Remove combo points for rogues

Clickbait title. Personally I’d like to have a rogue spec that doesn’t use combo points. I enjoy the rogue fantasy but combo points just aren’t very fun to me and I don’t feel like having all 3 specs use the same system is very fun, and it kind of makes the specs all feel a bit too similar to each other. In a future rework I’d love to see some experimentation and maybe have one of the specs just use energy, similar to how hunters just use focus.
What do you guys think?

1 Like

Go play hunter.

7 Likes

A very well thought out response. Thank you for your feedback.

2 Likes

No

10 Likes

Another valuable knee-jerk reaction. Thank you for your input.

2 Likes

My pleasure! My answer perfectly captures what I think of the quality and desirability of your suggestion, but let me know if you have any questions, Alphamael :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Your post boils down to “change the class fundamentals” and you think youre gonna get legitimate discussion? Its literally not worth talking about. Go do something else.

4 Likes

I don’t think asking for a rogue spec that doesn’t use combo points is any different than asking for a melee hunter spec. But I’m sure it’s just like you said, being ranged is probably just a part of the hunter class fundamentals :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Go away with that.

Play another class.

7 Likes

Remove totems from shaman, putting them down to empower party members is boring.

4 Likes

I think your suggestion is interesting and it could be nice if well implemented. The people that answered before are really narrow minded and useless. Imagining ways to reinvent specs is cool. The combo point system is good, but I don’t see why all the 3 rogue specs necessarily need to use it, and why someone wanting to play a rogue would necessarily need to play this gameplay.

But the real question is, would the alternative be better? Ressource systems for classes in wow are one of the most difficult area for finding ways to innovate. This is the reason why a lot of classes feels similar and your hear people complain about the fact that most classes are builder spenders.

2 Likes

These are my thoughts exactly in a well articulated post. There’s no way to tell if removing combo points for one of the specs would feel better or not, but I think it’s something worth experimenting with. There’s nothing wrong with combo points, but would be nice to have a different playstyle among the 3 specs.

This is gold coming from the DH.

3 Likes

Without combo points, I think the spec would have to be based on short CD’s. Kind of like how paladins were back before Holy Power. There has to be some mechanic in place that regulates the flow of damage.

It would be worth experimenting with. I could see Subtlety being the choice for this. Basically a hit-and-run spec. You pounce your target, unload a few CD’s, restealth until CD’s are ready. Repeat.

It would be like DH. DH fury is gained mostly passively.

They are supposed to be similar , it’s the same class

3 Likes

DH fury is only gained passively if Demon Blades is the meta spec. Currently it isn’t, and requires more APM than most other classes, meaning it’s also spending those GCD’s on resource generation.

I think the pure dps classes aside from maybe hunters play too similar across all their specs. However, I think rogues are the biggest offender of feeling too same-y. We don’t need 4 different combo point/energy using classes in the game.

DH has fury being refunded from chaos stike. A talent that allows fury to be refunded from eye beam. A talent that allows fury to be gained from souls. It has so many ways of obtaining fury outside of pressing the builder that yes, its fury generation for the most part is passive. If you take away combo points from rogues they would play the same minus the cool signature abilites like eye beam and fel rush.

1 Like

I could see an argument to be made for Demonic Appetite being passive, although it hasn’t been played since BFA and is still something you need to talent into. I’m not sure I’d consider a chaos strike refund a passive fury generator, especially since you’re pressing the button to do the action. Same thing with Eye Beam and Blind Fury. Eye Beam is a builder, and you press the button to build fury. But I digress, If they did remove combo points from a rogue spec, they would obviously have to make some changes around it. I’d imagine it would be more cooldown based, similar to a warrior but with energy instead of rage.

So the point remains. If someone doesnt want a CP system they just shouldnt play rogue.

3 Likes