Renown 80 Boost

Now that renown 80 will be old content will the renown 40 boost item be upgraded to a renown 80 boost?

Even if it required another toon on the account to have R80 in the covenant that the new alt is in I think it would dramatically ease the ability of players to try their different alts in different content types. Especially in PvP where the post R40 renown catchup gain rate is nearly non-existent.

I don’t see any very good reasons at this point in the expansion to have a layer of player power locked behind a seemingly arbitrary grind.

79 Likes

Definitely agree. Feels like it’s time to add this, or 60 if nothing else.

Alt friendliness should be the key and this is a big part of it.

28 Likes

Bremmenn makes great points, especially since we are at the point in the expansion where the power player being locked matters, having renown 40 doesn’t open up your final soul bind upgrade which matters to players. I think if a player has hit R80 there should be a boost to 80 at this stage.

18 Likes

Good point. As much as I multi-alt, I still have quite a few that aren’t at 80, despite hours of Comp Stomp :wink:

Having been through the grind to 80 on ~10 characters and the covenant campaigns around 6 times, I feel like it’s just a time sink at this point. If we have 80 on a covenant, we should be able to boost an alt to 80 of that same covenant. It was a nice (and surprising) gift to have been able to boost to 40 this last time around.

9 Likes

Agreed. At this point, Renown isn’t meant to be a grind, and it’s strictly player power. There’s no reason to not let us have a skip to Renown 80 if we’ve already gotten it on another character for that covenant. This was their reasoning for adding the Incense of Infinity (which was desperately needed, and I’m still grateful they added it), so why not for Renown 80 too?

It would be nice to be able to skip the covenant’s story if we’ve already done that story on another character too. Like Blizzard originally announced would be possible in 9.1. But scrapped at the last minute.

The Korthia campaign, and thus things like the grappling points, are locked behind finishing your covenant campaign. Which has pretty much made me lose interest in getting my alts to 60 as I don’t want to go through the campaigns a third time. (Some of the campaigns are very long too lol)

I haven’t been on the PTR, as I’ve been trying to be good and avoid spoilers for once, so I’m not sure if Zereth Mortis’s story is gated similarly, but hopefully it isn’t.

11 Likes

That’s a great point! I checked on an alt that has done nothing but skips and it appears that the ZM campaign quests post-skip are available without prerequisites.

4 Likes

I was talking with my guild about this they all hate the absolute grind of 80 renown on all the alts they have and how long it takes. I think that if we had a 80 renown catch up it could be earning 80 renown on all 4 covenants across all characters. That we we have a clear goal on what to do and if someone has already finished it is an instant upgrade for all the toons without running torghast for 3 weeks straight. I also am of the opinion for my only PvPers that renown should be earned higher for rated.

6 Likes

Right. I just want to play the game on my alts, not spend X amount of time grinding an arbitrary borrowed power that I already spent weeks grinding out on my 2 “mains.” Not very alt-friendly to lock so much behind the grinds we’ve had recently. Would love to have an expansion without it.

14 Likes

Exactly. I recognize that the latest PTR build is a release candidate but this will be a big missed opportunity to encourage returning players to stick around. It seems to me that this change is eventually inevitable and will end up in the next .5 patch in a few months anyway; but by then the damage will be done and the opportunity to head game play that just “feels bad” off at the pass needlessly missed.

4 Likes

Yup there should be an 80 renown boost now, or at the very least vastly increased renown catch-up levels. I have quite a few alts and the thought of having to get them all to 80 renown and how long it can take really puts me off wanting to do it.

I get it when it’s the new thing people should experience it as intended, but now we are coming up to 9.2 being released there should be something added to help out those with alts and those that have to change covenants or classes for the new raid…and not only that but returning players hoping to jump back into the game and then seeing there are so many renown levels they need to catch-up on would be very off putting

7 Likes

I agree that there should be a boost for capping your Renown at the cap of Level 80. There is many players that may need to switch covenants for the new raid coming out including myself as I plan on switching.

The boost should be available to all players that have reached Renown 80 with at least (1) covenant. You would be able to use this boost on your alts as well to jump into the action quickly without having to grind your Renown all over by switching covenants and such.

If you are a new player to the game and needs to grind to 80 from scratch, Perhaps add a new questline for new players to complete - Which may grant Renown Level 80 upon completion.

3 Likes

I would hope that the 80 renown boost would also remove the need to do the covenant campaign again for alts.

5 Likes

In regards to covenant alt friendliness, I’d like to see them make the abomination factory items (Malleable Flesh and superior Parts) BoA.

I have 500+ flesh and 60+ parts on my main necrolord, but my new necrolord is struggling to get enough to craft the abominations.

The same can be said about the Night Fae seeds, as well as the ascension crafting materials for Kyrian. I can’t think of anything that might be useful to be BoA for venthyr, as most ember court stuff already has a catch up.

