RIP Fry's Electronics

Gonna miss that place for all things nerd related. Was such a great set of stores back in the day.

Even got my original copy of WoW at the one in Orange County…

30 Likes

Man. Those stores were just fun to walk around in.

17 Likes

This a west coast thing ? I’ve never heard of them.

2 Likes

I built a monster audio rig using Fry’s years ago, still going strong.

Was a nerds Disneyland in that place, and when I messed up a chip install or something I’d just go back and switch it out, the folks there never batted an eyelid, always great service.

9 Likes

Yes they were.

I lived about 1.5 miles from the Egyptian themed store for many years. It was like living near a candy store for nerds, back in the day.

Honestly, I’m surprised they hung on as long as they did, once most of what they sold became readily available online. There used to be big lines there all the time. Christmas was nuts. However, it’s been mostly deserted for, IDK, 10 years? Maybe longer.

Amusingly, there’s a Fry’s grocery store where I live now. Gave me quite a double-take when I moved here. Started by the same family, originally, but now a Kroger division.

3 Likes

I bought quite a lot of anime from those stores lol.

Oh and Godzilla dvds once they started showing up more in the states.

Ah memories

1 Like

Always used to go to the massive one in Austin whenever my family visited there as a kid.

Shame to see it go but not a surprise.

1 Like

Yes, originally and mostly. They spread to other states, eventually, but I don’t think farther east than about TX.

2 Likes

Man…this makes me realize I still miss the Suncoast chain of stores. Anybody else know of those ones?

Mom and I would talk about Kaiju movies there ( she’s a gamera fan, I’m a godzilla nerd ) while I browsed the pocky selection.

4 Likes

Oh dang, they’re closing? I lived in LA for several years and Fry’s is where my husband (boyfriend at the time) bought his original copy of WoW after I convinced him to play. What a bummer. :confused:

8 States California, Arizona, Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Illinois, Florida and Washington State.

1 Like

Everything was shut down yesterday all stores and online.

I made a post about this in Off-Topic. Yeah, I’m going to miss Fry’s even though their glory days are long behind them. I spent thousands of dollars in there between 2001 and 2015. But they failed to adapt to the changing electronics retail market world. Their shelves have been very bare for several years and it was getting depressing just going in. My last purchase from them was a mouse pad and USB hub about a month ago. But back in the day… awesome.

They were kind of blaming Covid in their farewell posting on the company website, and I’m sure Covid hurt their business, but really it probably only hastened the inevitable by a year or two. The last time I looked, they had one PS4 game for sale. Not multiple copies of one game… literally one PS4 game. And it wasn’t a new release. The only PC software they had were a batch of those $5 games you can get at dollar stores. They had more makeup for sale than games. Who would ever go to Fry’s for makeup? Really!

1 Like

Seems silly to blame covid when you have other stores like Microcenter still booming with lines out the door trying to get in. Well thats how the one near me is.

2 Likes

Agreed. Not sure which location you shop at but there’s Microcenter in Richardson, TX, that’s booming.

1 Like

Im by the NJ location, always a line to get in from the times I have attempted to get a dam 3080 :cry:

I used to work right next door to the Sunnyvale store. It’s where I bought my current desktop. It was really, really sad to see the state it was in over the last few years. I was mystified how it was still open at all.

Figured CoVID would be the final nail in the coffin for that place, but some part of me wanted to hope that some of their other stores were faring better. The one off the 15 in San Diego seemed to do reasonable business, but that was 5 years ago that I was last in there.

Ooof. I used to work there, in the cage. Indy’s was naturally themed after the speedway, still have a picture of their picture that was the speedway before the city built up around it. Was a good place to work back in the 00’s… but they were slow to adapt to online ordering and pricing.

https://i.imgur.com/J86OoBe.jpg

OKAY now I’m hurt. I looked up the area near the frys electronics I used to go to. It was down the road from Metrocenter Mall in arizona. THE MALL IS CLOSED. That place was my dang childhood.