Remove Layering NOW

Blockquote
Literally everyone is using layering to abuse it at this point. Literally EVERYONE.
Blockquote

Does your own statement apply to you as well? If so, speak for just yourself? For myself, as well as; everyone else I know playing the game, NONE of us are abusing layering. We wanted Classic and are playing it as such. I get your point dude, but broad statements such as that weaken your argument.

Ignoring everything else on this post, I just wanted to say that @Obrahma is an amazing name.

I agree remove layering

1 Like

Not sure where it’s not needed, me and at least a hundred players were fighting for gnoll arm bands in groups earlier on Atiesh. Can’t even log in to Grobb…

Lol imagine the carnage if they removed layering.

That’s why they didn’t do that. They said multiple times that the hard cap is independent. They refused to keep adding infinite layers to allow more people onto the server because they are hardcapped for the future when you will only have one layer. They didn’t hardcap them at 50k this week and plan to downgrade them to 15k next week. The hardcap that is on the server now with 10 layers is the same one that will exist with a single layer. Queues will not go up with the removal of layering even if nobody quits.

layers are servers, each layer handles 5k players, and connect to the same database. no server handles 50k players. that’s how they can add and remove as many layers as they need and cut costs compared to having a 50k super server that only needs to hold 5k when layers are removed

No. It would be bad.

They did not announce the exact number per layer nor will they tell us the exact hard cap number of players. What they did say is that the hardcap today is the same hardcap that will exist when layers are removed which is why they cannot keep adding new layers. This is also why the queues have been remarkably similar since launch day, only going down when they increased capacity of the hardcap that one time.

So we’re all going to on mega servers? Because last I watched one of their dev talks they said they want to have a “healthy” population slightly higher the classic which would mean around 5k or so. Or did they say we’re getting 5 digit mega servers?

We do not know what the exact numbers are. They will not tell us. But however many people are on your server today including all its layers is how many people can be on the server at once with layers removed. They did increase that capacity once but we don’t know what it was before that increase so it’s meaningless. They could remove all layers tomorrow and the queues would not go up. They have the queues set to a hardcap based on having one layer.

That is completely incorrect. The current cap on servers is not what it was in vanilla because layers exist, which are replicas of the two continents. Remove the layering, and we’re back at the “regular” server cap.

the exact numbers are not important, it’s the concept behind them.

there is no hard cap to number of layers, there’s the soft cap of “vanilla-sized” player per layer

1 Like

I think you responded to the wrong person. I didn’t mention anything about how it was at Vanilla launch. We all know that the servers have at least 5x as many people as vanilla launch.

All I was talking about was the layer system and how it doesn’t affect the queues we have today. Blizzard has a seperate hardcap that they won’t let anymore people over onto the server because they know they have to remove the layers soon. They said this is why they couldn’t just add more layers to fix the problem.

The economy on a large population server is pretty hard to ‘destroy’. WoD didn’t destroy the economy in retail and it created millions of gold out of thin air.

Your solution would create more problems than it would solve.

Oops, you’re right, that was to the wrong person. You’re right in that they’re not going to add more layers, because that’s going to totally bite them in the butt when the time comes to remove them if we don’t have the player drop off.

I’m stuck in a login queue, so no.

1 Like

Yes, while we are at it, make the game FFA so we can all battle each other for control over a single mob we get to kill every 20 minutes because spawn rates aren’t fast enough. :slight_smile:

With the already increased server caps, phase 2 will be interesting.

1 Like

I don’t know what you are getting at. Blizzard has said repeatedly they will NOT continue to add new layers. That’s why servers like Herod have the same queue since launch day minus the trickle for new servers and the one day they increased the HARD CAP LIMIT. They said that the hard cap limit was what affected how many people could get on the server and that limit is based on having only one layer.

The number of layers is based on how crowded the zones are and are there to alleviate the overcrowding. They made the continent wide but it’s meaningless only really so you keep seeing the same people as you level for the first few weeks. However, they can never add more layers than the hardcap can support because eventually it has to go down to a single layer. If they removed all the layers tomorrow, based on Blizzard’s comments, the queues would not go up at all. We would all just be one layer. Because of this, they did not create big 100k super servers. They only added as many layers as they could handle after removing them.

They also said they could easily add infinite layers to these crowded servers and remove the queue instantly but they wouldn’t be able to merge it down to a single server. Further proving that it’s being handled the way I said it is.