Requiring "score" to use valor upgrades = poor system

WTF it was plenty nice.

Just admit, you misread what I said and now you’ve dug a hole so deep you can’t get out of it.

Something is wrong with you.

1 Like

:rofl:

I guess you know what everyone should be doing.

The system is fair and balanced im9

Getting Valor and spending it on upgrades is something you can control and do.
Getting the RNG for a weapon drop is a gamble you might never win.

It’s literally to solve the latter situation that Valor was re-introduced, by enabling the former.

3 Likes

I was in same boat as you. I did my convent dailies and had accumulated some valor. Did a low key and had a ring than went to upgrade it, but was stopped by the rating system.

Was not interested in trying to get into more pugs as most will not even invite you if your io score is not high. It just another time-gate to keep players on the hampster wheel. Grind valor, then grind to use that valor, but need to grind m+ to increase your io score to be invited for higher keys.

5 Likes

But valor costs are prohibitive. In the time you’ll farm it up to do upgrades from 1/12, you’ll have gotten many duplicates of higher ilvl.

It’s advice, take it or leave it.

Also in 2 weeks I believe, you’ll be able to get your first dinar in a single week, meaning 278/285 weapons for fresh alts just by full clearing LFRs.

1 Like

Gary Gygax, the creator of role-playing games back in the 1970’s, always said that rewards MUST come from overcoming appropriate challenges.

Thoughtless placement of powerful magic items has been the ruination of many a campaign. Not only does this cheapen what should be rare and precious, it gives player characters undeserved advancement and empowers them to become virtual rulers of all they survey. This is in part the fault of this writer, who deeply regrets not taking the time and space to stress repeatedly the importance of moderation. Had the whole been with an admonition to use care and logic in placement or random discovery of magic items, had the intent, meaning, and spirit of the game been more fully explained, much of the give-away aspect of such campaigns would have willingly been squelched. The sad fact is, however, that this was not done, so many campaigns are little more than a joke, something that better DM’s jape at and ridicule - rightly so - because of the foolishness of players with astronomically high levels of strength and no real playing skill. These god-like characters boast and strut about with scores of mighty magic items, artifacts, relics adorning them as if they were Christmas trees decked out with tinsel and ornaments. Not only are such “Monty Haul” games a crashing bore for most participants, they are a headache for their DMs as well, for the rules of the game do not provide anything for such play - no reasonable opponents, no rewards, nothing!
-Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master’s Guide, by Gary Gygax, Revised Edition (1979), page 92

8 Likes

The alternative is something like how raid upgrades work this season. To get an item to 298, you need x upgrade tokens that drop from keys 15 and above.

should of left as is in season one i think it was get the rating on one toon and be done with it. why people wanna do the same thing on every toon just to upgrade your gear is beyond me after three full expacs of keys basically they sure are loosing the fun they had when in legion.

1 Like

It’s AD&D.

Roll a 1 and you’re disintegrated. No skill applies.

There was no rating in Season 1.

1 Like

what?

:crazy_face:

It’s actually smart. It keeps people from only farming/learning 2’s then jumping into 15’s to get a carry.

If you don’t push high content then you don’t need the gear.

5 Likes

you know when i was talking about when you only had to get rating on one toon whenever it was keys are getting boring they don’t do enough to make them fun and exciting like they was when first dong them.

1 Like

What ?

There was no rating in season 1. It was introduced Season 2 :

1 Like

So you are not familiar with raider io?

Upgrades were bound to achieve but we def had io a month or two now.

Yes. I am.

Blizzard wasn’t using an external database with an external rating system to allow gear upgrades in Season 1, which is what was discussed.

Season 1 upgrades were not “rating based” because there was no in-game rating in Season 1.

Which is what I was responding to :

Context : it matters.

1 Like

Oh so you were being purposefully specific when you clearly knew what they meant. Gotcha. Tact matters.

2 Likes

Do you often interject in other people’s conversations like this ?

It’s not untactful to point out the rating system did not exist in Season 1 which explains why Season 1 had a different upgrade gate.

1 Like

So you can’t fathom that their point was that you did it on one toon and could upgrade alts? Or still being purposefully obtuse?

1 Like

What? Why would you want to use valor to upgrade your gear when you can just do a higher key? It’s a lot less time consuming. If you are doing 5s, there is no reason to get gear from 15s.