Reverse the Battlepet catch process

For TLDR: Did they lower the amount of pets in the overworld in Midnight zones in exchange for making pets immediately cageable? I am searching endlessly for the pets in the zones, but its all attackable, no caging! This is NOT worth the trade off if I have to waste my life endlessly searching just to catch one measly pet. With the old system, where you can battle the pet, green paw mark gallore. But in Midnight I cannot find ANYTHING, sword symbol after sword symbol. How is this a good change if it’s HARDER to find catchable pets? I much rather prefer to process of battling them if it means the catchable variants are way more abundant. Was only “ALLOWED” to catch Pangoli so far, as for the other pets, yes, I see them, but it would not let me catch.

Like am I just doing something wrong?

Long-Winded Intro: So, I started all over in WoW with a new account once I learned about all the changes the game has gone through since I quit. And I was a hardcore Battlepet player who was Top 30 in my Realm at the time.

However, after making this account, I heard about the battlepet changes and it was devastating. Since Battlepets was like my main content. But getting into the meat and potatoes of why I’m making this post.

Edit: Like it might be time to accept this isn’t the game for me anymore.

8 Likes

Yes, some of us do feel this way. I haven’t played Retail at all since late TWW, and the destruction of pet battling removed the thing that might have lured me to Midnight.

You will find lots more commentary in the most upvoted thread of all time:

6 Likes

It may not be a total loss. Only the midnight zones have battle pets and pet battling removed. Depending on how long you have been gone, PvE pet battle content remains in all previous expansion’s zones.

I am lucky, I left before the addition of the system, so I have all the previous content I can go through since returning.

I cannot speak to PvP engagement.

3 Likes

But that’s not really to the developers’ credit. They simply couldn’t be bothered (or spare the dev effort) to completely dismantle world pet battles (or all pet battles). They did what they could do by virtue of not doing anything: no meaningful new content. Midnight world content was (in my speculation) simply neutering pet content they had already started when they changed direction, so they did a hurry-up hack job to be able to deploy what they had (since cleanly removing it might have been more expensive).

9 Likes

I can completely accept this as a valid observation.

5 Likes

I read a lot of explanations online about the Battlepets changes. And I keep thinking, “how come they didn’t just add future-proof enchantment you can add to a piece of gear, that you can rebuy for battlepet tokens, that allows you to earn battlepet drops. Like for example, the drop rate for battlepet rewards is abysmal for pvp. I remember back when I trying to get the Tamer Tabard, and I barely got anything after 100 pvp battles.

Boon of the Zookeeper

literally already existed, why won’t they just give us that again, but remove the restrictions. People would be more inclined to participate in pet battles if they could also do OTHER content and passively farm battlepet supplies.

I feel like with modern dev teams, they absolutely refuse to add quality of life stuff that could save a game or mechanic. It’s truly sturbborn. It makes me question if the people managing these things actually play their own game or are even aware of things that ALREADY exist, that could have made it easier for player retention. Like even with the housing update, how come pets can’t roam the property, it’s not like they can’t add a limit to it? I wanted chickens roaming my property. You will see exactly that in Elwynn, how come we cannot do it also?

How come they haven’t added a Battle-Stone that upgrades to Legendary Quality for people who have completed hard Battlepet content, like the Celestial Tournament, PvP Achievements, the Dungeons. I’m sure pet battles will become easier. They could even balance it to where you could only have one legendary on a team at a time, or only ONE of all your pets can be Legendary. So a one time achievement. Especially since in the overworld a lot of Master Trainers literally have like one legendary. At least I think so? It’s so odd to me.

Battling is literally MY THING, I grew up playing Pokémon and was immediately drawn to Battlepets! My Garrison would be literally full of them, and I loved being able to farm stuff with the Worgen lady outside my door. How come they wont add her to the housing areas huh? Like it was never about collecting for me, even with Pokemon, I dont care for the collecting aspect, it was the battling that I loved. But without future content for pet battling, what’s the point? It was truly one of those ways to play the game where I could have fun and avoid the toxic cesspools of raiding, pvp, etc, and do my own thing while still being part of the world. I mean the battlepet storylines were awesome and it still made me feel like I had a role to play and impact. But seeing that be traded off just so it can become a collector fest, it kinda stings considering collector greed is why trading card games in the real world, has become less fun for me. I wanna battle, I wanna be the very best, that no one ever was, not shove a bunch of cats in my house and call it a day. (Didn’t even bother adding the Battlepet trophies from Garrison to the housing system)

7 Likes

Changing the Midnight world pets was an exercise to save dev time, i.e. to cut costs. We are some of WoW’s most loyal players, and yet we have been screwed in this expansion.

9 Likes

Hopefully they can reverse their decision for the next expansion and give some meaningful pet battle content again

7 Likes