Reserve Your Name in WoW Classic on August 12 at 3:00 p.m. PDT

Two questions:

1. Will name reservation be openly available until the Official release?
  2. The name reservations - This is 3 total characters across all Classic Servers, not 3 characters per server, correct?

Yes I did.

Here is what you linked.

As you’ve noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don’t exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

This blue post does not mention Layering or server ques once. Is sharding layering? No. You provided a blue post about Lore explaining why they used sharding in the WoW Classic Demo. Again you have failed to provide a blue post explicitly stating that LAYERING will be used to resolve server ques.

I’m not ignoring anything. If anything I seem to be the only person who actually listened to what Ion said. Here is a transcript from 3:50 to 6:31 of the video you linked.

Philosophically we are planning to launch with as few of servers as possible. Rather than open many many servers, have no queues, and risk having servers that are under populated a few months in. Because I think one of the unique aspects of Wow classic is that because anyone with an active subscription can jump in and check it out. We think they’re going to be a lot of players who are just curious. They just want to see what it’s all about but they’re not really seriously committed to playing in the long term. And so there may be very huge day one activity that drops off rapidly. Again, I want to make sure that we are sustaining healthy communities in the long term because of how important community is in classic.

Yeah, so technologically our servers have the ability to have many more players on them then they did you know back 15 years ago. Where we run into challenges though, are actually the physical space of the world and the gameplay and the spawns and because we don’t have modern technologies like dynamic spawning and things like that and yes we actually could have 1,000 players in Ellen Forest. The server wouldn’t crash but everyone would have a truly miserable time beyond anything that you experience. And at the same time we want to get a lot of people on the surface so our plan is to use some of our modern technology in a in a short-term way for just those first few weeks. We run like what we do with sharding and the modern game where we have many copies of an individual zone. We’re going to run multiple copies of the entire world like a single cohesive Eastern Kingdoms.

You can take the template across and you’re not you’re staying with the same players you’re traversing the same world but we’ll have multiple layered copies of that world each of which has a capacity similar to what the original servers did at launch. Then over those first few weeks as players spread out more we can actually increase the number of people that we put in one version of the world. While also decreasing the number of worlds required to host the entire server. We’re gonna continue that process over the first few weeks until eventually we will clamps down and promise we will do this a few weeks in to a single world per realm.

No sharding none of that going forward we know that needs to happen before we do something like turn on the world bosses. For example when we have Kazzak and Azuregos there needs to only be one Kazzak ever if the entire server wants to fight over it and kill each other for five hours. That’s what they should do. The answer can never be I will just have a second Kazzak or that is not classic.

I want to highlight one specific point above that Ion said at the beginning of the interview.

Philosophically we are planning to launch with as few of servers as possible.Rather than open many many servers, have no queues, and risk having servers that are under populated a few months in.

Ion just proved my point. Not once did he state there would be no server ques because of Layering. He actually implies that there will be server ques because they are not launching “many many servers” at launch.

So do you need an active subscription or is just having game time (via wow token) enough?

Edit: Reread the post closely again, just need any form of game time.

One use of a game token is to buy or extend a Wow subscription which affords you game time. Game tokens are first converted to Blizzard credit which can then be used to buy any Blizzard digital product in their store, not just WoW. Blizzard credit cannot be used to buy physical products. Blizzard credit is limited to $350, but you can have an additional 10 tokens in your bag bringing the credit limits to $500 per account. Additionally, you can have WoW gold which can later be used to replenish Blizzard credit.

Have you ever drove through large expanses of rural road? Cell service does not exist, and neither do cafes or restaurants with WiFi.

OK I am not responding just to you but people need to learn about time zones. Blizzard’s post has it right. Everyone else using S as the second letter for your time zone (except for a few specific locations is wrong. Currently the Eastern Time Zone is in EDT, the Central Time Zone is in CDT and the Mountain Time Zone is in MDT. Not EST, CST or MST.

The “D” for daylight applies almost 9 months of the year while the “S” is only for approximately 3 months.

1 Like

Google “time zone converter”

The first question: Unknown
second question: three characters total, across the entirety of wow classic; if you want to put all 3 reservations on the same server, you can, or you can spread them out however you like.

Same here! We need RP-PvP!!

1 Like

Yes standard time still exists alongside daylight time but it is only practiced at certain time periods. So you can be a fool and ask people what things are in a time zone that does not exist at current times, or you can learn how something works and use the correct terminology.

1 Like

Elwyndas? Is that you lol

I made a thread about this awhile back and ended up getting a 1 week suspension :frowning:

Are you…kidding me?

You’re the PST/PDT guy?

Sorry that lead to a ban for you I actually started saying it right after that thread

Does this include server locations (i.e. West Coast, Central, East Coast) for ping? Our guild desires a server located in a Central Datacenter so that ping won’t be too high for anyone.

Blizzard,
Could/should do something to help us as the players see faction balance on PVP servers as characters are being created. I understand in the first few hours this could be hard but after at least a few days start showing. For either side having massive one sided populations just causes the losing faction to move/die off.

Not “per WoW account per server”.

Uh, not once did I say that either. Specifically, I’ve repeated everywhere I can that there will be server queues on heavy servers, because there’s a realm layer cap. Because Patrick Dawson told us so.

You claimed that no-one said that layering was implemented to solve server queues. We all said that it was specifically implemented to help with server queues. No-one ever said it would abolish them entirely.

Timestamp: 7:42

Watch this for about 5 minutes. And then tell me where I claimed queues will disappear completely. It dramatically improves the situation, but they want to keep queues low, no-one ever claimed the queues would be gone.

I’m guessing Tornos doesn’t understand the world “alleviate”.

1 Like

I’m wondering if vanilla servers may have some of the same names of retail servers.

If so, say I play retail on Cenarius, if there will be a vanilla Cenarius I’m hoping it’s in the same data center with the same timezone (PST).

This would make it much easier to reserve names on a server we might know and love and know it’s in the same place in the same timezone.

Nope, they’ll be all new names, so that no-one is confused about which realm someone is referring to, and it’ll make things easier on the Realm Forums

Incorrect, I never claimed that.

This is what I claimed:

Do you not understand that i’m asking for a blue post that states this? That is what i’m arguing! I’m not arguing that a developer has not stated on video that layering will alleviate server ques. You have proven that with the Patrick Daweson video you have provided.

Im arguing that you can’t find a single blue post stating layering was implemented to alleviate server ques. And for some reason you either can’t comprehend that or are too stubborn to admit i’m right.

Because there is not a single blue post containing any information on Layering. And if there was. I trust you would have found it already. Because you’re unbelievably resourceful, Eloraell. It’s why I admire you.

Then you moved the goal post to:

I would like more clarification on this. Are you referring to the post below?

If you are, in Ion’s own words:

Philosophically we are planning to launch with as few of servers as possible. Rather than open many many servers, have no queues, and risk having servers that are under populated a few months in.

Ion proves my point. Not once did he state there would be no server ques because of Layering. He actually implies that there will be server ques because they are not launching “many many servers” at launch.