Ret paladin viability

Funny, I find the opposite true. The most success I ever had with a guild was one that was filled with egotistical narcissists who all talked mad snit, did mechanics precisely, and constantly pushed each other to strive for new highs.

Also, that’s only in naxx. Besides that, it will just be one mage who gets the ignite, and ultimately I don’t care as much about in-guild competition as I do out-guild competition. I just want dem 99s next to my name on warcraftlogs.

2 Likes

If I get into a bleeding edge guild, I would worry about logs.

As far as im concerned. If anybody is trying the “oh i have to parse high” or talk about raider IO for forming groups they’re getting ignored immediately. It was never a thing in vanilla and if people try to bring this self imposed e-peen stroking to classic it will get old really quick.

6 Likes

The funny thing about progression raiding in Vanilla and guilds that are very far ahead, is that they are not very far ahead any more. Even on private servers, your server first guild had guilds within hours of their kills also finishing the content.

The only reason people won’t take Rets in cutting edge guilds is if they plan on speed clearing and setting world firsts there. If guilds just want to beat the content first so they can raid log and rank more, there will be Rets. But for those guilds that literally PvE and PvE alone, and speed clear, and spend all of their gold and stack their raids to do so, it won’t be just Rets they don’t take. It will be Hunters, some Warlocks, and some Healers. They’ll stack with more Mages, more Rogues, and more Warriors.

Gone are the days where it’s weeks and months between Ragnaros kills on a particular server. When Rag dies and the first guild thumps their chest, there will be another 5 guilds within the next 3-5 days doing the same.

Parse those logs and beat the other Rets. Compete with some other classes because people will still surprise you at how bad they are. Log a Rag kill later than the server first guilds and enjoy a better loot table and frolick around as a Ret with the first Bonereavers toplel.

1 Like

Be prepared to be disappointed. Epeen stroking was always a part of the game’s DNA as soon as guilds started wiping 10 times on one easy boss. Access to info will make it doubly hard for scrubs to get into things this time. it will be raider io and warcraft logs junkies in guilds actually doing stuff and then a bunch of people with your mindset failing to clear things.

2 Likes

Or you could realize that roles were fight based, not situation based. You shouldn’t need to switch roles during a raid fight.

Cleansing is a utility, it can save the actual healers’ mana which means you can have even less healers for a fight because of the healers mana saved.

6 Likes

Will wait to see, but I highly doubt this.

1 Like

my favorite hunter that ive played with since Vanilla quickly became that because she follows all mechnaics. Shr also uses her bear to save my priest countless times in vanilla.

1 Like

Again, that little bit of mana saved wasn’t alleviating an entire healer’s spot. Either you needed the healer to down or you didn’t. Cleansing and utility was never a make-or-break point for that decision; throughput was. If you had the throughput, you also innately had the cleansing, etc.

1 Like

there’s literally going to be nothing to gauge rIO off of. so that’s a moot damn point.

And logs? Pft. All of the fights in Vanilla were mechanic heavy… You had to do the mechanics to get the fight. Its not going to be parsing and warcraft logs that get you the guilds. It’ll be actually doing the content and showing the guild you’re worth it… that you can follow strats and not lose yourself to tunnel vision. Which most of you parser’s are going to do.

You must really not remember too much about Vanilla Akaidian. Because DPS races were the exception, not the norm.

7 Likes

If you need throughput having less globals occupied for the healers meant more throughput and when less total throughput was needed downranking saved even more mana.

Nothing is make-or-break in vanilla as you could have a raid of just hybrids and beat every encounter of the game.

4 Likes

DING!! DING!! DING!!

For some it is all about topping those damage meters and nothing else matters.

Nobody was really fighting the elitists then so we have to do it now to stop the atmosphere from suffocating half of the playerbase.

2 Likes

Straight up. I dont think he remembers too much about vanilla because uh… other than making sure everybody was beating the tanks. Logs and DPS? pft. You needed to do the mechanics and pay attn and no amount of dps logs can save you from being an idiot.

6 Likes

You’re trolling, right? The vast majority of the fights in classic were tank and spank fights with very very very few mechanics in them.

That most certainly isnt true. There were a lot of mechanics in vanilla. Lot more adds, and CC, and raid damage, effects that spanned whole 100yard rooms and you had to spread out certain ways at certain points to avoid… So. No.

The difference we have today is SOLID strats pounded out over years of practice so they SEEM tank and spank but were anything but learning them and progressing. Much less the add fights and all the CC and other crap you had to do for them. So.

The TWO bosses I’ve seen that are the closest to old Vanilla fights are currently G’huun and Zul. Lots of adds. Other mechanics to apply that affects the fight… Just watered down. Zul is probably the closest as far as add management and movement goes.

1 Like

glwt

Lol. I suppose all those best parses on warcraft logs are done by people who completely ignore mechanics and just die instead. Mechanics back then were nothing compared to the complexities of today from a solo standpoint. The difficulty stemmed from herding 40 cats, half of which were dead from the neck up as far as skill is concerned.

1 Like

Lol. Y’all think that the old vanilla fights are just braindead things you can not pay attention in and roflstomp your way to victory? Musta started raiding late to the game.

Or not been a class that has any sort of CC or responsibility other than faceroll your keyboard.

MC and Onyxia, were relatively low on the scale of mechanics for the early couple bosses, but its the first time raiding was happening. As you look through the history and you see Rag, BWL and then the advance into AQ and then Naxx? I mean. Hot damn, the jump between mechanics in BWL and AQ was huge. And naxx? Try to tank and spank naxx. I dare you.

Some people have already shown that they are ONLY concerned with topping that DPS meter, even if they do have other utility to offer, such as decursing, healing, CC, etc.

Those people typically expect the rest of the raid to handle all the mechanics, and expect the healers to keep them alive even when they refuse to pay attention to the mechanics of the fight or move out of the bad because “that would hurt their DPS”.

1 Like

Plan to play either holy/ret or holy/prot…not sure yet.
And have no desire to do 40 man raids.

Am I the only one here that didn’t raid in vanilla cause it sure seems like it.

3 Likes

A minority of Vanilla players raided at all, and something like 0.1% cleared Naxx-40. You are not the only one who is drawn to Classic and won’t raid much (or at all), but I wonder how rare or common – relative to how it was in Vanilla – the hardcore raider, the casual raider, and the non-raider will be in Classic.

What kind of crowd will this game draw, do you think?