotten banned by Blizzard long ago. But yes, I was still banned for 8 days, suspended, but it was not because Blizzard did so directly, it was because the system was manipulated by these same guys who wanted me to quit, the same ones who I mentioned from the high-end guilds on the realm. Do a top ten guild search if you want and you’ll find most of them. It’s always these elitists who want to stand in your way, and prevent you from achieving what you want even if you are capable.

Yes, I achieved R14 solo, so it’s an accomplishment I can say I earned because each match I worked for, each win I helped to achieve, skirmishes and banters I enjoyed. Again, no carries. And though I wish I could say I had 0 carries, it’s inevitable that I would join a few premades here and there, it’s unavoidable when you random queue, but I was more often part of the ones facing a premade rather than being part of it. (I also admit that I got the points because these guys granted me a spot didn’t go too high with the brackets.)

Many times our pug groups would just stay dead at the GY and let the premade cap their 3 flags or 5 cap in AB so the Horde can get their free win. Yes, FREE wins, by doing 0 PvP. Is that how you earn R14? Is something earned if you get it for free? My grind is not the same as the grind of those who group and stomp randos. All of my wins were hard-fought, and I met legendary players along the way too, I remember their names by their skill, and I can name them and their realms. I could never know this many players if I was just queueing with the same ppl over and over. This is why my name spread as far as it did, because of the sheer number of players I met on both alliance and horde (enemy) and the battles we shared.

This is why many of these guys come standing in front of me with their Grand Marshal titles to brag or think somehow that we’re the same. Our games were not the same, and our titles hold different weight, and obviously so. My hours were not 15+ hours each WEEK, but 15+ hours each DAY. Many told me that I was wasting my time, but how can I be wasting my time if I choose to spend it on something I enjoy? Again, free wins are not the same as actually fighting and earning that flag cap in WSG, or 3 capping in AB, or even that extremely rare Drek’thar kill, emphasis on extremely if it’s not AV weekend.

It’s one thing to achieve GM, it’s a whole other feat to go through the large spectrum of random players in BGs and experience the multiple levels of PvP, hence the word random. I’ve had some legendary games though, that could have been placed in a hall of fame of their own, just for being so memorable. You don’t get games like those by queueing with the same group of people each week for free wins. The title of Grand Marshal was not meant for so many to have.

Many who have achieved GM may dislike me for saying these things, but please let me direct you to the World’s First R14; I would highly recommend you read his post and his journey to R14. He even stated that to this day he has not entered WSG (Warsong Gulch) again because of how badly the whole experience affected him, and I can tell you that though I may not know what exactly he went through, I went through something strange myself during my final weekend of grinding WSG that I see it ‘differently’, let’s say. But I still queue so I’m not as badly affected as he is.

I will explain why I’m saying this and if you’ve read the post of the WFR14 you’ll understand why. Grand Marshal was not meant for everyone. When I told this player who whispered me that they were manipulating the system, he brought up the excuse to get away with it. But human beings will always try to manipulate things in order to get what they want.

So I say again, the ranking system is designed as intended, or it would have been changed long ago, it’s the reason people start it after all - to climb the ranks, and because it’s considered difficult to do, same reason people climb Mt Everest.

But the road to GM was more brutal than it is now. WFR14 posted that there was no bar to show progress each week, and his friends had hit walls at R11 for many weeks until they gave up. The road had become so thin to progress that they just wanted the points to advance, so they started trading wins, until they realized that only 1 person can be at the top at R14. If I remember he said you had to hold standing 1 for like a month or something to advance. I can’t remember the specifics, but the point is, it was very brutal and very discouraging, so much so that it traumatized him, not like today where you have honor spy and where R14 is handed out like legendaries in retail.

Yes, this grind was meant to be brutal, for those who had that large chunk of time, and for those who enjoyed PvP. But the problem is that when players in a game see a bar that can go up they feel the need to max it out (reputations), but most only do so for the rewards, or for the prestige, to brag to others. Because there are other bars that give no rewards and they don’t care to max those. In the case of these ranks, people were grinding so hard that it was causing them damage IRL, so Blizzard decided to be more forgiving, and lower the requirements so that more people can achieve R14 and not kill themselves.

EDIT: Part 2 is lower below if you’re interested, also changed minor things for accuracy. I only made this post because someone said to warn others if you know they are doing wrong.

15 Likes

Well… at least this wall has paragraphs.

34 Likes

New phone. Who dis?

8 Likes

Look I didn’t read your novel but I want to thank you all on Pagle alliance for giving horde pugs the opportunity to guarentee a win vs a Pagle premade.

17 Likes

i didn’t read any of that :slight_smile: TAKE WHATS YOURS it’s naxx ranking don’t let some nerd tell you when to stop gaming

4 Likes

Not a complaint, merely a setting a record of things that are bigger than a title in a video game.

This badly needs a TLDR.

10 Likes

But sadly no TLDR

8 Likes

There are no rules. Player made rules aren’t enforced by blizzard so bracket runners can shove it.

So wait… you don’t have to follow pvp ranking made up rules but apparently reserving loot in a dungeon is somehow wrong to you?

You’re delusions started showing the longer your post got. You should have kept it to pvp.

