Remove realms and merge all servers

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Ever since the introduction of war mode, realms are pointless. Sharding ruined realm identity so we don’t need realms anymore. Removing realms would create more guilds, make chat more active, and make a universal auction house economy. There should only be two types of realms RP and normal.

6 Likes

Incoming lag is incoming

19 Likes

Maybe with some really epic computers in 3030.

4 Likes

It would look something like this and probably be just as fun with all the lag lol.

FYI - The link is a little loud.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t make any difference than what we have now, each zone would have multiple instances to support X number of players, and we would have more freedom to naming our characters if we were to go with our Battletags. So you could have 500 characters named Bob you would only see other player’s battletag as their reference.

5 Likes

What happens to character names? At the moment people can have the same name as long as they are on different realms. If realms are removed who gets to keep the name?

4 Likes

You’d only see more lag and more sharding and this game is not dead enough for that, contrary to popular belief.

Advocate for more Connected Realms. Stop trying to screw people out of names and guild names.

7 Likes

interesting concept but it simply would never work out. still i appreciate the idea behind it my realm’s AH sucks bad.

I should be able to go to Canada or Mexico whenever I want without a passport and without having to go through security imo. I’m never going to get my wish but it’d make me want to save up for vacations a lot more and my criminal record of smoking one puffy puff wouldn’t be a factor.

Why not? Elder Scrolls Online is just one megaserver per platform, it works. It even separates players by region as the Japanese players are on the NA server, but you don’t see them running around unless you specifically group up with them. If each zone supports 200 players, it would create a new instance of that zone for each overflow, like it does right now with sharding, phasing, and CRZ.

2 Likes

it’s simply not the direction Blizzard seems to be going, as I just saw some new players realms on the realm list. with the current warmode lag from sharding I want them to perfect what they got first tbh lol

They should do that, if only for the absolute meltdown over all of the name changes that will be force upon people.

There isn’t enough popcorn in the world…

Except they don’t have to? I explained it in a previous post, go with account Battletag like they do with Diablo 3. You won’t have to change any character names, moreover anyone can now claim any name they want for their characters since it all shows you as your battletag to others.

I think you need to do more thinking on this. That auction house can’t handle some single servers activities - there is no way it will ever handle all servers.

2 Likes

No thanks to this in game. I don’t mind battletag id for the forum but I really don’t care for the use in game like D3 uses it.

I can’t image the problems this would cause on RP servers as well…

2 Likes

I’m gonna guess this is just a “Sunday Thread”, and you don’t actually think that.

1 Like

My server is full as it is in the new zones.

1 Like

Indeed. And I presume its server is set in the US because, being Australian, I suffer from high latency whenever I play it, as used to happen in WoW prior to the introduction of the Oceanic server.

2 Likes

And how would that work out for us down here in Australia/New Zealand etc?

It has very little to do with realm identity and a great deal to do with server location. The day they do anything like that would be the day I stopped playing because I have zero desire to return to permanent 250ms+ world latency.

Why do you think it would push you back into the US server? You would have your own Oceanic Server, US Server, EU Server, KR Server, CH Server, etc.

scratches head Its not just names yknow, its about datacenteres and where they are located. So to my knowledge there are 2 US datacentres, one in LA and one in Chicago. Plus we have one in Sydney. I suspect this combination you are talking about would be a tad more complex to organise than you realise. You could not combine the Oceanic and US servers, so you would still be left with a separation there. Or maybe Im just not understanding you.