Retail is better then Classic. There I said it

The only thing that makes retail bad is the lack of talent choices and PvP.

Lets talk about classic where theres like 1 or 2 meta specs, PvP is dominated by premades and everyone are just logging in for simple tank and spank raids.

I cant believe I listened to people here crapping on retail. I finally gave it a real go and Im having the time of my life. Classic sucks compared to it. The only thing classic is better at is leveling.

39 Likes

If classic sucks it’s only because the playerbase made it suck. I admit it was a pipe dream to think the old MMO experience could be recaptured with modern meta gaming mentality but the sauce is still there.

23 Likes

The players make the game, that is true. If I was to compare 2004-2006 playing Vanilla I wouldnt say retail was better.

5 Likes

I mean, yeah. Aren’t we all just here waiting for shadowlands? Classic raids suck, pvp sucks, everything about it except the leveling / gearing / professions sucks.

3 Likes

This has not been my classic experience at all. Perhaps it is on your server, but it’s not on mine. I will note that after playing AB and AV extensively as alliance throughout classic, the alliance on Heartseeker are probably my least favorite group. Many of them always angry, starting fights, accusing people of things in BG chat, even when we are winning. I’m not saying everyone on that server is like that, but overall my impression of the server from extensive time in alliance cross-realm BGs has been very negative.

I, too, came back for classic after not playing for many years. I was peer pressured not to try out retail, but finally did and I liked it, I found a cool server and a cool guild and it’s fun to mess around in the world, but I still very much prefer classic for a variety of reasons, retail is more just a place for me to mess around in when I’m bored.

Not interested in having so much of my character being tied to external power systems I have to keep up with. Raid difficulty/design is what it is, I enjoy the company of my guild and in-game friends far more than anyone I met or played with in retail in about 8 years.

15 Likes

Classic raiding is still really enjoyable for me. I also enjoy AV a bit still.

The rest of the game isn’t enjoyable and it wasn’t when I started back in 2005. From the moment I started, all I cared about was playing with massive groups in endgame.

1 Like

Uhh meta specs are cross server. There are only a handful of good specs in the game. It is not server dependent. BGs are also pretty much half premades if not more.

1 Like

I hate retail because it doesn’t feel like the WoW I enjoyed playing. I hate retail because it doesn’t feel like an RPG, it feels like a mobile game with all the micro transactions and bright, flashing pay-store links in the UI of the damn game.

Its too busy, it panders to the people willing to drop tons of cash on pretty pixels, and the game feels soulless.

In classic, I know the Horde and Alliance guilds on my server. I know Rockstar are all KoS because they KoS our guild due to a spat we had months ago in front of BWL. We know Goof Troop is a mega guild with a troll reputation. The server feels like a living world, in both good and bad ways. Retail feels like the world is a waiting room for instanced content.

Thats why I hate retail.

47 Likes

Have you ran a gdkp funded by indo farmers yet? Classic is much more pay to win than retail.

4 Likes

You know classic is in trouble if classic player defending retail.

Not sure why you want to try retail now. It impossible for you guy to catch up. Just wait for shadowland to even the field and start fresh.

2 Likes

So you find obtaining gear in retail as fulfilling as obtaining gear in Classic? You like the randomly generated raid gear with no tier sets more interesting than items in Classic?

7 Likes

All gear is randomly generated.

It is absolutely not true that there are only a few specs that dominate the raids I am in. It is server dependent on the extent to which guilds force people into optimal specs on their raid. We have a wide variety of specs in my guild and we clear all the content just fine.

As for BGs, half is probably an overstatement. I ranked to 11 by exclusively pugging AB, and I would estimate that a quarter of the games I was against were premades. Most of the rest were actually pretty good games, even though I think alliance lost more than we won of them.

I’ve ran a couple GDKPs, but nothing I’ve seen has gone for nutty amounts. I think the most I’ve seen personally was 6k for a Tear, which seems pretty reasonable considering its BiS for classic.

I agree, botting is a MASSIVE problem in classic, but you have to seek out gold buyers and perform your transactions through their sites.

In retail its a constantly flashing button on your UI. Its always updating you advertising the next sparkle-pony-flying-ship mount that you can drop 40 bucks on. The auction house prices make sure you know that if youre lower than level cap and don’t know what to farm, you’ll need to buy gold to get ANYTHING off the AH because gold is so inflated.

No… In classic raid gear has set stats. Everything has a drop chance, and what you get is a random mix of items on that boss’ loot table, but the gear itself has stats set in stone.

In retail you can spend months farming that one piece of gear, have it drop several times, but its useless every time because the stats it rolled are trash.

7 Likes

What do you mean, all gear is randomly generated? Secondary stats are randomly selected on gear in retail, while all stats on Classic gear are fixed. You don’t reroll for titanforges, different stats or sockets in Classic.

2 Likes

I stay off the retail forums because it’s not my kind of game. I’ve played every WoW expansion and subscribed for 12 years straight… but when I played BFA for a few weeks after really thought about it I figured out that I was only playing WoW out of some sort of obligation and I didn’t actually like the game at all anymore.

The raids are challenging for those who like that so no argument.

The PVP I’ve heard is very bad in BFA. I’ve also heard it is very bad with the recent patching. I don’t have a problem with premades in Classic, actually, I like playing with a premade team. I’ve heard Shadowlands is trying to fix BFAs problems but all the other things I don’t like about the game make me more inclined to just play another game entirely if it means that or PVP in Shadowlands.

I’m not a fan of CRZ at all. I’m not a fan of there being no point in being in a guild unless you’re a hardcore raider at all. I don’t like there being 500 different ways to dress up, 500 different mounts, 1000 different battle pets etc. It makes everything non-relevant and nothing feel “special”.

I don’t like how professions are completely irrelevant (I think Shadowlands does something with this but I don’t have enough interest to look into it).

I don’t like how the gearing is just boring, only about the item level and getting specific stats, and gear is replaced constantly.

Edit: I forgot having “forced dailies” (for gear). They are literally a chore every day and that’s no fun at all.

I may or may not try Shadowlands, but I also said that I may or may not level my original character on retail to 120 from 110 back in Sept 19 and I still haven’t done that, so it’s level 45 right now.

So if you like retail that is great. People who like it should play it. I’ll stick with Classic and also go with my guild to TBC if that comes out. TBC is similar enough anyway… and I’ll keep playing on a Classic server as well in addition to the TBC with the guild probably if that’s an option.

To each their own with game preference. We should all be supporting each other really since it’s all the same sub and we shouldn’t try to change each others minds, just like how I stay off the retail forum.

12 Likes

Just because your guild is playing the meta doesn’t mean the meta doesn’t exist. There is a meta, there has been for 15 years. Its War tanks, war dps, fire mage, rogue, priest pally shaman healers.

3 Likes

My main is a horde rogue on Grob and I will agree heartseeker has some toxic people. But 1 Meta spec, Raid loggin and 0 PvP outside of going to someones city and ganking people. Want to join a BG? Boom Premade. Boom Premade. Boom Premade. Then when it comes to raiding, its just all tank and spank. I littlerally raid with my feet kicked back and just my mouse playing pokemon go. Its boring.

Im glad you enjoy it and im sure others do. Heck I enjoy classic to an extent but retail is the better game

That is one of the things that irritates me the most about retail, there’s no strategy in gearing, any piece of gear of the same item level is basically the same, what makes your character unique is purely cosmetic…transmog, mounts, titles etc

3 Likes