Revitalizing Guilds in World of Warcraft

guilds are fine

Wpvp and pvp servers was a blessing for my old guild before we all quit. WE pwned horde and helped out the low level noobs questing that was being attacked it was sort of our law or call to arms agreement. Met some great friendship that carried over to even irl.

Wpvp pvp guilds for life :heart:

2 of my best mates met in cataclysm back in 2010 and we still game often and play other games together to this day.

WE MISS WPVP BLIZZ GIVE US REASON TO STAY!

1 Like

Guilds are outdated.

The game has made too many QoL / Matchmaking / Group Finding improvements over the years for them to matter for anything but Mythic Raiding, and they only really matter for Mythic Raiding because Blizzard refuses to let go and use the same lockout system literally everything else uses for it.

What’s left is them being a social construct and not much else.

You know what covers the need for that kind of social hub?

Discord Servers. Guild or not.

Guilds were more necessary in older versions of the game, but that’s not what we’re playing now.

I don’t believe Guilds need to be revitalized, because Guilds themselves barely even need to exist in the modern game. Guilds were never content. They were people. They don’t need to be forced into being content.

This is one viewpoint, but there are others here who want more activities for guilds. If you see guilds as just an outdated social hub, that’s fine; your guild can be just that. However, not everyone wants that. Some players enjoyed active guilds that worked together on achievements, not just for the social aspect, but for the fun of collective goals. There’s solo content for those who prefer it, and hardcore content for the hardcore players. Adding more content for active social guilds wouldn’t hurt anyone. Everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy the game in their own way.

I remember this so well, especially the Southshore vs. Tarren Mill battles when I first started playing. I had so much fun with WPvP, and I’d love to see some new features like control points or even a Guild Hall that can be captured in the open world. Once captured, the winning team could unlock a dungeon with a world boss, similar to Wintergrasp. Adding open-world Guild Halls, where players have to build and defend them, would be a fantastic way to reignite that sense of camaraderie and competition. World PvP guild halls like those in Albion Online could really bring back that excitement.

< Not a very social person, but i disagree.
Guilds are the real social u do, most other socials are the kind u don’t care at all, like when u meet people to do pugs, u care about the results, not about the person, when in guilds people(usually) care about each other, although this changed quite a bit over the years.

1 Like

This is true. Back in Cata, my guild wasn’t just a group for running dungeons; we were friends and family. Some of us even went to BlizzCon together, and if someone disappeared for a while, we’d check in on them because we genuinely cared. We worked together, did activities, and progressed as a team. Those were the days, and I’d love to see that sense of community return.

The problem with guild-specific content is that only a few core members can participate in it and make decisions.

1 Like

Only if the activities have a leader and/or are opened by a leader, if they are free for all to contribute as much/when they can, then it doesn’t get limited to a group, i left my last core due to that kind of behavior.

Activities that are controlled by a leader that are not shared equally will in theory force people to group together and disband the ‘small group’ behavior, why would u ask?!
Well, if the activity is limited to a few and several are ignored, these people usually leave to other guilds where this bad behavior doesn’t exist, in this group/guild they will make friends and eventually the other guild will break, which ends up breaking the bad behavior.

It really depends on:
The activities must require a considerable amount of people, let’s say 20+
Some activities could be controlled/opened by a leader
As long as
Some other activities are not and require more people

Guild activities in my point of view are good, i do remember going to Tol Barad with my guild in Cata, also have very good memories of Guild wars in Ragnarok, one of the things i liked the most about Ragnarok in fact.

1 Like

Mind you, if you’re offering guild halls — Having player housing is probably a good incentive to prevent people from simply making their own solo-guild just so they can have their own ‘player-house’ of sorts. :person_shrugging:

The logic is pretty sound.

• If they WERE to do player-housing, personally I’d rather them do it lore-wise via a new Dalaran, that has pocket dimensions — for their many citizens and innumerous heroes from far & wide to have as their personal homes or safe-havens.

As for Guild-Halls:

I wouldn’t mind the same principle as abovn but I’m sure they could be a bit more clever with it — I’d love for their to be cosmetic decorations earned from the guild-achievements too however; it would provide a good motive for banding together to do content with your guild-mates and seeing the feats reflected in the hall. :grin:

1 Like

Ohmygoodness, I would love to have these kind of exciting things to offer members! I get a lot of returning from a break members who would either like to take up a new class or shake the dust off an older alt, and a private practice area would be such a good thing to offer. Many of our members are multi-class persons and would be great teachers. It is a downer to tell folks that there are practice dummies for a reason, it would be so great to have a private place where they could build their muscle memory up.

Also, FWIW, I would like it if both factions could find my guild in the guild-finder. As it stands now, only alliance players can find the guild in the guild-finder, it does not show up for horde players even though we have accepted horde as soon as we were allowed to. I have made several max-level well-geared horde alts, both healers and a tank, as have several other guildies, just to have them available for a horde member who would like one. The guild-finder really is just crud, though.

1 Like

The pocket dimension idea for player housing is actually really cool, especially for those who prefer a unique space. I hope we get more options than just one, though. Personally, I’d love something in Deepholm or Alternate Draenor’s Shadowmoon—two zones I really enjoy. I’d even convert my garrison into my personal player housing if possible. I’m sure some players would love a spot by the water. But yeah, the Dalaran pocket dimension idea is definitely awesome! :smile:

I’m not sure what you’re referring to unless you’ve been in a guild with a “clique” mentality or a guildmaster who only included a few people and didn’t put in the effort to involve others. I’ve been a Guildmaster and have been in three other guilds, and that was never an issue. Our guildmasters would set up plenty of raids and PvP events to ensure everyone who wanted to participate had the opportunity. I’m an old-school Wrath baby, so maybe things have changed, but that’s not how a guild is supposed to operate.

