Remote Play Legality (steam link)

I just wanted to know Blizzards official stance on Steam Link.

To my understanding, remote gameplay is against eula. If I’m not mistaken, it bypasses Warden by allowing a player to run other software on their phone/tablet that isn’t detectable.

There are articles about how to do it, and players are doing it, so I’d like a response from a GM on Blizzards stance, if possible.

Thank you.

You kinda answered that yourself.

Still doesn’t make it fine by Blizzard. You can always report your suspicions to Blizzard and let them handle it.

One thing, there are no GMs on these forums, just us players and a few SFAs. Blizzard is not gonna give you a DEFINITE answer, they just recommend you don’t do it.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, there are no GMs on the forums. That said, you can read the section in the EULA that comments on cloud streaming:

End User Licensing Agreement

Just search for the term “cloud” and you’ll see it. That’s Blizzard’s official stance.

Edited to condense the link.

7 Likes

Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Just to quote the relevant bit:

License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:

Cloud Computing: Use the Platform, including a Game, in connection with any unauthorized third-party “cloud computing” services, “cloud gaming” services, or any software or service designed to enable the unauthorized streaming or transmission of Game content from a third-party server to any device.

2 Likes

Is it possible to report someone with Screenshots after they have admitted to using steam link to afk in BGs?

To clarify - remote gameplay is NOT against the eula. CLOUD gaming is against the eula.

While I’m not well versed in what steam link is doing - it is allowing you to run a game on your own computer, and then remotely access it from your own phone or tv along with a controller? If that explanation is correct, then this is allowed within the eula.

The only thing that is not allowed is if you are using third party hardware to run the game.

2 Likes

Steam link streams the image from pc to your phone, and returns inputs from phone to pc.

So long as the pc is your own personal pc, not a third party owned pc, then that is not against the eula.

1 Like

A while back, around when Classic launched, people were using similar (if not the same) software to queue up remotely to log into the game. At that time, I believe it might have been Vrak (he can correct me if I’m wrong) who suggested against using such software as it may still violate the essence of the cloud computing rule.

Personally, if someone is AFKing in a BG, then they should just be reported as such in-game by the others in the BG. That’s really all that needs to be done.

If you feel that someone may be using software to violate the rules, then a right-click and report for cheating is best.

4 Likes

It was. Based on what I understand of those rules I would still highly recommend against such behavior.

8 Likes

You can send an email with the attachments to hacks@blizzard.com

Following up on that advice I should note that our hacks team, nor any of our staff, will be able to take action based solely on screenshots or videos, etc… but we can use them to help aid any associated investigations.

5 Likes

Yall are the best!

Thank you

3 Likes

Unfortunately, those that are disagreeing with you don’t understand “cloud computing” or “cloud gaming.” The relevant bit is “the unauthorized streaming or transmission of Game content from a third-party server.” Blizzard and the gamer are first and second parties. Streaming from your PC to your mobile device does not include a third party server.

2 Likes

Not sure what the 11-month necro was for considering it was already covered almost a year ago.

Despite how streaming your game from your computer to another device works, it’s still recommended against. That hasn’t changed since this thread was originally active.

And while it may not take a third-party server to play remotely, it absolutely takes a third-party software which could violate the EULA.

10 Likes