Revisiting the Night Warrior Questline [Shadowlands spoilers]

So. With the quest “A new hope” being finally available on the game, I went to check by myself, only to discover that I couldn’t do on this character because I never did the Night Warrior questline on this character, so I decided to do it and see If I noticed some new stuff, and I sure did. Beware, I’m going to talk about some datamined Shadowlands stuff as well as 9.0 content. This is not some big lore reveal or theory, just noticing some interesting or fun stuff, and some lore conclusions about events.

1- Tyrande never struggled, this is something people have been complaining, that Tyrande didn’t show to be powerful enough in the scenario because Nathanos gets away, but Tyrande herself is never at danger, is never harmed or restrained, she does back away when the player character gets locked up in those chains that the Val’kyr cast on you, but it seems more tactical, to give space for Malfurion to appear.

2- Those Val’kyr were powered up by the jailer as well, that one is pretty much everything but confirmed, since we know they’ve been sent to aid Sylvanas by the Jailer, but also, they have the same “chain” spell that Sylvanas uses against Bolvar and also the Creatures that get a hold of Anduin in the new pre-rendered cinematic for the prepatch.

3- Special effects, of course this is a very minor thing, but I noticed both Nathanos and the Val’kyr having attacks that use that new green and black special effect that has been used to show Death magic or necrotic magic, not sure if It is something new, or I just noticed, but is the same green and black stuff you see in shadowlands and on the new starting zone Exile’s reach.

4- Wardens, i like Wardens a lot, and I’ve wished for a Warden class for a long time, but I just noticed how the Wardens uses different weapon types and are not locked to the famous warden glaives, You see quite a few wardens in this scenario besides Maiev and Syra. Drelanim Whisperwind is there, players might know her from the Vault of the Warden dungeon in Legion, wonder if she is related to Tyrande, but there isn’t any special dialogue with her, and when you click on her, she says her legion lines. She uses two fists weapons. Mirana Starlight also uses two other fist weapons, Malace Shade uses a spear, Shalis Darkhunter uses a bow and Marin Bladewing is the only one using the regular Warden Glaives we see. Also, here is 5 named wardens, so at least we have 5 more expansions of Wardens going crazy (please Blizz don’t do that to Drelanim or Maiev, they cool).

5- The buff on Nathanos was shown before by other people here on the forums, but I like to reiterate on that, as soon as one of the Valkyr dies, Nathanos runs away, so I’m thinking he knew he didn’t had a chance without the Val’kyr backing him up.

Well, this is it, just a fun little topic about some interesting stuff in the scenario. I have recorded everything and also took some screenshots, once i’m able to post them i should leave them here. If you ever found something interesting in the scenario or have any thought, feel free to share!

8 Likes

You and me both.

Back in WoD, she had this thing that looked like a cross between a spear, and a Demon Hunter’s glaive.

She had them back in Legion, too, iirc. Things that looked a little like daggers, or mini umbra crescents.

I think she had one back in Legion, as well.

Anyway, the variety is nice. I always thought it was a nice touch that the various trainees are in the Legion Dungeon Mail set (as well as usually being set to menial tasks, like repairs).

3 Likes

Sylvanas was powered up by the Jailer after the “machine of death” was broken, and val’kyr [could be] from her because of the pact.

The phrase of the narrator from the Collector’s ed. book is:

He would send those val’kyr to serve as her tethers to mortality.

So, maybe he would, but it does not imply that they were willing participants. Simply influencing them to see Sylvanas as theit only option, when Bolvar just got the Helm of Domination and did not know how to deal with it’s influence, would be enough.

[extra from Edge of Night to explain “does not imply”]

– We served the warriors of the north in life, and chose to continue our service in death. [Annhylde]
– To serve the Lich King. [Sylvanas]
– Did you choose to serve the Lich King? [A.]

gl hf

This has changed several times. In it’s first implementation she did struggle, and get chained up, and Nathanos was literally laughing in her face. They’ve gone through multiple changes to make the scenario looks better. It got a few changes before it went live and it’s gotten a few other small ones since to make it look not as bad as it did.

