Right Click Report is a Bad Idea

The squelch is part of the right-click report system and has been in place for far longer than the Silence Penalty system. The squelch is automatic, the silence is applied by a GM.

Its actually an interesting phenomenon happening in video games. Auto reports preventing you from using a paid service happens no where else. Even traffic tickets from cameras can not be held against your driving record.

What I find interesting is that the video game producers do not feel obligated to provide you with a real investigation to see if it is warranted to ban you from a service you paid for. Generally, a producer should feel obligated to its consumer, but video game producers do not. It costs them money to actually investigate, and they are ok with you getting screwed if it saves them a dime.

I think the phenomena stems from video games being originally targeted to children, and most 30yr olds+ that are playing started as a child. It is almost like an adult to child relationship still where the video game producers feel ok to put you in a time out like you were children and they do not have to really thoroughly investigate if it is fair to you.

I truly mean this when I say it, video game culture is part of the problem of “man childing” our generation.

If you really look at how producers act and conduct themselves towards its consumers, its hard not to come to the conclusion they view all of you as children and they have the authority to do whatever they want to do because “they said so”.

2 Likes

If this is true, then why doesn’t this consistently happen to streamers?

3 Likes

Please back up your claim with a source.

I just wanted to get in on the first page of what is soon to be a 5000 post argument.

For the record, it is FACT that your account gets immediately squelched pending investigation by a GM. The GM then decides to lift the squelch or implement a longer silence penalty. That is how it works. If you claim otherwise you are flat out lying.

2 Likes

How many you want?

1 Like

Probably because Blizzard punishes people who abuse the report system.

Interesting. So now the question is how would this actually be abused. Disconnects don’t happen. I believe that was found to be a bug.

Then this shouldn’t be a problem that effects regular players either?

And if that’s the case then what’s the issue with the system?

I have no idea if disconnects still happen. There’s very few recorded examples of people getting right-click report bombed.

From what I can gather, people think that the system is too morally gray; they think Blizzard won’t be able to properly ascertain if a mass of reports were made to harass an individual to gain a competitive advantage.

The other reason is they believe that no punishment should be in the hands of players, despite Blizzard having given us the ability to report-spam and squelch people since May of 2007 when this system was introduced.

Guess they’re assuming Blizzard employees are just as incompetent as they are :man_shrugging:

However this whole thing works at the end of the day if it works it works. I’ve never had an issue and I don’t know anyone else who has had an issue. If this has been around for over a decade I don’t think it’s suddenly going to destroy the game for everyone.

Fear mongers gonna fear monger.

1 Like

They have a million and one different “reasons” as to why it will definitely be massively abused and why it’s not on BfA.

It really is just fear-mongering. Mostly done by streamers like Tipsout, probably for views.

1 Like

I have yet to see this system ever being a problem.

The fear of a potential abuse by bad actors seems equally likely that Blizzard can audit these reports (see who is reporting players) and punish people who are intentionally abusing the system to get players muted.

1 Like

Correction: the side that is correct will provide evidence of this happening time and time again, and the Blizzard apologists will call them fake and link to various Blizzard web pages explaining how the system supposedly works.

The side that is correct will explain that the GMs do indeed manually review reports… AFTER the punishments are automatically dealt and the damage has already been done.

Blizzard apologists will say that bans are not automated, which is correct, but the disconnects and squelches are, which have a pretty significant impact on your gameplay in Classic.

Blizzard apologists will say that it’s not a big deal because people who abuse the system get punished, but always seem to ignore the fact the innocent were already punished unfairly and that easily could’ve been avoided in the first place.

Blizzard apologists will say it’s unlikely to be abused because it takes a lot of people reporting one person for it to happen, which totally ignores the fact that it can happen, and that’s a problem.

Blizzard apologists will ask why this doesn’t happen more often, and the side that is correct will explain there’s less incentive to do so in retail, yet it still does happen.

Every one of these things can be seen in this thread.

This is exactly my stance as well. It’s incorrect to claim RCR is a problem; it isn’t. The automated punishments attached to the system are.

1 Like

Can someone explain please, how does the system work? Is it required of someone to say something in chat to be reported, or it’s possible just target them and choose report (or something of the kind) from the dropdown menu?

It does happen. Often actually.

In HOTS when I played it, I was silenced because a guy cussed at me when I complained about him going afk in a ranked match for 5 mins of a 10m game. He said a choice word to me, and I said a choice word back, and he reported me.

Other times I had actions taken against me because I said “wtf” when a guy went solo 1v5 into an objective and died.

HOTS had routine abuse of the system in ranked play because it became an outlet for people to be toxic to each other. If your team lost, they would routinely find someone to target and all tell each other to report the one guy they blamed so they would feel vindicated from the loss.

So, although it hasnt happened to you yet, it does happen often.

It is terrible customer service to put in an automated system that prevents you from accessing something you paid for. Every report should be reviewed by an actual person if they want to take action on an account.

But they arent. When an action happens its auto, and when a review happens its been shown the reviewer is instructed to find anything to uphold it instead of actually considering reversing.

3 Likes

Can you report the opposite faction? If so why?

Whew, that’s a lot of nothing you wrote there. I’m a lot mouthier in-game than I am on the forums and I’ve never been hit with a squelch or silence. You can claim, without evidence that it’ll be abused because of “incentives” to do so on Classic all you want, it’s still an unsubstantiated claim.

We’ll find out in a couple months just how many people are willing to throw away their accounts to inconvenience someone.

1 Like