Rise of Azshara Story Discussion (SPOILERS)

Here is a question, if N’Zoth gets killed do the Naga, and Azshara, revert back to their Night Elf selves?

They transform into night elves but with bad scale textures painted on and become an allied race. And the monkey’s paw curls another finger.

5 Likes

Big Oof…

1 Like

Thalyssra’s life is, fittingly, one long instance of dunked on by better mages.

1 Like

I think it’s can’t. WoW’s been doing spectacle driven, soap opera-style, generic-ish fantasy for a while and THAT part is certainly by design. As mentioned before, it is the same tone as your usual multi-book fantasy epic or comic book series or blockbuster franchise. It’s accessible. It’s easy to get into. Many MMO’s weren’t doing it at the time.

The problem is that the overwhelming majority of multi-book fantasy epics, comic book series, and blockbuster franchise really aren’t all that well written. Very few people can deliver super well written stories when working with this material/tone, and most that can either don’t work in that genre or charge more than most people can reasonably afford.

It’s easy to say, “We’ll find someone who can do great writing another chapter in a decades long genre work, at super competitive prices, and all before someone else recognizes their talent and offers them more money in a more respected field!” but that is not something you can just will into existence.

And then that person also has to work within the limitations of the rest of the development team in order to make the material work. It doesn’t matter how well your prose and plot is if the development team is only going to crank out a couple of quests, instances, and cinematics (probably scrapping a lot) that’re required for proper pacing and scope.

2 Likes

So in the Tauren heritage armor questline, we see a return of the mysterious shades/spirits that have been haunting Vol’jin’s ghost and trying to stop any attempt to figure out who asked him to make Sylvanas Warchief. They don’t seem to be directly connected to the void either.

I think Kel’thuzad is moving in the Shadowlands. I think we’re gonna see a Scourge 2.0, lads and lassies. Am keen.

1 Like

Why Kel’thuzad, specifically

He’s a big villain with a reason to be brought back, being that he’s not dead. Blizzard loves their iconic baddies.

That’s why I personally guess it’s him. Can’t speak for others :o

2 Likes

More or less what Quinn said. I think Blizz recognises that their peak, storywise, was Wotlk and even pre wow, with the Scourge. Kel Thuzad is a missing lore character that’s been asked about several times, and recently was confirmed to be in the Shadowlands. He’s interacted with the world as a spirit before, guiding Arthas and his attack on Quel’thalas in Warcraft 3, and he’s worked with his enemies before, making a deal with Balnazzar to obtain the Ashbringer for naxxramas. He’s clever and cunning, and I can see him trying to manipulate the sheer scale of death this war brings to his advantage. And as Quinn said, they love dredging up old villains.

I’ve got no real evidence of this. Just a strong inkling.

This is painfully clear when the Horde breaks out Talanji.When Jaina first confronts the horde she herself declares that the human was stronger than her.I kinda miss Elissande now.She had a cool hat and actually looked like a leader.

An inkling is as valid as anything at this point. And you’re right that Blizzard loves revisiting their old hits. I was just wondering if people knew something I didn’t.

The Nightborne are kind of getting done dirty. Their leader joins the Horde because her feelings got hurt, then proceeds to be mostly useless in the face of the adversity, routinely getting punked by the Dark Iron.

If you’re not the Horde race in charge, you’re the Horde race getting made to look stupid so they can look better.

4 Likes

At this point I kind of feel like its the only way Blizzard knows how to give races the spotlight, gotta make everyone else useless/morons

4 Likes

Except for Humans because got to have that Human Potential in there to make them look amazing.

1 Like

So Wowhead has a summary of the Nazjatar plot. Nothing really groundbreaking and only serves to further convince me its MoP 2.

Did run across this article though:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/26/wow-factor-what-could-win-back-the-crowd-for-the-next-world-of-warcraft-expansion/

It’s a bad story told badly with lazy writing and character development.

Is a great summary of BfAs story

The sole interesting point is that the Heart of Azeroth was used to free N’Zoth (though I guess that fails?) And that’s more interesting because it suggests that they’re really keeping to Il’gynoth’s ramblings.

Which means Sylvanas is gonna die again and I guess that’s the twist that makes this not like MoP.

I don’t know if here is the place to do it or not but I am so high key tired of vague prophetic word vomit. It’s just in setting expansion speculation threads from the forums. I hate the thought that a mindbending entity of deep, eldritch persuasion just basically told us the events leading up to the big reveal.

“But it’s about the speculation, it’s about the journey!”

No it’s not. Nobody cares about the lies or the keys or the stars or the deaths. They’re just plot functions we were given ample time to completely exhaust all enjoyment and speculation on far too early.

1 Like

But it does have a sole interesting point.

Improvements are being made

:sob:

2 Likes

Muad’dib died of prescience.

I don’t know. Last time I brought it up, someone was pointing out that they hate prophecies largely for the opposite reason- narratives don’t actually ever follow them and they’re never really a look into what’s going to happen in the future.

I always figured the realities of animation/game development meant that WoW’s stories (or at least the bigger story beats) were always plotted out years in advance, but I’m more surprised they’re kind of sticking to their guns and not shifting so far away from their long term story plans.

Probably why we hear “Wait and see” so much.

1 Like

It reminds me a lot of the Hidden Artifact Skins in Legion. The handful of skins that, it turns out, were literally broken and Blizz refused to admit it but let the communities whip themselves into a frenzy (and then an apathetic, tired lump) over the course of months. Exploring every nook and cranny of the game world, reading all sorts of ingame text and dialogue, and finding nothing, only for Blizz to pop in months later like “oh it just hadn’t spawned yet” like anyone would believe that they hadn’t activated it.

1 Like