Request for memorial

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this. I know this may be a long shot, and I understand that permanent in‑game memorials are rare, but I wanted to make a heartfelt request for something small and meaningful in World of Warcraft specifically in WoW Forever, the version my father would have loved most.

My father passed away around Thanksgiving in 2025. WoW was something we shared together from the very beginning since vanilla. We both rolled Alliance and played side‑by‑side until about level 20. As a teenager, I had more time to play and eventually outleveled him, but he never cared about progression. He found what he loved, and he stayed with it for years: mining in Elwynn Forest.

My dad only mined, and only in Elwynn. He spent countless hours running his routes, selling ore on the Auction House, and giving gold away to random players in Stormwind just to brighten their day. Before add‑ons existed, he even hand‑drew a map of Elwynn Forest with every mining node marked and timed. He knew the respawn rate of every vein. That quiet loop mining, selling, giving was his joy.

As I grew older, I moved servers, raided, swapped to Horde, and kept progressing through expansions. He stayed in Elwynn, mining happily, until strokes took away his ability to use a computer. His health declined rapidly after that his vision, his cognition, his mobility. I stepped in to help care for him, and between that and work, I stopped playing WoW for a long time too.

A couple of years ago, when his health was failing, I wrote about how much this game meant to us. He was the man who taught me how to be one through divorce, the military, and every challenge life threw at me. He was the constant in my life. Watching him reach the end of his life broke me.

Recently, I finally logged back into WoW. I made an Alliance Paladin and stepped into Elwynn Forest. I wasn’t prepared for the wave of memories. I picked up mining and ran the old routes, crying as I did it, wishing he could be there with me like he used to. I saw one of the NPC miners and found myself wishing I could rename him after my dad, just so I could mine with him again.

This game let me be with my father even when I was deployed or living far away. When I told him I was playing again, he smiled and asked how the game was doing. WoW brought us so much joy. It will always be special to me, and when he finally passed, I found myself sitting in Elwynn Forest my character standing strong while the man behind the keyboard fell apart.

Because of all this, I wanted to ask if it might be possible to add a small memorial in Elwynn Forest in WoW Forever. Nothing large even something as simple as a lone miner NPC would mean the world to me. Just a quiet nod to a man who spent years happily mining there, giving away gold, and finding peace in that forest. It would let him “live” in the version of the game he would have loved most.

I know this is a long shot, but I had to ask. Thank you for your time, your compassion, and for creating a world that gave me so many years with my dad.

My condolences for your loss.

You can also add a personal memorial to your own house nowadays. It’s a much suggested feature and they have something like that.

Sorry for your loss! Afraid that is something blizzard does not do. Not that they do not want to but it is not practical

Unfortunately yeah, this isn’t something Blizzard is able to accommodate. Memorials were always very few and far between, and even less so now days.

The housing idea mentioned above is a fantastic one. While you can’t really make NPCs, you can make your own little mining area and decorate it to look like a slice of Elwynn Forest. I believe that someday armour racks will be coming to housing so you could get a dummy and put an outfit on it they your dad used to wear and such.

It wouldn’t be practical for them to do this because the amount of players that would request it would be too much.

One time they did this was with Make a wish during TBC. If you go to the tauren starting area, You will see a NPC looking for his dog, Part of a quest. The NPC uses the voice of the boy from make a wish. I know he passed away a number of years ago and still something to hear his voice if you go there.

Agreed. You have access to a lovely house with areas of the neighborhood that look much like Elwynn forest.

You can make a wonderful tribute there and visit it as long as the servers run which, hopefully, is a good while yet.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I remember that. “Have you seen my dog?”