Rep Grinds

You don’t speak for why people play this game. Speak to why you play, not others.

1 Like

For you. Not for everyone.

I can agree that reputation probably ought to be obtainable in dungeons. Removing reputation requirements entirely, though? Overkill. Options are good. If you want more options, I will happily support you. If you want to remove the options others enjoy, I will stand against you.

1 Like

They still are optional

1 Like

My guild was still running it because we liked it. :frowning: I don’t think anyone needed a single drop from there in our group, but I remember the last run before WotLK, we were in vent talking about the possibility of running it for exp when the expansion came out. lol

I do miss those times. I stayed up way too late and suffered the next day at work more times than I care to admit, but I loved it so much.

1 Like

I never said I wanted it removed. What I am saying is it should not be a replacement for better content, or a lock for most content, just niche things. I have no problem for it being a requirement for some things, like attunements (which IMO would make the game better), but it should not be locking everything as a way to force people into doing more useless crap to stay playing, when in many cases, it has the opposite effect.

I still haven’t come across this grind everyone talks about I pretty much have completed all requirements through progressions and hitting some world quest that really isn’t a grind. I remember grinding for the Wintersabre mounts before the implemented the daily quest, now that was a grind

You’re not making much sense, IMO. You’re okay with rep grinds being required for attunement, but don’t want them to force people to do ‘useless crap’ (which basically means things the individual player doesn’t like).

If rep is required for attunement, then nothing changes. Instead of doing slightly different non-challenging content out in the world, you’d just be doing the same non-challenging content in an instance over and over.

For that matter, dungeons are less granular than WQs. If I have 20 minutes to play before I have to leave the house, I can knock out one or two WQs in that time, easy.

If I have the same amount of time, it’s highly unlikely I can knock out a dungeon – especially if I’m DPS and have to wait in queue.

1 Like

Do you remember all the stuff you had to go through to access and complete certain dungeons?

1 Like

Not if you wanted to raid, craft, get epics as a casual, unlock certain dungeons.

Want a cool new allied race? Grind the rep… in a few hours.

That’s another thing- with emissaries, the ‘rep grind’ after finishing the storylines amounts to a few hours of emissaries.

Rep grinds used to take months, and hundreds of hours of repetitive mob grinding or ‘dailies’ that were limited and often involved a lot of travel and more grinding.

If you don’t like rep grinding, fine- strange game to play, but fine, to each their own- but don’t do the whole ‘good old days’ schtick when this is the best it’s ever been by a massive margin.

3 Likes

I think what he is saying is “Rep grinds are ok for things other people want, but not for things I want.” At least that is my take on it after reading this thread.

1 Like

I don’t like to assume such, but I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t the impression I’ve been getting.

You think you do but you dont. Its blizzards new business model

What is this word “Forced” everyone keeps using?

1 Like

Forced: I have to do the thing to get the stuff. AKA it is not being used correctly.

1 Like

Less mandatory now than it was in wrath and cata

really just allied races/story but ok

This is a lie the old reps sucked just as bad

I personally don’t mind reps for what they are, but do wish they still had the tabards or the commendations.

Another thing I wish still existed is mobs that give rep that you can grind. That gives people the option of killing 21k mobs for 1 rep a piece if they so choose. It also helps someone who is really close to exalted but with no available means of rep remaining for the day to go out and grind for a bit and finish up.

More options would be nice.

Edit: forgot to mention rep turn ins, like beads or feathers, marks etc…

^ Quoted for emphasis.

I am all for “many paths up the mountain”, for sure. I think, though, it boils down to development time. How many options do you include? Which?

I remember the old Timbermaw Furbolg rep grind well (I really wanted those Warbear patterns), and I would not trade it for Word Quests + Emissary + Mission board, even if I can only do so much toward a goal in a day.

Tabards would be nice, though, as a rep flagger rather than your reward for hitting Exalted.

1 Like

Any of them at this point. lol They could add multiple and just not let them stack. So if you use a commendation on your main to buff rep, then your alts would get faster rep, but if they wear a tabard they wouldn’t get a stacking buff.

If you’d rather grind it yourself in dungeons, then you could just use the tabard.

There could be turn ins or mobs to grind as well, but those seemed to always be extremely slow, so I don’t think they would affect much since it would likely be a smaller % of the player base actually doing that.

This too. I only buy them to unlock the transmog then I vendor them. I never use a tabard in my mogs, so outside simply unlocking them, they have 0 use to me or people like me.

1 Like

There have always been rep grinds, and some dungeon attunements existed in vanilla, but OP is correct in the basic points made. I hate rep grinds. I rarely did rep grinds in wow past, but now feel more compelled all the time. Recently I have been rep grinding a bit, but it will take me forever.

Exactly, thank you. Before Legion, I had a few reps exalted on a couple toons. That was it. Now rep grinds ARE the content. This is what I am trying to say. In Wrath and Cata and even MOP, reps were not something that everyone got to exalted, now they steer people towards rep grinds as a form of content where before they were an additional thing if you wanted X specific thing.

I know people like to get into defensive “Blizzard can do no wrong” territory, but lets stop pretending that this design choice has not had the effect of chasing people away.

2 Likes