Reporting Language

Right click report is always checked by a GM staff, and either the silence is enforced or removed on appeal.

6 Likes

I am just making thoughtful suggestions, the forums and trade were usually where the real pvp happened.

1 Like

7 Likes

This is not the appropriate place for suggestions - that would be General Discussion. The devs do not come to Customer Support to collect feedback.

7 Likes

Guess you win the duel.

1 Like

No. The Mature Language Filter is there for parents of children and others who wish to block it but it doesn’t excuse the language used. Our game is and has always been Rated T for Teen. It always has had policies that govern that kind of language and subject matter we deem inappropriate.

Yes, it was handled by the community by allowing the community to report it via a ticket. That was inefficient and often took way more time as some folks would forget to include character names or the realm the character was on. The easy option makes it easier to report but it didn’t fundamentally change a players desire to remove inappropriate language/subject matter from the game.

The only thing that has changed with time is apathy and the false narrative that you shouldn’t bother reporting because we won’t do anything or don’t care. That has never been true, but that never stops some individuals from trying to convince others that their behavior is fine and it’s their problem if they don’t like it.

And nothing has changed there, Aresego. The players you are around may not have reported you, it doesn’t make you immune, it doesn’t mean they won’t later down the line and that doesn’t make them in the wrong if they do. I’m glad you found a community that seems to tolerate the language you use, but that doesn’t mean everyone will, or that they should.

14 Likes

Well i am still not going to reverse that i strongly believe this is hurting the game. As i honestly feel ganged up on and unable to even fight back…i will see myself out, and go back to where…i am tolerated.

2 Likes

No one here said your opinions should change or was wrong. Most of us just don’t agree with you.

6 Likes

You are welcome to your opinion, Aresego. Obviously, I don’t share that opinion. I believe that creating a toxic environment makes that environment only really appealing for certain folk. While there are some that may tolerate that environment for awhile, it doesn’t make it healthy or pleasant place to spend your free time and it does more harm long term because it tends to attract similar mindsets and turn away nearly everyone else.

I’m not here to change your opinion, just to clarify what I have in my previous post. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

To me and many others just bad language does not mean toxic, even people that harass and use bad language against another…i don’t know it has a time and its place. Now you can just threaten “I’m reporting you!” and limit more activity as well as solving nothing as your community player will still be on your server and you just antagonized them, feels extremely passive aggressive and counter intuitive.

Also gonna add, i am not really even speaking about right and wrong here, i am talking about higher player activity. If the profanity filter was for parents to make sure kids were not exposed to accidental bad language…why can’t the adult not with a kid use the same function to assist their own experience they wanted in the beginning before winding into this situation?

1 Like

I would agree with you, it does have it’s time and place. That isn’t in a game that is rated T for Teen though. That fact really should be the best indicator that the public environment in-game may not be the appropriate time or place.

Understand, that is primarily for the public environment. For one on one communication, we tend to only step in if the person you are contacting has an issue with the language you are using. In addition, Guild and Custom Chat channels at considered “at will” and we tend to be more hands off, unless the reported violations are egregious.

9 Likes

It is possible to argue without using inappropriate language.

13 Likes

indeed. A mark of skill in argumentation is doing so without resorting to garbage tactics like coarse language.

The only point swearing really gets across is “I don’t know how to communicate.”

10 Likes

Parent with a child and… those who do not wish to see it. Regardless of age we hold specific policies in place to give a user an indication of what kind of social content we allow in-game. That includes what kind of language/subject matter is tolerated. You may be looking for a different environment, but we don’t offer that by default and if you wish to violate our policies you do so at the risk of being penalized accordingly.

6 Likes
1 Like

You didn’t shake things up, just most of here don’t agree with you and you don’t like it.

8 Likes

Keep in mind, the game rating is for Blizzard’s content. As this is an online game and we can communicate within it to others, we’re held to a different standard. The EULA holds the rules for players.

It really shouldn’t be a challenge not to type something that’s not appropriate. It’s not like when you’re speaking and something accidentally slips out. You have time to read what you’ve typed prior to hitting enter/submit/etc.

I hope that you’ve also seen the other side of things via these replies. That there are reasons to have such rules in place :wink:

10 Likes

While in-game content is governed by the ESRB and our Teen rating, player behavior is governed by the EULA and Code of Conduct. With that in mind there is some content that while perfectly acceptable when experienced through the game (i.e. NPC’s, quest dialog, etc…) it would not be appropriate as part of a player discussion on the forums.

Understand that the rating we have is based on type and frequency, which is controlled by our Developers. We cannot control player generated content to fall within those same guidelines. You’ll also find that “mild language” really isn’t penalized. It is that which falls into vulgar and directed that we tend to hit.

9 Likes

Mild language. Your statements here seem to imply that the language you and your friends use wouldn’t qualify as ‘mild’.

And again, the ESRB rating governs what Blizzard can do or say, not the players. We follow the EULA and code of conduct.

Edit - While I appreciate the likes, I’m not sure why you needed to do so on so many of your alts. I’m flattered, though. :kissing_heart:

16 Likes

Arosego said he got a notice of a need to conform with the times, no longer are his views tolerable or acceptable. Bad language or not, and he says he is sorry.