More guild perks.

Give us pools.

Hasty Hearth is the only guild perk needed.

Here’s a list of the original guild perks from Cataclysm, along with some suggestions for modern perks that could really benefit guilds today:

Cataclysm Era Guild Perks:

1. Fast Track: Increases experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests by 5% (rank 1) and 10% (rank 2).
  2. Mount Up: Increases mounted movement speed by 10%.
  3. Mr. Popularity: Increases reputation gained by 5% (rank 1) and 10% (rank 2).
  4. Cash Flow: Each time you loot money from an enemy, an extra 5% (rank 1) or 10% (rank 2) is generated and deposited directly into your guild bank.
  5. Reinforce: Reduces the damage you take when you fall by 5% (rank 1) and 10% (rank 2).
  6. Hasty Hearth: Reduces the cooldown on your Hearthstone by 15 minutes.
  7. The Quick and the Dead: Increases the health and mana you regain while dead by 50% and allows you to resurrect 50% faster.
  8. Honorable Mention: Increases Honor points gained by 5%.
  9. Working Overtime: Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
  10. The Doctor Is In: Increases healing received from bandages by 10%.
  11. Chug-A-Lug: Increases the duration of guild cauldrons and feasts by 50%.
  12. Bountiful Bags: Increases the quantity of materials gained from Mining, Skinning, Herbalism, and Disenchanting.
  13. Bartering: Reduces the cost of vendor items by 5%.
  14. Happy Hour: Increases the number of flasks gained from using a flask cauldron by 100%.
  15. Have Group, Will Travel: Summons all raid or party members to the caster’s location.
  16. Mass Resurrection: Resurrects all dead party members with 35% of maximum health and mana.

I personally miss these perks, especially ones like Chug-A-Lug and Happy Hour. These made encounters smoother and were great for guilds that enjoyed taking their time in dungeons and raids. Not everyone has that “go go go” mentality, and it was nice to have something that catered to a more relaxed approach.

Modern Guild Perk Ideas:

1. Mount Up (Revamped): Similar to the original perk but now allows guild members to summon a group mount that can carry multiple players, making it easier for organized events and raids.
  2. Guild Mobilization: This perk allows players to summon a portable guild bank and a mailbox anywhere in the world, with a moderate cooldown. This would be especially useful during raids, dungeon runs, or large-scale PvP events, making resource management more convenient.
  3. Fast Track (Revamped): Increases experience gained by all characters in the guild by a percentage, encouraging guilds to foster an environment where players can easily level up new characters.
  4. Cash Flow (Revamped): Increases the amount of Guild-Specific Currency players gather.
  5. Guild Rallying Cry: A new perk that allows the guild leader or officers to issue a rallying cry, providing a temporary buff to all guild members within a certain area, useful for PvP or PvE activities.
  6. Bartering (Revamped): Reduces the cost of repairs and flight paths for guild members, helping to alleviate some of the in-game expenses that accumulate over time.
  7. Bountiful Bags (Revamped): Enhances the amount of materials gained from various gathering professions and gold dropped from mobs.
  8. Guild-Specific Achievements and Rewards: New achievements that are unlockable through guild activities, offering exclusive rewards like mounts, pets, or transmog items. This could include completing a certain number of guild runs or participating in guild events.
  9. Guild Wars: A feature that allows guilds to challenge each other in structured PvP events, with rewards for the winning guild. This would add a competitive element to guild interactions.
  10. Increased Reputation Gains (Revamped Mr. Popularity): Boosts reputation gains for all factions while in a guild group, making it easier to unlock faction-specific rewards.
  11. Guild Crafting Stations: Special crafting stations available only to guild members, offering unique recipes or bonuses to crafting output, encouraging more guild-focused crafting and trade.

Just some basic ideas for guild perks sure these could be polished but these perks could breathe new life into the guild system, making it more engaging and rewarding for players who enjoy being part of an active social guild.

1 Like

Turn warmode on.

I appreciate and share your stance, but it wasn’t the game that made players more solo. It was players that made the game more solo.

You can’t change guilds and expect players to be more MMO. That ship sailed long long ago. You’d have to change the players in order to get any benefit out of what you propose, and frankly I just don’t think that is possible.

MMO’s used to be about sharing a world with people from different cultures and backgrounds, but more and more it is just a way for people to attain status, and show off. It’s the prevailing attitude, and I don’t see that changing in our lifetime.

I think he means the natural buildup of events that used to happen in open-world PvP, like the Southshore vs. Tarren Mill battles or when guilds would be on the lookout for rival guilds. Back then, it was possible to have a friendly rivalry where you killed each other on sight, and it was fun! This was before people started taking everything too seriously and personally. Unfortunately, many players now dislike getting ganked—understandable since ganking is meaningless and honorless PvP—but this takes away the natural rivalry that could have happened over resources or other conflicts. Most players just opt out of it now because why bother when you can stay safe and not worry about it, even though it could have sparked a friendly rivalry or even a friendship.

1 Like

PvP players being unable to refrain from ganking lowbies didn’t lead to fun rivalries. It led to the removal of PvP servers. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I agree with you—PvP players being unable to refrain from ganking lowbies didn’t lead to fun rivalries. The conflict I was talking about was between players of the same or similar level in open-world PvP. A lot of PvPers don’t like ganking lower-level players because it kills WPvP.

1 Like

So, turn warmode on and go nuts.