Retail Playerbase is 70% Chinese According to Blizzard Employee

Mhmm

:black_small_square:

That is how all “fake leaks” start.

Ha, 70 percent Chinese? I know that is impossible on my server. No one I meet is “Chinese”, unless you mean Chinese American (which would still be statistically an anomaly.)

4 Likes

I dont know one i am so left out as always. :neutral_face:

1 Like

A streamer like Destiny, as much as I can’t stand the guy, doesn’t have to have “fake leaks”. He won’t gain any followers from a “fake WoW leak” anyway, he doesn’t play WoW for the most part.

2 Likes

You know that most Chinese don’t play on US servers, right? lol

21 Likes

Don’t worry someone always knows someone sisters, dad’s brother’s sons, great great-nephews maid. they can provide you some info because they know a guy

5 Likes

You do realize that a fake leak could be someone saying they are from Blizzard, saying that something is true, then telling it to a streamer? It can still be completely fake. The streamer might not know it is fake, but it still could be.

3 Likes

Especially when a vast majority of employees sign ndas on that kind of stuff. they don’t want to sit there and hurt their ability to earn money.

5 Likes

That 70% of the playerbase is Chinese.

7 Likes

It could explain why Blizzard makes some of the decisions they do. They may be changing the game to tailor more to a Chinese audience instead of a North American/European audience. For example, internet cafe gaming is very popular over in China. They pay for and use small chunks of gametime at a time. Blizzard may have implemented features like LFD/LFR primarily to accommodate this method of paying and playing.

Another example is microtransactions. Real world microtransactions are a lot more lucrative across the Chinese market for video games in general. Blizzard may focus a lot more on developing content for the cash shop mainly because that content sells so well to Chinese players.

These are just theories though, but I definitely don’t think the statistic is unsubstantial.

4 Likes

of course the forums are filled with negativity and gloom. happy players don’t take the time to come here, they play the game. that’s an issue in every sector of the service industry. people are far more likely to vocalize complaints than they are to go out of their way to express it when they’re pleased with things. so the forums are already going to be weighted towards the complainers, the most vocal demographic out of all the playerbase.

4 Likes

If the statistic is accurate, I’d be less concerned about mechanics they might implement for Chinese players, and more concerned over Chinese government censorship, quite honestly.

3 Likes

Considering they introduced the RDF tool in Wrath, I have my doubts.

2 Likes

Interestingly, while he said he couldn’t talk about sub numbers, he did state the game is much healthier than people realize.

That was changed I believe and the latter systems were created I’d wager 'cause of a lot of complaints on grouping so the team at the time probably thought it was the way to go.

I highly highly doubt their chinese player base had any influence, nor trying to accommodate the chinese market.

US Blizzard and CN Blizzard employees don’t communicate with each other.

Unless the employee was someone extremely high in the chain, they know nothing about the Chinese Numbers.

Very high up meaning literally head of Blizzard or directly under them.

WoW China and WoW Korea (and their respective Blizzard companies) operate completely independently.

2 Likes

For sure even if wow only had 1M sub it would still be sucessfull vs other mmos standards. The problem is wow isn’t other mmos and has been pretty much the only mmorpg in the past. And since people play for the community they have been disreguarding other mmos. But what is happening with BFA is that they’re starting to lose that leadership and Classic is a way they probably see as to keep it.

1 Like

You hit that spot on.

1 Like

2008-2010(WotLK) was when the game was booming in China. It’d make the most sense for Blizzard to add a feature to the game to appeal to its new market at that point in time.

I don’t think the general constituency of the game you’re helping develop would be too out of reach for your standard Blizzard dev.

5 Likes

Unless they hacked into Blizzard China’s database or read a private company memo, it would be, in which case admitting this on a public stream would get them fired and likely sued.

Again, unless they were VERY high up in US Blizzard’s power structure, there’s no way for an employee to know China’s numbers.

2 Likes