5 Likes

This reads too much like another Kade thread.

Op, have you considered shortening your posts?

11 Likes

Ok, I read your entire thing. As expected by the comments most people didn’t read it didn’t due to the LONG length.

First off, this part is a huge red flag, you never explained it but this was BEFORE you started ranking.

Getting blacklisted from raiding on a larger realm like Pagle is pretty hard. I doubt it had anything to do with a “few people who slandered your name”. This sounds to me like you were already having problems working with the community of your server, likely due to being a toxic and attention-seeking individual.

Some comments:

1. A majority of the posters here have no issues with bracket breakers as “nobody is going to tell them what to do” (while ignoring the benefits of brackets), so you came to the right place for support for that.
  2. You did not single handedly change the PVP reputation of the Pagle server by doing solo BGs.
  3. You ranked so late in the game that even those who semi-wanted rank 14 had gotten it already (on their mains anyway) and the gear is largely irrelevant now.
  4. Almost nobody outside of your realm knows who you are and people on your realm know who you are because you have made a bad name for yourself. Due to so few people PVPing these days you did make some friends cross-server after PVPing with them over and over. That’s great. That doesn’t mean you’ve made a huge name for yourself.
  5. There are people who posted on these forums who solo got rank 14 IN APRIL when doing so was far more time-intensive. Due to more premades, they spent most of their days as ghosts in their graveyard. We are talking about phase 5 and 6 ranking here.

There is nothing hard about this to believe. You sound like the typical person who has a week off from work and grinds PVP all week due to a false belief, after no research, that a person can go from rank 3 to 7 in one week.

Off-topic but you included it. So what. Maybe his guild had really lucky drops and all the tanks etc who wanted it had it and no one else wanted it. MC has been out for over a year.

There is NOTHING in your post that shows you trying to avoid drama. Your post is just full of you looking for it.

Actually, it’s more the people who participate in bracket stacking and stuff who have tried to make it easier for everyone. You didn’t care because you think of yourself as special.

I mean to me it’s pretty obvious that this was all about trying to get attention and escape from your real life problems (that you stated right in your post you had). I’m sorry to hear about your real-life problems and I’m glad you found an escape, but there is nothing special here.

24 Likes

What if people just want to pvp and don’t care about “benefits of brackets”. What if they just pvp all day long and it happens to break your brackets. I find it hilarious that you think people care about your arbitrary made up rules.

7 Likes

so you’re the reason the pagle alliance premades are so bad that they regularly lose to horde pugs? lmao

6 Likes

I’m not going to discuss bracket stuff with you again Rozen. You called me wrong before and never actually debated any of my points, so I’m done talking about it with you. I’ll still talk to you about other topics. My server is fully FFA now on both sides due to next to no one ranking. You have the right to your opinion.

Most of my reply to this guy was just me saying he’s not special, because he didn’t do anything special. I hardly even said anything about his bracket breaking. At least I read his whole post. I doubt you did.

What is your opinion of him getting blacklisted for raiding on his large server before ever touching PVP?

Life isnt fair. The game isn’t fair. Take me for example. One day I was just sitting there minding my own business , then the next thing I know my life got flipped, turned upside down And I’d like to take a minute just sit right here I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air In west Philadelphia born and raised On the playground where I spent most of my days Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school When a couple of guys who were up to no good Started making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared And said you’re moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air I begged and pleaded with her the other day But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way She gave me a kissin’ and she gave me my ticket I put my Walkman on and said I might as well kick it First class, yo this is bad, Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass Is this what the people of Bel Air livin’ like Hm this might be alright! I whistled for a cab and when it came near the License plate said ‘Fresh’ and had dice in the mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare But I thought now forget it, yo home to Bel Air I pulled up to a house about seven or eight And I yelled to the cabbie, yo Holmes smell ya later Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel Air

12 Likes

Can someone give me a TLDR? I get the feeling there is something there, but I’m not reading a dissertation to get to it.

He ranked to 14 solo in phase 5 and 6 and he says it was hard. He also thinks that he’s famous on multiple servers and that he (solo) made Pagle a server that is respected for PVP. There are a few PVE comments thrown in including him being blacklisted from raiding before PVPing. That’s pretty much the TLDR.

1 Like

I remember bumping into you while ranking. You’d spout off the most annoying strategies while being completely oblivious that you were being carried by a premade.

You would always cause a scene in the BG chat of every game I was in.

9 Likes

So a complete drama *“lady of the evening” who’s sole means of getting people to notice them occurs via acting out, then proceeds to act out repeatedly in game in a desperate bid for attention… followed by writing a novel about a subject no one not on pagle actually cares about, in the hopes of milking it for even more attention?

@thread in general:
Grats on getting 14 at the easiest point in classic’s lifespan when no one else really cares, OP. Get some usage out of it while you can, before it all becomes easily purchased honor gear in a pre-bc patch, and good luck in BC with the reputation you’ve now allegedly earned.

That said, for any Pagle trash that still couldn’t beat out a lone sperg solo queuing with your premades, during the easiest period of the entire classic era to do so in, absolutely none of you deserved r14 either.

5 Likes

didnt read it. you ranked on pagle, doesnt really matter. hopefully u hit 14 before tbc if u havent already