But players still played the original version, so that’s the portrayal they remember.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, because i also had vivid memories of Tyrande getting chained up and then breaking free using that darkness spell.

I believe there is also a recent change based on the green special effects, i’m sure they’re new.

1 Like

They are. As are the number of buffs.

1 Like

Technically it should be a night elf class only. What does the Horde get to balance that? (Dark Ranger option perhaps?) Hence the major stumbling block.

I think instead that it should be a customization option so that rogues, warriors, and hunters can choose appropriate customizations. perhaps a racial heritage set option.

2 Likes

Based on how varied the moveset of a Warden can be, and that I listed many wardens using different weapon types. A warden heritage armor would be just enough really. I would make a female nelf monk as a warden in a heartbeat.

Also, Warden seems to remain the only branch of Night Elf society that is female only.

1 Like

I figured Dark Wardens, as you said. Though the fact that Sira’s in Alliance custody might put a damper on training new ones, unless the Stockades live up to their reputation.

Another idea I’ve mulled over is giving Blood Elves Spellbreakers, and make the abilities mechanically the same, but visually different. Then you could potentially extend the class to Nightborne and Void Elves, as well.

For a while it wasn’t, since the UVG said Jarod was the leader of the Watchers (so, essentially a Warden, since Warden is the highest rank of Watcher). The updated UVG walked it back, but I could see them using Jarod somehow if they felt it needed to be egalitarian in order to be playable.

1 Like

In the ptr lol, which is just stupid, you cant complain about lore that isnt canon

2 Likes

Some of it made it to live and was changed since then. When it first went live she still got chained and Malfurion ran in to save her. There was only 1 buff when live launched, now there are more that try to explain more. And Nathanos continued to mock her when it first released. And then the magic effects.

Which is exactly what I said before. The scenario was updated from it’s original form on the PTR but it has also been updated since hitting live, adding and removing certain aspects to make it better-ish.

2 Likes

no that didnt happen at all lol the live verison was never changed

you are either straight up lying, or are confusing the multiple changes on the PTR for live

1 Like

This is neat and all, but feels like retroactive justification. Needling away at small details to justify how it wasn’t a disappointment doesn’t make it less disappointing to the people who ran through it and went,
“What the hell is this?”

Different from the scenario when I did it-- She was restrained at one point when Nathanos does his “ENOUGH” and flees, I believe. Not to mention that they’re enough to hold her, Malfurion, and the player back from even interrupting the raising of Sira and Delaryn, even when it’s slowed by only 1 val’kyr taking part in it.

The power of the Night Warrior has felled an Old God before, apparently. The inclusion of that detail in Ardenweald makes Tyrande’s ability to take down a necro-juiced vrykul ghost with wings and inability to subsequently stop a necro-juiced zombie ranger makes her feel painfully weak in comparison.

Edit:

Ah. That explains it.

6 Likes

It should have been NE Wardens and BE DH. That’s what should have happened but the Illidan novel changed that.

Maybe they could introduce subclasses or jobs, kind of like FF. But it will never happen. Oh well we can dream right.

Plus, in the lead up to confronting Nathanos, Tyrande takes out an entire Horde base with simultaneous Moonfire spam. If Nathanos is so vulnerable after the Valkyr dies that he has to flee, why doesn’t she throw one of those at him?

6 Likes

You’d never. get me to accept the idea that Night Elves should have been excluded from Demon Hunters given who invented the class and that there were Night Elf Demon Hunters in Outland.

And I’m not even one of the Night Elf extremists on this forum.

6 Likes

Illidan was an outcast and a pariah in the Night Elf society. So without the new lore of the novel I find it hard to see why anyone would follow him. I also don’t remember seeing a single Night Elf Illidari in BC. But as I said, the Illidan novel changed that.

There is a Nelf Demon Hunter in Felwood.

1 Like

Which is odd seeing that up until 2016 when Chronicle, the novel, and Legion were released there was no lore saying that some of the Kaldorei joined Illidan. All we had was BC and all we saw there were Sindorei. That demon hunter, Feronas Sindweller, was added in Cata.

The live version wasn’t changed. It’s just another case of using unused data mined, or PTR content to justify outrage in the forums.