Reporting a player

I saw a name that very clearly violates the terms (I usually ignore mild ones, but this was pretty bad). The player took off before I could target and report the way the game wants me to, and any ticket I try to open keeps redirecting me to the “target the player and right click…”

I added the name to my friend’s list hoping I could get that option from right clicking them on the list, no dice. So I tried for when they logged on, right clicking their name in the chat window, but there was still no report option.

Do I have to stalk this person just to target and report?

1 Like

You are correct, the only reporting systems in game for names are by the chat line, from the guild and communities page, or by the character panel. You can’t report from the friends list, or the auction house list either.

2 Likes

Perhaps not stalk, but you’ll need to see them again before you’ll be able to report them through the right click report option. Sorry.

1 Like

If the name is really that bad though, someone else will probably report it. Contrary to popular belief, it only takes one report for Blizzard to review the name. And if you never see them again, why worry about it? If it offends other people, they can report it.

3 Likes

Really the system is not good enough and players should not be able to make terrible names at character creation. I see players going around with certain camp names relating to WWII. It’s not hard you can find them on the armory Blizz.

What do you propose should be done? I’m curious what your solution is.

5 Likes

The armory isn’t accurate at all when it comes to finding names. It doesn’t take into account those that have already been flagged but haven’t logged in to actually change them. It is notoriously slow to up date at times. Etc.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if the system isn’t good enough for you, Kanajana, but it is impossible to list every single possible name, word, title, etc… that may be considered inappropriate or offensive. We do what we can and try to snag the most obvious ones, we have a lot of names on our blocked list, and we add more daily, as names are reported and reviewed.

The volume of possibly offensive names is limitless, and people are… creative. If you see a name that you believe may violate policy, please use the right click report option to report it for review. Once a name goes on the prohibited list it doesn’t retroactively change every character that may have had it prior to that, so those characters need to be reported individually, as they are noticed.

I should point out that the names you may be able to search for on the Armory aren’t necessarily accurate. The Armory doesn’t list if the name is already flagged for a name change, or list if it is deleted, or transfers, etc…

If you’d like to provide feedback on the in-game reporting system you can submit that through the submit a suggestion option in the help menu.

6 Likes

They actually block names at character creation already. Try it and see. They need to do something with code that recognizes more than it does.

That simply isn’t possible, you are never going to catch them all, especially with people being creative and getting around it.

6 Likes

Blizzard is reactive when it comes to inappropriate names and such. Blizzard tried being proactive in many things years ago, but it didn’t work out as planned.

If you see those names in-game, Right-click > Report.

Also, just saying “the system isn’t good enough” is not constructive feedback (which should be in General Discussion anyway). If you want to propose something, say how it can be improved, not just “it’s broke, fix it!”.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I get it. However there should be priority given to names related to what I mentioned before imo. I will keep reporting as I see them.

Specifically, what do you want them to do? What should be on the list?

You seem to think they can magically block every clever alternate spelling. I wonder how many thousands of ways there are to spell Kanajana with alt characters. The list would be infinite, unweildy and unmanageable.

So again, what exactly do you think needs to be done?

7 Likes

To give another example, people can just respell the blocked name or add letters without even bothering with accented letters (alt characters).

Let’s say I can’t use Itsuki.
No problem!
We have Etsuki, Itsukee, Itsukey, Itsukii, Itsuuki, etc.
Or instead of Kanajana, Kahnajana.

3 Likes

Yeah I get it, and you are right :no_mouth: <======== shuts up lol!

3 Likes