Retail logging me into Classic

To give more info:

I attempted to launch retail. It opened classic.

I ran the scanner. It still opened classic

I uninstalled classic. It still somehow opened it.

I uninstalled everything. I attempted to install retail. It installed classic.

:sob:

1 Like

If you go into your retail folder, Pointyhatkid, does it list the WoWClassic.exe? If so, can you just drag it over to the Classic folder? Doublecheck that the regular WoW.exe application is in the Retail folder.

2 Likes

I deleted the entire World of Warcraft folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\

I hit install again on retail (Version World of Warcraft - Account Shadowlands). It basically installed classic again. The files seem to be going into the below folder. It didn’t recreate the retail folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_classic_

Just to confirm, there is no WoW.exe file to be found? Just the WoWClassic.exe one?

2 Likes

same issue here,retail logs me into classic

both version of the games are on version 1.134 and there is no wow.exe in retail folder but World of Warcraft Launcher and wowclassic

also everytime I exit classic where retail logs into, the game will do a quick update with no info on size or anything .

1 Like

When was your last update? What version shows on the launcher?

Cause I’m fully updated (as far as I know) and have no problem logging into retail or classic.

It didn’t recreate the retail folder.

I see “World of Warcraft Launcher.exe” in C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\

I see another “World of Warcraft Launcher.exe” in C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_classic_

I don’t see WoW.exe.

1 Like

Alright. Thank you, Pointy. I believe they are discussing this in the Technical Support forum as well (which you have posted in), but I’ve passed on the information.

4 Likes

Yup, that’s what was happening to me. Quick updates with no information. And it did it each and every time after closing down Classic to try something else to see if it’d eventually log me into retail.
Thankfully, mine has fixed itself after it, for some reason, made a second icon for Classic. Literally none of that made sense to me, since I tried to move the new Classic icon, but it opened bnet and started doing a proper update.

1 Like

After doing my update, I had another update for 60 gigs anyone else experience this? My rural internet isn’t going to have it installed for about a week. Anyone got any advice? I scanned and repaired and nothing happen. please help

1 Like

Hiya, Having same issue, Tried to log in through Bnet client, One thing i did notice, Manifest was continously being downloaded/checked. Then was getting a ‘Ready to play’ message then 2 secs would run it again. Once i Clicked play (with retail selected) Would open classic, Once i closed Classic. Bnet was showing download paused. Then after a few would continue to try update then say was ready.
I then went to C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_retail_
Once there would open Wow.exe. This would then open classic again.
Ran Check/repair through Bnet launcher. This ran found no errors.

Left computer for an hour or two. I came back to find out it was re-downloading the whole game. Looks like it was 30 GB in when I stopped it due to my internet now being capped on data for the month. Going to be a long 2 weeks now…

1 Like

I know our techs were looking into this yesterday, but I don’t have any updates.

2 Likes

Found a fix on the forum from a player.

Not sure if you can merge Tech & Cust Support threads, but we should probably at least quote this in this thread. They’ve been collecting logs and troubleshooting here:

3 Likes

This is happening to me also, as soon as I move the Classic launcher out of the retail folder, the launcher will require an update and add the classic launcher back to the folder.

Was looking forward to getting to play this over the long weekend :frowning:

1 Like

Another player – yes, a player, suggested removing the wowclassic.exe from the folder, closing out the battle.net and battle.net updater in your task manager and then reloading the battle.net app. That worked for me and BFA was back.

2 Likes

Does not work for me, once I re-opened my bnet launcher it is now installing a 60gb “update”

I’m having the same issue. Both RETAIL and CLASSIC options log you into classic. I have classic on my C drive and retail on D. In the retail folder they somehow screwed up and put the classic launcher. I deleted it, and now the launcher is trying to reinstall BFA even though it’s 100% installed and if I use the .exe from the folder it works.

Please join the following thread, Darkjak.

3 Likes