Revenue Loss from Classic WoW

Classic is not being done for profit. It is about IP protection. The fact that they might attract people that have left the game into resubscribing is just gravy.

The main audience for Classic wasn’t buying tokens and crap before.

3 Likes

Very true!

People have this weird fixation on a historical Blizzard that never existed, like the company was founded under a haze of herb and tie-dyes at Wookstock.

5 Likes

Classic has no “front” cost and only requires a sub. Same for any “pre-BFA” content on retail.

1 Like

Hmmm good to know. Strange though, most companies try to recover development costs.

2 Likes

The cost will be made up for the subscriptions gained. Also, they aren’t doing classic for massive amounts of money. There is straight up no money to be made in a niche market. It is for IP protection and positive PR.

Also, the amount of work needed to do Classic is very small in the grand scheme of things. Things like models, boss encounters, quests, so on and so forth are already done. It’s just making sure they can scrounge up all the pieces and put them back together and not have it explode.

2 Likes

They will open up a Public Donation link saying that the money raised will go to maintain and upgrade Classic Servers, possibly even opening up Wrath and BC servers. In reality the money will be immediately deposited straight into Bobby Kotick’s Bank Account.

1 Like

A lot of those are debatably worse now than they were in Classic.

You can really argue CRZ is actually a GOOD thing? That’s the biggest part of what killed a feeling of community in this game. Being a total douchebag actually had consequences when you couldn’t just magic away to another instance.

2 Likes

Sigh. You don’t even need to go back to old Blizzard. Look at the 2010 to 2016 period of production. Then look at the 2017 going forward.

If you don’t see an issue, I can’t help you.

1 Like

A reagant tab is a bad thing? Nope.

LFD is now in wide use across all MMO’s

You like having less classes and specs? I dont.

You can really argue CRZ is actually a GOOD thing?

Yes, I do. CRZ and crossrealm makes raiding and open world a hell of a lot more fun.

That’s the biggest part of what killed a feeling of community in this game.

To you, not to me

1 Like

Being a total douchebag actually had consequences when you couldn’t just magic away to another instance.

Ahhhh yes the old “we used to name and shame even when it was fourth party hearsay and we blindly took some guys word for it.”…

6 Likes

You obviously didn’t play back then, or you’re being purposely obtuse. Either way, you’ve shown you aren’t worth debating with.

1 Like

You obviously didn’t play back then, or you’re being purposely obtuse. Either way, you’ve shown you aren’t worth debating with.

Tell ya what.

Take that list above and tell me which ones are “worse” since Vanilla.

And no I didnt play in 2004, I had adult things to do which made a computer game kinda down at the bottom of my list. Responsibilities, work, home, paying bills, roof over head, food on table…

I totally agree… Perhaps the only hit might be to the store but I’m not even sure if that will be a big impact.

People coming back to the game after some time have a decision to make - do I pay monthly sub fee to play classic (a gain for Blizz) or do I lvl up my existing toons (if there are any) by playing regular wow to gain the gold to buy a token (a gain for Blizz.) Pure genius!

vanilla had community which beats out everything on your list

3 Likes

vanilla had community which beats out everything on your list

Did it?

I have friends and guildies who played back then…and they paint a very very different picture.

1 Like

Your friends were nonfactors then

Your friends were nonfactors then

Whats a “nonfactor” (is that even a word?)

Someone who did not raid, pvp, or participate in the server community.

Someone who did not raid, pvp, or participate in the server community.

Mate:

You just dismissed outright people you dont know, have never met, will never meet, did not know back then and have ZERO knowledge of what they did or did not do in Vanilla.

Matter of fact my very first guild was FOUNDED in Vanilla and the guy who recruited me played from day one.

1 Like