Retail WoW should not have a leveling system

with the state of WoW in retail and the many option of playing servers in classic now, I just don’t see the need to have a leveling system in retail anymore. I would like to see an optional tutorial questline for every class/spec that you can play out to get in tune with ur class or for new players with an option to skip it for veteran players. new expansions would have the same amount of content that would be there for a lvling experience but instead of xp would give different rewards like better rep rewards, content walls, gold, achievs, mounts, etc. just a thought but I feel like with the state of retail, the leveling experience just doesn’t really fit anymore

4 Likes

I dunno. Its a tight rope walk.

A lot of current retail players enjoy the leveling, and they are speeding it up again.

I personally greatly dislike the push to incentivize more people playing alts, but I accept it as inevitable. I think that allows a degree of intentionally having specs/classes be bad. Because there is an expectation a person will just change mains. Because its being more hardwired into us. And if you dont, you are at a huge disadvantage.

I do think leveling needs a complete overhaul, I just honestly dont know what that should be.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking this for a bit now, leveling is so disconnected from what retail content is

3 Likes

I enjoy it though!

I like the new options they’re giving, mop remix sounds fun.

3 Likes

It’s not gonna take long. I think it’s fine staying how it is.

That state being very good with lots of content that caters to a wide range of tastes?

2 Likes

Nah I still like leveling. RPGs have that as a central point in them. WoW has gotten too far into the race to the end to just do instances and have a queue simulator for a game type of feel. That should be bucked.

1 Like

I agree Levelling doesn’t really fit into retail anymore. It takes less than a day to level to the new character max every season. What is the point then? I’ll have every class levelled by the start of content. Will I hate myself because its boring as all hell? Yes absolutely. Will I care? no because a week of pain for alts is I guess worth it.

1 Like

Leveling is my favorite part of the game. The game gets boring at max level for me. I really wish there was an OPTION for a much more difficult leveling experience. But even as it is, I enjoy it. I love the skill trees

5 Likes

I like the “ding” noise though…

1 Like

No, to me levelling is a very nostalgic ritual. Of all “archaic” things WoW has, I am not able to let go of it.

4 Likes

I like leveling.
I mostly play this shaman and my Shadow Priest, but i level a bunch of alts.

The leveling experience itself is a big Tutorial for New Players (Besides the Exiles reach which you learn the very basics) or even who wants to roll a new class and needs to learn it.

Also the leveling is a “core” tool for story-telling and narrative, they use the expansion leveling to set-up the player into the narrative and present the plot. Sure, if you already did the main campaign, you should have an option to skip it to auto-complete the campaign and level thru dungeons/WQ.
Its WORLD of Warcraft, not just Warcraft. If you remove leveling, you are transforming the game into a queue-simulator (the game already suffer from AFK-queue-AFK without a real incentive to go out into the world in the end-game), this would just aggravate the situation.

It would just break the game. You want a brand new Warcraft Action game, not a mmo

3 Likes

But WoW has already addressed this before in like every expac. Its the alt system you are forced to play the story once and then you unlock the “threads of fate” system or whatever. So when the new player learns the game for the first time they have to play all the way up, but when you make an alt your given the choice to level or not.

It won’t break the game. It already is a queue simulator for 103/104 weeks of an expansion. There isn’t a difference at that point outside of trying to level alts, but lets keep the first weeks horrible.

Whats the difference in story telling if you tell the story when I’m at “max level” vs not? there really isn’t. trust me. Boosted to 70 on multiple characters and did the zone things while waiting for PVP queues.

your “problems” already are in the game permanently outside of classic Out of all the people on all the forums and discords I don’t know a single one who says “man, I would love to come to raid/M+/PVP/Tmogfarming/etc. But I am too busy just loving this leveling experience”. Every person I know is like I want to play an alt, but unless I boost it I am going to ducking hate life.

lets be honest though it will never happen because Blizzard makes too much from selling boosts for the probable majority that hate levelling. There is a reason the 70 raid ready boost came out.

I agree leveling is a great and fun part of the game, but with classic era, classic wotlk, and season of discovery all offering such amazing leveling experiences I just see that there are options now for that and retail just doesn’t really seem like it needs it, just my opinion is all

1 Like

if they removed xp then maybe they could actually shift into player power coming from self professions being a thing again. Or shift certain item slots to only originate from questlines, but that would anger the people who treat wow like a lobby q game more than leveling ever did, leveling is just an easy way to get new players involved and experience power progression (even if world scaling messes this entirely)

1 Like

That only provides options for that in parts of the game everyone already played. I’m very much against turning this into a lobby style game. There are genres for that. It should never be the MMORPG one.

2 Likes

I like leveling. In fact, I get a real kick out of speed leveling. I would be sad if it went away.

Idk. I like leveling up the first couple times through questing to see the lore/story, etc. After that though it does get dull. Which is why I time walk dungeon level after getting the zone lore cheevos on the first couple of characters. But yeah, leveling hasn’t really been a big part of the game since the early days/classic, vanilla whatever the hipsters want to call it, and maybe into TBC, and wolk to an extent. After that though leveling became an afterthought for the most part.

I’m the type of altoholic who enjoys the leveling. For me, I don’t entirely mind deleting 70s to do it all over again when I feel particularly bored.

Right now I’m rebuilding an army after moving realms, and enjoying myself much more than I enjoy playing a single character.

1 Like

If removing leveling allows us to enjoy all content like ESO Do. It,

If people want to still one shot everything let them idc. But I want to press more than one button going through who knows how many quests.

1 Like