Righteous Fury Mechanics == OP Paladin Threat (1k+ TPS)

lol each GBoK threat is MULTIPLIED by the number of players for each class broheim

watch the video again and maybe pay attention this time to what they are actually describing in detail…

and read again here what Askalon wrote earlier in this thread:

2 Likes

kudos for posting our findings, I certainly couldn’t have done as detailed a write up and no one listens to me anyway ;p
I would like to emphasize this:

Although not intentional, by virtue of being a mechanic/bug that was left untampered with for the lifespan of WoW Vanilla up until the launch of The Burning Crusade, it is my personal opinion that the Righteous Fury mechanic should remain in Classic in its current state under the #nochanges rule, regardless of it being a bug.

for anyone skeptical:
https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=spellauranames&build=1.12.1.5875#search=10&page=1
https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=spelleffectnames&build=1.12.1.5875#search=6&page=1
https://classic.wowhead. om/spell=25780/righteous-fury
https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=7376/defensive-stance-passive
https://wow.tools/dbc/? dbc=spelleffect&build=1.13.2.31882#search=25780&page=1
https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=spelleffect&build=1.13.2.31882#search=7376&page=1 (third one)

not very likely

if you look at https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=spelleffectnames&build=1.12.1.5875#search=threat&page=1

you’ll see there is only two threat effects

and the second one is never used

in the 1.13 client

if you put 91 in effect(toggle filters first) https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=spelleffect&build=1.13.2.31882#search=&page=1

nothing shows up

granted that is the 1.13 client, but if anyone wants to try to find spell effect for 1.12, be my guest. they have a alpha build for spell, but not 1.12 for spell or spell effect

1 Like

ThelorasLast Wednesday at 10:54 AM
@Kevin Jordan - is this working correctly/as intended from your pov?

TLDR - no one ever thought that spamming Blessings and Seals could produce agro - all of which are modified by Righteous Fury
who needs a taunt lol

Kevin JordanLast Wednesday at 10:57 AM
Buffs do generate threat and Greater Blessings buff a number of people. I don’t remember the values but they should not generate any more or less threat than any other buff. What matters most here is the number of targets (running a lot of mages are you? :P) and Righteous Fury modifying it.

ThelorasLast Wednesday at 10:58 AM
was RF supposed to boost threat from everything and not just holy dmg abilities?
cuz that was my and every other theory crafter’s thought for years
and RF boosting Seals/Blessings made us all /boggle come classic

Kevin JordanLast Wednesday at 10:58 AM
Holy attacks only.

ThelorasLast Wednesday at 10:58 AM
ok so then this is a bug?

Kevin JordanLast Wednesday at 10:59 AM
if it’s modifying greater blessing threat generation, yes.

ThelorasLast Wednesday at 10:59 AM
ok thx for the feedback

Kevin JordanLast Thursday at 12:44 PM
Yes, it makes sense that Defensive Stance and Righteous Fury would be built the same but there may have been (or should have been) a script attached to Righteous Fury to limit it to attacks only. The warrior doesn’t have as many buffs as the paladin which is the reason the tooltips read the way they do to prevent that awkward paladin play pattern. Something we may have missed back then though. We also have #nochanges to contend with.

1 Like

I’d also like to highlight some points made in this thread:

Worse DPS than sunder? And mitigation can be made up for by wearing defensive gear, which doesn’t degrade threat generation. As for cost:

paladins can also generate threat during air phase [quote=“Askalon-pagle, post:39, topic:318279”]
Similar to Battle Shout, the threat of Greater Blessings is intended to be multiplied by the number of players buffed in a single cast.

That part that remains contested is whether Righteous Fury bug should be unaltered b/c #nochanges and continue to affect the threat of Greater Blessings and non-damaging Holy spells in general, similar to how Defensive Stance affects Battle Shout threat.
[/quote]

1 Like

Yes, I see that broheim – now how about 1/2 thru the raid encounter where he had no mana, lost threat during phase 2, and Onyxia had to be tanked by somebody else for the remainder? It’s a cute mechanic, and yes they can generate a lot of threat through unintended mechanics and coding, but is it very sustainable, even with SoW/JoW, for prolonged raid encounters without burning druid innervates (and even with)?