5 Likes

Just to bring up again why this is important:

I just felt forced to change my covenant on 3 of my 4 toons I actively play. Why? The double legendary.

I play Venthyr Warlock, Necrolord Druid, and Night Fae Hunter.

Unfortunately, Venthyr Warlock is STILL a dps loss to use the skill a year later, Necrolord Druid is not anywhere near ideal, and Night Fae Hunter, although good, severely underperforms against Venthyr with a double legendary.

And I figured it was better to change now, than hate myself when I get a double legendary and be weaker than I should be then.

Now my characters are at Renown 46-50. Unlocking the Soulbinds gets them to 46. The first world boss kill gets them to 49. At that point, for some reason, the “extra” catchup stops and you’re back to 1 renown for everything. You get 2-3 for quests from 1-50. After that it’s back to 1.

So now my characters, including my main, are severely nerfed for the next few weeks, because I have no interest in doing callings anymore. They also no longer have access to a portal to Oribos, no longer have a mission table they can use, and no anima conductor bonuses. This feels very bad.

Being able to skip to Renown 80 would be amazing, since I’ve done that grind multiple times on multiple covenants now.

And as Worldpvp said, it’d be neat if a Renown 80 boost would mark the Covenant Campaign as complete for us. The rewards are literally Renown and the covenant armor. If it’s marked as complete, we can buy the covenant armor for anima, so nothing lost.

Side note about Callings, manually going back to my covenant hall to grab them is exhausting. The fact Callings aren’t automatically picked up is silly, it feels like a regression from the Legion/BFA system. Especially since we literally have the quests in our covenant pop up, we just can’t accept them?

Being auto-accepted and being able to turn them in to your covenant representative in Oribos would be one of the most amazing Quality of Life changes you could add to Shadowlands. This isn’t 9.0, this is 9.2, we’re now 2 zones out from the main Shadowlands zones, there’s no reason we should constantly be forced back into our covenant sanctum.

Likewise, why is there not a mission board table in Haven for those who like doing Missions? (Even though I won’t be able to do them anymore mumble) The fact the only mission table is in the covenant hall is weird when the current content actively pushes us out of the covenant hall.

EDIT: If the devs are against a Renown 80 token, then why not allow Renown to drop from Zereth Mortis rares and treasures for those who have hit 80 on another character? As it stands, we get zero renown from doing things in Zereth Mortis.

7 Likes

Frankly, this should have been done sooner. Renown is one of those systems that should’ve been made character wide at the minimum. It’s not engaging content, it adds 0 to the story value(The second covenants could be freely swapped between, the story focus completely changed) and is honestly just an annoyance to the playerbase.

I feel you have to think to yourself, does asking players to grind to 80 renown really do anything for the player? Does the player enjoy the actives to get to 80 renown? Does it make the player feel engaged with the story? The answer to all 3 for me is no. Getting 80 renown from 40 on each character is simply a hassle. Especially this late into the expansion, where usually we get to go wild and just play overpowered characters and try everything. To have this glaring annoyance is un-enjoyable.

The current process of covenant swapping is use item to 40, if I need it immediately grind torghast layer 9s for 4 hours and slowly work my way to 80, even though I’ve done it countless times already. The QoL of making the renown token give 80 instead of 40 would be enjoyed by what I believe is every player. There’s no downside(The story element has been shifted away already), there’s no player engagement sacrifice. It’s only positives.

8 Likes

I agree, especially with how fluid it is to switch covenants now it is especially daunting with the realization that you would need to grind out 40 additional levels in order to catch up. That’s either 40 dungeons, 40 torghast runs, etc.

3 Likes

Yeah 100%. Apparently there is a Night Fae DK build that looks strong with double legendary, but honestly I’ll never try it because I don’t want to grind the renown just to “try” something

6 Likes

I’m genuinely confused as to why nothing except the weekly in Zereth Mortis gives Renown.

If they’re against giving us a Renown 80 catchup item, at the very least they should add Renown to the Rares (first kill each day only), Treasures, and Dailies/World Quests in Zereth Mortis.

Otherwise I’m going to be sitting at 46/49 the entire expansion because I refuse to do callings again, and Torghast is terrible without an account-wide box of many things or any form of catchup tower knowledge.

And the power difference between me as Venthyr without my soulbinds fully unlocked yet (not even counting the conduit empowering traits, I simply dont even have the final traits yet) and my unlocked Night Fae is VERY noticeable.

8 Likes

Just wanted to chime in with the recent addition of renown rewards from the Great Vault: this feels almost a little bit insulting, as most players who actually want renown are players who need to catch up. Giving them the option to choose between renown and potential gear upgrades, the socket item, and other goodies is a bit of a slap in the face.

If we’re not going to get a renown 80 boost, at least the sources of renown should be more reasonable. Specifically on the Great Vault, how about just giving players renown when they loot anything at all from the vault?

11 Likes

Its major slap in the face material but I think im really use to it at this point with being a PvPer

1 Like