Replaying BfA's certain parts is painful

Makes me realize how quick the HvA conflict has been forgiven/forgotten.

From Horde using injured/near to death elves as target practice, to Stormsong Valley’s villagers being impaled in front of their children. And the best part is, it wasn’t the Forsaken only, there were Trolls, Mag’har, regular Orcs, etc…

But for some reason everything is thrown into Sylvanas even though it’s pretty clear she didn’t do all that alone.

33 Likes

Everybody knows the Horde was complicit, even the Horde players. That’s what makes the conclusion to the war effort so stupid. They tried to pin it all on Sylvanas loyalists ignoring that “Sylvanas loyalists” were the majority of the Horde.

27 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like the fact the Horde enjoyed the War is a secret, you can see it throughout the whole expansion. But for some reason everyone is absolved of their crimes magically.

5 Likes

That’s what happens when Blizzard realize the hole they dug when they’re already halfway to China and hastily try to reverse direction. Either that or you can believe them when they say this was really their intention and they’re just awful writers who never saw how unsatisfying a conclusion absolving a Horde that revelled in Sylvanas’ actions until she outright insulted them is.

8 Likes

https://i.redd.it/koq97tb9ug241.png

this is what it felt like to me (only from the Night Elves’ PoV)

There are so many elements just missing for the story to make even the slightest bit of sense and obviously this also affects other races, but the night elves are just the prime example in BfA.

8 Likes

Actually none of that bothers me in the slightest. What bothers me is that writers feel it appropriate to slap a swasshhticker on 50% of their subscribers.

18 Likes

People seem to forget that Blizzard did this exact same thing in Cata/MoP. “It was all Garrosh’s fault. The rest of the Horde did nothing! Let’s walk away from it and trust that they’ll be good!”

Yes, it is very stupid. Yes, the writing for this expansion is the lowest point in WoW’s narrative sequencing. Yes, we are stuck with it.

Heavy sigh.

17 Likes

Not necessarily:

What can be complained about is the soldiers involved with the burning of Teldrassil not being handed over to the Alliance, but the catapult operators and pyromaniac shaman were never even put on screen, so hard to determine who they even were.

For Ëlësåna:

Though, to note, Ion stated this is not peace at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Fwh7b37FE&t=9m8s :

This is an armistice. This isn't holding hands and forgiving and forgetting. You know, there's a large portion of the Alliance that are like, "Hey, literally you just committed genocide against a portion of our group." We're not just gonna put bygones- to say bygones are bygones and move on from there. And likewise, there are Horde that harbor long held grudges. But it's moving away from a period of open warfare back to the state of uneasy tension that a lot of Warcraft has seen over the years. When we're fighting the Lich King, fighting Deathwing, we set differences aside where it makes sense.
6 Likes

I don’t know, the Anduin speech in Orgrimmar and the whole Council makes me think that this just proves how stupid the writing can be.

Sure they may say that, but from all that we’ve been shown, this is nothing but friendly interactions between factions.

Jaina and Thrall casually reminiscing, Baine being painted as a saint even though he acted late and Taurens were also part of the War. Anduin handing over Shalamayne to Saurfang. Gazlowe noting that working with the Alliance is profitable (in a friendly way) Thalyssra and Jaina talking like friends over spells.

The only character that I’ve noticed being wary of the Horde has been Shandris, and honestly, you can’t blame her.

2 Likes

God I love how Blizz is like “The Horde Holds Grudges too!”. We don’t care enough about the Horde to actually define those grudges, or even make them valid. Hell, we just spent an entire expansion harping on about Horde Honor, which even we cannot define outside of referencing how the Horde treats the Alliance. Jeez … these passionless writers who care so much more about the stories they want to tell; than the setting they have to tell them in.

Its … so surreal to me that he gets up on stage and says “The Alliance hates the Horde for Genocide, but … like, the Horde has some grievances too yah know”. At some point, someone decided that in a setting with a Faction Conflict the Horde could be antagonists for the Alliance, but the Alliance could never be antagonists for Horde. If there was any sign that this man who claims to “like writing the Horde” never considers the Horde anything other than a plot device … its this speech.

29 Likes

You can tell that the impaled humans was meant to be done by the Quilboar, but in blizzards latest fashion, they just swapped out Quilboar for horde races and left the impaled bodies when they swapped out that chain for the AvH one.

You know blizzard screwed up the narrative structure of this expansion big time when they had to shove in an AvH plot line in an AvH focused expansion at the last minute

23 Likes

I started this expansion out having sympathy for Alliance players.

Recently, however, it seems all they want to do is kick Horde players while they’re down.

9 Likes

When has Shandris seemed wary of the Horde? She’s one of the staunchest Anduin supporters as of the PTR. I’ve only noticed Genn, Shaw, and Tyrande.

No we didn’t

We were still fighting one another as we invaded Icecrown

Muradin wouldn’t even let Saurfang get to his son’s body

6 Likes

Yeah, kind of in the same boat. If nothing else, I’ve grown very numb to Teldrassil. I just do not care about it anymore, after a year and a half of being told I should feel guilty about a bunch of digital elves getting burned.

13 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I think it’s more anger that this story even exists in the first place.

I play both factions, I can hate what they’ve done to each faction’s narrative for different reasons.

As far as the Horde goes, it’s exactly what I said it was way back in the pre-expansion WotT patch. The Horde has become complicit in something far worse than Blizzard intends. And that’s bad. The Horde SHOULDN’T have to feel like monsters. Unfortunately the only kind of “development” Blizzard seems to be capable of giving them is that exact defining quality. It’s stupid, and it’s terrible. But I don’t fault Horde PLAYERS in the slightest.

…well…maybe the ones who demanded that there be a loyalist route in the first place. But even then it’s only slightly.

12 Likes

I eventually did it on the Alliance side and it was even hard to stomach then.

You couldn’t even call it a victory. More a pyrrhic one.

5 Likes

And honestly that’s fine. But rather than the war ending with a bloodied Horde and Alliance snarling “This. Isn’t. Over” at eachother before turning to face larger threat we got the hostility’s ceasing because Windrunner just sorta left.

15 Likes

I agree. And I’m not directing this comment at you in particular. But, think about it. What purpose could a thread like this possibly serve? Digging deep to re-litigate an old grudge over something Blizzard changed last-minute and that was received negatively by almost everybody? What possible purpose could the OP have other than to try and kick some fresh sand in the eyes of Horde players?

I dislike painting with a broad brush, but I am extremely tired of what feels like constant Alliance demands that Horde players feel guilty and bend over backwards to soothe their feelings. Like Droite said, I’ve grown numb to appeals to guilt after being hit over the head with them so consistently and for so long.

18 Likes

You might have not noticed, but only Forsakens, Goblins and Blood Elves are paraded like this. Never will you see an Orc, Troll or Tauren. Ever.

7 Likes