Remove combo points for rogues

That’s the entire point of the post. I want to play a rogue without using CP. I want to play a nimble stealthy fighter, but I don’t enjoy the CP system. So why not have that option for people?

You do have that option. Its called DH. A bit less stealthy but a lot more nimble.

1 Like

Combo points have been a basic fundamental builder and spender for rogues since the beginning, no point in removing them/no one wants them removed.

2 Likes

Its so fundamental in fact that WW monk was given the same system as well. But its different with them because of how their rotation works.

Rogue has been my main since 2010. Combo points are one of the main reasons I like the rogue, and on all three specs. I think all three rogue specs today all have different flavors. If you are looking for a different flavor - what flavor are you looking for in a rogue spec? Outlaw is pretty incredible to its own - as it separates the typically vanish happy subtlety or poison/venom focused assassination. Combat was amazing, but I truly enjoyed the re-design that outlaw/combat currently is. Basically you’re a scoundrel, a bandit, a tavern brawler. I enjoy the fantasy aspect of it. I understand that certain classes can get stale at times, but something like combo points are something most of us rogue players enjoy having. We have more control of the playing field in my opinion.

1 Like

Just because something has been around a long time doesn’t mean it needs to stay that way. There are plenty of specs in the game that have gotten a new resource and playstyle that’s different from the one they started with in Vanilla WoW. I don’t think the game needs 4 specs that use an energy point/combo point hybrid system and unless Blizzard adds a NEW class to the game, it makes sense that one of the rogue specs should be changed.

I agree with you Entreríí, they did a good job making separating the fantasy of each spec. However I do feel like they all play the same. And it makes sense that they do with the current build/spend system, which is what I’m advocating to change.

If you haven’t noticed a lot of specs in the game use the build/spend system of combo points in some way. (Rogue, feral, ret, ww, hell you could even say specs like arcane, destro and dks use a similar system) why should they change this fundamental of the game bc very very few ppl don’t like it

That’s exactly the point. Why does the game have so many of those specs you listed, but none with just a simple energy bar as their only resource? So far the only reasons I’m seeing to not change anything is because “it’s always been like that”. How do you know it wouldn’t feel better to play?
Off the top of my head, let’s re-imagine Outlaw for a second and pretend it doesn’t use combo points. Maybe rolling bones always gives you 2 or 3 buffs. Add a cooldown to swap what you rolled for the other 2 or 3 if you think it would be better for your situation. You can alter your rotation based on what you rolled. Like if you were to roll Buff A and Buff B, you would use Skills A and B. If you were to roll Buff Y and Buff Z, you would use skill Y and skill Z. Have Skill A buff Skill Z, and maybe that is really good for single target dps. Give them a cooldown that gives them all 5 rolled bones.

I made all of this up as I’m writing it. Change is not hard.

Exactly my toughts.
Alphamael if you don’t like CP, tell us what system would you want to see instead. It’s easy to say “I don’t want X”. Let’s be constructive.

Now we’re talking. My problem (and not only mine) with Outlaw is RNG of Roll The Bones tbh. I would rather depend on my skill and predictible abilities than some wild randomness. Instead I would see some fighting enhancements unique to the weapon you use. For example armor reduction using daggers, chance to extra stun using maces, chance to bleed dmg using axes etc.

I would see some tweaks to every Rogue spec here and there, but I think removing CP entirely would be taking a huge and unique playstyle of the class. I think the others tried to tell you exactly the same, maybe sometimes in less polite way. The same way you would want to see in WoW (in WoW!) druids without shapeshifting, paladin without wings, priest without fear etc. Or a rogue without an energy bar. The fact druid feral cat form or monks use CP and energy or how many years something works didn’t change the fact that the mechanic is unique - and still fun imo! - for a rogue upon which you can still build fresh ideas.

2 Likes