Request for different arena cr per spec in SL...why not?

I know this has never been a thing but can someone tell me why? What are the downsides?

I guess it might be a pain for some people who are equally good in different specs as they’d have to play more games and maintain both…but I feel this is rare and this change wouldn’t be that big an issue for them.

It is a big issue for me though to play my MW Monk main spec to a certain rating, then want to try out WW but be completely noob at it and suck when playing games at my MW CR. Healer and melee damage dealer are completely different play styles and as I don’t have consistent partners, it’s unfair for me to tank rating intentionally or be playing MMR games that I have no business being in as WW.

It’s probably one of the reasons you get people in your group who are actually the CR they stated but are playing well below that level because they are playing a different spec they’re not as good with.

One of the things that attracts me to classes like Monk is the ability to play different roles but the current system makes it difficult and I end up just not playing WW in arena. Would be even worse for someone playing Druid and wanting to play all of Resto/Balance/Feral but applies even to classes with 3 different damage dealing specs.

4 Likes

I love this idea. So many times I’ve wanted to experiment with queuing the other druid specs but don’t because of the CR implications.
The idea could have serious implications when it comes to win trading though so I don’t know how successful it could be.

This is a dumb idea.

You’re playing a class not a spec. If you want to play around as a diff spec there’s skirms.

2 Likes

This isn’t really true ever since they did away with the old school talent trees. Blizz has treated each spec as an individual class.

1 Like

It’d be cool to be able to opt into if you wanted. This is why I usually play 2 priests though, so I can just mess around on the other. BfA made that really hard to do.

1 Like

Yes please!

And they stated they were backtracking on that theory with shadowlands and going back to class identity.

Don’t think it will happen because of possible abuse mechanics.

Do think there could be some benefit to it but just imagining a lot of potential wintrading and/or boosts happening, along with intentional tanks on one spec, grinding up rating on a 2nd, swapping over to main spec (which you’re now super low MMR on) to help push a team past a desired threshold.

Yeah! Healing is exactly the same as melee DPS, and the same as ranged DPS, and exactly the same as playing a tank. Affliction is also exactly the same as playing destro.

Seems like you’d never have different rating when switching between different specs…oh wait.

2 Likes

That line of thinking doesn’t work when it comes to classes like Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Priest, or Monk. For all of those classes each specialization plays very differently from the other. Moonkin right now is miles different from the psuedo-Rogue that Feral is. Same with Ret to Holy.
Having the ability to play those specs without destroying my main specs rating would be really nice.

2 Likes

It’s still you’re single char regardless of the role you play via spec.

It would be super easy to abuse.

Yeah, I agree as well. It would be super easy to abuse. However, I don’t think the argument of “one character, one rating” should be based around the idea that we play a class not a spec. Many people see themselves as a Spec-Class not just a class.

See that’s where I disagree.

I have always considered myself x class. I have a spec preference but I don’t limit myself to only playing one spec.

This is why some people have 2-3 of the same classes leveled to max level and geared. With how much RNG still exists in the game it’s not a terrible idea to have 2 of the same class anyways, because eventually if you gear both one will hit the lottery in a weekly chest (this is still a thing in SL) and then you can make that char your better of the 2.

Always nice to have one char to play competitively and the 2nd one to yolo on.

If anything, it’s the other way around.

We play a spec, not a class.

Wrong.

You’re playing a x spec of y class.

You can also play z spec of y class or q spec of y class.

End of the day you’re playing that class even though you may prefer a certain spec.

You’re technically right BUT to those of us who don’t play true DPS classes like Rogue/Mage/Lock/DK/DH we identify most with a specialization and playstyle over the class itself.

I must have a different mindset then most people because even on hybrids like my Druid I’ll have at least 3 gear sets for 3 specs so I can flex my role as needed.

I am a Druid who primarily focuses on boomkin but I will play resto or feral if needed/it’s better

I honestly think it would be cool. You can push with main spec and then go off spec for some fun no stress games with fresh cr. I dont see the problem but I dont know the ins and outs of what it would take or what could come of it. Still I like the idea.

1 Like

The downside would be that some people play two different specs at a high level and switch between specs while pushing rating. They might do this to adjust to a team that they keep queing into, a meta shift, or just for fun. I personally wouldn’t be apposed to your suggestion, but I could see how it might eff over a lot of people.

1 Like