Revantusk and Thorium Point

Hearing reports that Revantusk Village and Thorium Point quests will not be available in Phase 1 of Classic.

1. Thorium point

Thorium pointis a neutral quest hub, so the issue is slightly less awful here, but the reason it was originally added into WoW is still worth discussing: There aren’t enough quests to get a player from level 45 to 50 without grinding. This is a failure in the leveling system design that was addressed in patch 1.5.

TP was added to make the leveling experience more complete. You can debate whether this constitutes CONTENT (quests) or SYSTEMS (leveling), but the reason it was added is to solve an inherent problem with the latter. We didn’t need more quests in the game for the sake of having more content and quests - we needed more quests because the original leveling flow was broken, bugged, and poorly designed. The leveling experience is incomplete without it.

2. Revantusk

Revantusk, more importantly, is a Horde-only quest hub. While also falling into the former category - added because the leveling system was incomplete in the 45-50 range, it was added to at least partially address asymmetry in the leveling experience between factions.

Case in point, even with Revantusk in the game, the Alliance have more quests than the Horde available to them in Classic. With Revantusk omitted, this exacerbates the issue, and makes leveling Horde significantly harder than Alliance. This is a massive snub to half the population.

I hope the design team rethinks omitting these quest hubs before Classic launches – and without 30-60 testing in the scheduled stress tests I worry you won’t get the feedback you need in time. The leveling SYSTEM is incomplete without them, and especially where Revantusk is concerned, there exists an asymmetry between the factions in this regard.

16 Likes

Seconded. I will be playing Alliance, but I really would pity the horde if there is no revantusk. Their leveling process is already lacking terribly in quests. Also agree that TP should be added for reasons stated above.

They were still considering them last week. No guarantees that a decision has been made.

1 Like

It could go either way, if I remember right didn’t the Thorium Point quests give access to new crafting recipes? Maybe they’re worried about those being too good in an early phase. But it could also make sense to have the quests there with limited rewards since it is based on patch 1.12 when they were already there.

Yes and no.

Thorium point gave easier access to repeatable reputation turn in quests for the Thorium Brotherhood to get you up to friendly. The crafting recipes started at friendly and went up to exalted.

1. You needed Molten Core drops to get past friendly either way, and
  2. You can still get to friendly in phase 1 with those same Molten Core drops.

So while TB does give some earlier access to friendly (and arguably can affect the economy for thick leather and kingsblood to some extent) - it doesn’t open any gates for guilds. You can still acquire all the recipes as they are added to the game.

Which brings up the other point-- the recipes themselves will probably still be gated. E.g. Recipe for Nightfall probably not added to the vendor until phase 3 as it was added in patch 1.6 (and will probably start out with 1.12 stats).

1 Like

I see, thank you for the clarification. :slight_smile: I started on 05 on my original account but only got to level 52 in vanilla so lots of things I don’t know details of.

1 Like

Gating a questing zone makes close to zero sense… (especially one only for horde) when we horde already have to grind a lot more than the alliance. I hope you guys keep these quests in the game, as they were introduced in 1.7 and make the leveling process close to equal for the factions.

3 Likes

Agreed. This should be addressed and imbalance avoided.

1 Like

How are you guys deciding what to gate here? how are you releasing most things at patch 1.12. but are gating silly things that really don’t matter like totems / librams or even quest hubs. Please put these 2 quest hubs in the game so us horde dont have to mindlessly grind for 6+ hours…

1 Like

I think these should be in at launch. I would only gate things that require content not there yet.

Don’t put AV quest NPCs in the game before AV is there, for example.

1 Like

This would add good items to the game that are only available from later patches. Such as the Deep Woodlands Cloak and Rune of the Guard Captain. It should not be in.

1 Like

Well those should definitely be in game when launch, thorium point and raventusk quests make it more enjoyable probably.

Theres other 45-50 zones.
-feralas
-Blasted lands
-Azshara.
-tanaris
I don’t think I really delved too deeply into them during vanilla, basically skirting alot of the quests there with the exception being tanaris. I know azshara has bugger all quests for alliance and is alot more a horde only zone.

My stance on it will be simple. Have the quests in.
-People need somewhere to start the TB rep.
-Horde need a solid reason to go to the hinterlands aside from the ZF mallet and ST quest.

1 Like

I think they shouldn’t be in the game so horde take a full day of played time longer to level and alliance get the advantage. FOR THE ALLIANCE!!!

1 Like

The biggest con for Thorium Point is the flight path.

Prior to that, people would have to ride through Loch Modan with a key, to get to the Searing Gorge. Yes, you could go around through the Badlands or via the Burning Steppes, but the ride down from Loch Modan is part of what made IF the Alliance capital in those days.

IMO Revantusk isn’t the same level of play and should be included.

2 Likes

I think they should both be in the game.
Seems silly to me that they wouldn’t be…

there are. You leveled incorrectly during the early phase of the game and ended up lower level than intended for the content and had to spend quests you NEEDED to get to 50 to fix it and had to grind the levels you were missing from screwing up.

The 35-45 gap only exists if you do not do every zone by level as you level.

You have so many quests you literally can’t do them all before they go grey, as long as you’re going and doing them, and NOT trying to refuse to travel.

ALSO the alliance has more quests because the NE’s don’t join up with the alliance leveling path until 20+, they were isolated and their 1-20 experience is more self-sufficient where as the human/dwarfs are intended to intertwine basically every 5 levels.

The Horde on the other hand joins up by level 10. As all the kalimdor races join together in the Barrens at 10+, and the undead are sent to the barrens very early Silverpine due to a sudden jump in quest level shortly after you arrive at the sepulcure.

3 Likes

You could of course add Thorium Point but leave out the flight point.

What about the quests added to Dustwallow, it was in Patch 2.3.0 of Burning Crusade, HOWEVER, its very core to the Classic experience on a personal level. Waiting to add it in for Legacy TBC seems pretty worthless at that point!

Also, the horde had to wait until WOTLK for the Wintersaber quest equivalent Venomhide Ravasaur!

Vanilla content in later expansions… Why, oh why Blizzard!

Then you have the rep gain issues.