RIP TBC Arena

How do they manage to ruin something so great so very easily with one swift change???

Is nobody over seeing the decision making? There is NO way more than 1 person or group thought this change was a good idea?

What in the world?

42 Likes

Been watching some TBC beta streams. Looks amazing. I’m not very good at arena but I can’t wait to get in there.

3 Likes

We’ve already got too many topics discussing this matter and so I will pop in here simply to point out the funniness of “Enjoyable PvP” being protested by someone named “Gankzilla”

10 Likes

I assume you haven’t done the math either as well as the dude that made the changes to arena… Go ahead and figure up how long it will take you to get a SINGLE piece starting at zero rating with rating requirements.

Check back in after you learn how to add 2+2

5 Likes

Am I speaking to a bot right now? There’s no logical reason you would create a response like that to the post I made if you were an actual human being

Four minutes? Is the answer four minutes?

2 Likes

Only bad players are worried about the rating changes.

9 Likes

98.5% of arena players (not the general population, which makes it 99%) are bad then because they aren’t getting a weapon at 2050. In retail, right now, only 1.5% of area players are over 2050 and only a fraction percentage of the general population would make that. Not making a judgment call on it, just saying that’s what it is. You won’t be getting a weapon, for example. Are you bad?

13 Likes

I think you’re overreacting. Or trolling. Rating requirements on gear WERE in TBC, they just didn’t begin until S3. This isn’t a crazy, left-field change. They would have ended up in TBC either way, this is just sooner than I would have predicted. Not that it matters because the S1 epic gear isn’t particularly strong. For example:

The battleground rare cloth leggings: 22 intellect and 33 spell power
The S1 gladiator epic cloth leggings: 25 intellect and 48 spell power

It’s not a huge deal if you don’t have them. There are only 5 pieces of S1 gear that require rating and you won’t be particularly disadvantaged by not having them. The weapon is a big upgrade for sure, and it requires a hefty 2050 rating. But welfare epic weapons aren’t a good idea anyway. It can take 6+ weeks of raiding before you MIGHT get an epic weapon, so the thought of getting one for, essentially, free from arena is ridiculous.

Perhaps a decent compromise would have been to only have a 2200 rating for the weapons and no rating for the other S1 set pieces. That solves the obvious weapon problem without upsetting people like you that think a handful of stats is why you’re losing matches. But, alas, Blizzard went all the way and locked the whole set behind rating.

Again, not a big deal.

2 Likes

Specifically bad players that just want their PVE upgrades. Bad PVP focused players still appreciate the rewarding objective.

Tornados on Nagrand however are very stupid.

1 Like

RIP interesting threads.

3 Likes

Idk man that looks like a big difference to me. Then there’s resilience

3 Likes

A rogue that has the weapons will literally be carrying plebs like you for real $$$ to get said weapons

1 Like

Yep. Carries will absolutely be a thing. As they were in original TBC. My buddies and I made a fortune in Season-4 selling the 1850 rating to buy the Vengeance weapons. The money I made selling carries lasted well into Wrath of the Lich King. This will be no different. Four very geared and talented people will sell the 5th spot on 5vs5 teams and carry practically-AFK people that bought gold from boosted hunters. Welcome to the new and improved TBC.

Still, rating requirements are not the end of the world. The weapons SHOULD be locked behind 2000-2200 or so. They’re wildly strong. They were BiS for some specs, like Enhancement. The S1 Gladiator BoW is 0.5 DPS away from [Sunfury Bow of the Phoenix] from Karazhan, for christ’s sake. The rest of the gear is largely irrelevant and will be “welfare” honor gear by Season 2.

You guys realize you lose 0 rating and gain like 75-96 below 1200 right? This isn’t that big of a deal.

2 Likes

ya man no big deal for them to make changes to TBC no big deal at all…

Whats next though?

1 Like

We’re way past #nochanges lmao, alliance paladins are getting seal of blood. A literal balance / combat change. What’s next isn’t what this topic is about. It’s about TBC arena and the conversation was about starting at 0 rating.

Yeah you need to pop in and moderate the forums as per your job description.
Stay classy jay.

Not in season one they shouldn’t. Weapons shouldn’t be 2050 when T4 raids can be slept through. Putting gear this far out of line with PVE equivalent just kills arena participation.

4 Likes

The weapons are disproportionately powerful in S1. Of ALL THE SEASONS in TBC, S1 should be the one with weapon rating requirements. They could drop the requirements Seasons 2 - 4 and that’d be absolutely fine. That wouldn’t really effect gear progression pathways much. But season 1? When you’re likely wielding a rare quest reward weapon to jump from that garbage to a raid-quality epic weapon, guaranteed? That’s ridiculous.

You realize literally everyone would be running around with S1 Gladiator weapons, right? And that those weapons would trivialize almost every weapon available outside of a raid, right?

It’s a good change. The rating requirements on the rest of the gear… who cares. Those pieces aren’t monstrous upgrades in slots that are extremely hard to fill otherwise. They could remove rating requirements on the gear for the entire expansion… doesn’t matter. It’s the weapons, particularly those S1 weapons, that are a problem. They’re super strong and without rating gates, WAY too easy to get.

2 Likes