It’s a creative way to bypass Paladin shortfalls, albeit an additional upkeep of reagent spamming, lack of taunt, less mitigation, lower DPS, and poor resource management.

It was posted in the original Prot Paladin tanking thread during vanilla once RF was implemented.

I know this because I wrote and maintained the thread under Valarkin of Stormrage back in the day.

As a Prot Paladin I tanked MC, Ony, BWL and early AQ during vanilla.

Not needed until Twin Emps.

I had a Warrior b*tch…and they did what they were told!~

DS and BoP can be macro’d to instantly remove their auras. They function as cures, fear breaks, etc

Again taunt isn’t an issue.

Paladins have the same passive tanking dynamics as Warriors.

And yes threat is a major issue when fights are harder burning and shorter…ie Prot/Fury Warrior 2 hander tanking on bosses when possible for threat.

The issue with Paladins is after BWL they don’t scale. Most threat sources are relatively static and don’t ramp up.

Moreover starting with AQ 40, with the exception of offslot gear Paladins can’t maintain +def while scaling their effective health values because there isn’t tanking gear for a Paladin.

Lastly by mid AQ40, even with Greater Blessings the other 2 tank classes catch up in threat, and Bears even surpass Paladins using Greater Blessings. Maul has a 262% threat modifier with talents and is the greatest scaling threat generator in game.

With all that being said Paladins tank MC, BWL, AQ20, and early AQ40 just fine.

As long as your willing to put in the work doing some farming, and like the challenge of it… then by all means have at it and enjoy!

3 Likes

Yes. Far worse DPS. You don’t just spam Sunder Armor.

Which then makes your mana issues even worse. Even then, the best mitigation gear in the game doesn’t make up for the fact Protection Paladin mitigation is inherently worse due to their toolkit.

What about your lack of taunt? Granted, that doesn’t matter on Onyxia, but Onyxia isn’t the only boss in the game.

he never actually runs out of mana, he still has mana pots off cd to use. This becomes even less of an issue with better gear, along with everything else. Imunities are actually better than shield wall in many ways, and clear most debuffs, reducing the need for taunt swaps, and when needed can be easily accomplished with a warrior off tank worth his weight in plate.
The only reason he lost aggro was because he had too much aggro and was targetted by multiple fireballs. With better understanding of the fight and fully functional threat meters this becomes a non issue.

4 Likes

Omg true af. You gotta basically auto attack long fights lmao

1. Seal/Judgement of Wisdom says hello
  1. 95% of the raid bosses are immune to taunt anyway lol
2 Likes

Okay? They still have mana issues even with that, especially when you’re spamming buffs the entire fight.

Not even close.

not with Seal/Judgement of Wisdom

2 Likes

Yes, even with that.

nope

3 Likes

it actually doesn’t make mana issues worse, this is a common misconception from people that understandably don’t know much about prot paladins, which is unsurprising due to them being a dark horse and not many people having the balls to play them.

Regarding taunt:
By riding threat like tanks did in bc where even more bosses were immune to taunt than vanilla. This becomes trivial once threat meters are fully functional

3 Likes

Yep. You can do the math if you want, but if you’re spamming GBoK to generate threat, Wisdom won’t generate enough mana to be sustainable for very long.

It does, actually. Aside from a very specific pieces, the gear doesn’t really allow you to gear for mana sustainability and mitigation.

It’s not about having the balls to play them; it’s about them being bad. Few people want to play a bad spec, especially if it has to use silly gimmicks like this to even hold aggro.

Well, good luck with that, I s’pose.

dude, you didn’t even know that Symbols of Kings were in stacks of 20…

lolz

5 Likes

And you think 95% of bosses are immune to taunt. I corrected my mistake and my point is still valid.

So…?

Yes

On many occasions, as a Prot Paladin, I was used as lead off tank.

I would hammer as much threat as I could for nearly a minute.

Warrior would taunt off me and then dump a full rage bar.

It’s called aggro leapfrogging, and its quite effective when you want a warrior MT’ing a given fight, but you want the extra threat.

I would Judge and maintain Wisdom for the raid after the Warrior taunted.

Use Nightfall with rank 1 SoC and judged SoC.

Patch heal with Holy Light with my excess mana when needed.

2 Likes