Region-Wide AH in 9.2.7

As we all have read by now, this is coming soon to the game. There are pros to this, but I think the cons outweigh them. While the average player will see Reagents go down in price, gold farmers (specifically solo farmers) will be DoA. Any stackable item is going to be affected, and the undercut/cancel mafia will be overwhelming to say the least. I wish if they were going to do this, do it with a few realms in a batch versus the entire region. What do you all think, good or bad?

8 Likes

I think I’m going to watch all of the crafted armor and transmogs skyrocket on my little realm, because no one will be making money off of mats and consumables.

9 Likes

As someone who mainly buys consumables, rather than sells them, I’m for it. It’s not fair that people on big realms get to benefit from all the bots and people on small realms have to pay crazy prices.

Then again, I charge crazy prices on small realms so maybe don’t listen to me :rofl:

10 Likes

There is no downside unless your gold making method was only abusing low pop AH lol.
Very unlikely that leggos will go up if reagents will go down in the long run but i mean, at this point who cares SL is prolly gonna be over in 4 months lol.

6 Likes

It’s largely neutral for me as I am not much of a seller, or buyer… but I will agree that sectioning a group of servers together (the way it used to be for LFD and such) would have been better.

2 Likes

this will help nothing we will get that group of players and buy all the consumables and price hike them up. from a few hundred gold to 1-2k gold

commodity listings (gems, herbs, flasks, consumables, etc.).
so we will see a price increase lets knock on wood and hope nothing happens

2 Likes

It’s a good change. I think it could even go further though, and apply to all gear and stuff too. I’d like to be able to pick up some rare weapon models where there is never any competition on the market currently and the price never fluctuates.

1 Like

My characters on that low pop realm should be able to sell stuff again. Vending out everything was getting old.

1 Like

Yesterday I put a thread up in the PTR forums (where PTR feedback is supposedly read) and encourage posting your feedback there as well:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/region-wide-commodities-is-good-for-bots-and-bad-for-legit-players/1272155/

3 Likes

@Humanbeak Your post on the PTR forum hits the nail on the head. All it will take is a few people on some random realm to tank the price of an item, and all are screwed.

1 Like

I made a good chunk of money farming ZM mats and essentia the first 3 weeks of flying. Nothing insane, but it was good money to carry me and an alt or two through leggos and the rest of this season.

It would have been a huge headache for me to sell goods in an environment with 10x the amount of people posting goods and constantly undercutting each other. I feel like if my items don’t sell within an hour it’s almost better to drop the post and relist. I don’t have long boi, which would have required a bank alt (not a huge deal because stack sizes were fine this expansion).

I’m worried this is going to heavily impact gathering professions going into DF. I’ve always really enjoyed 2x gathering but it may be better to just shift to finished goods now I dunno.

I’m not selling much of anything at end of SL though.

1 Like

A youtuber who likes to exploit games for youtube content did this on FFXIV with a few items as a “challenge” and help of a friend for some knowledge…lol people don’t like him and glad he left after he finished the challenge for video :joy: needless to say one realm that was affected by his actions were mine. He went from 0 to 8.4million gil in a few days…was scary lol.

Edit: It was 8.4 not 1m.

It’s going to be hilarious tbh. This might be what gets Blizzard to start banning addons once they see just how rampant the automated cancel scanning is.

1 Like

On the surface it looks good but I think it will cause chaos. Some smaller servers will benefit. On medium servers, it will be a detriment to the overall economy. As I said in another post on this topic, I will adjust. Really only sold components and trade goods with the release of a new patch. I’ll probably not collect as much and just make a lot of my own stuff.

I wonder if some millionaire goblins could buy out entire markets and either flip or vendor all of the mats. It would be chaos

They’d just break TSM, not addons entirely.

1 Like

Then they get undercut by people on 200 different realms.

1 Like

I wonder how much the AH will slow down or bug out on transactions with the connections across servers

2 Likes

A region wide AH is actually so much beneficial

Smaller population servers will no longer suffer under a AH goblin

Anyone disagreeing like humanbeak, is finally starting to realize their AH days are numbered since they are most likely guilty for ruining smaller servers AH economy

2 Likes

I’ll miss out on those rare finds where someone posts a mat based on their vendor price because no others are up, and I get to grab it up quick as basically a “freebie.” Yet that doesn’t happen that often, so no big loss.

But overall, in the longer run, things should be a bit more stable and those smaller realms will really benefit. And on medium pop realms, you won’t have some goblin go in, buy up all of a mat, and relist at an outrageous price.

I’ll miss those market cornering “geniuses” a bit, since when I see that, I often have some of that mat stockpiled and I can make a killing off them. Then when they finally give up, I restock back at normal prices.

For the most part, I think the more active mats will change very little, as they already have a lot of competition on most servers.

My main worry would be performance, as with some TSM addons and al the cancel/relisting behavior is going to have stuff going in and out so fast, and so so often regionwide. For example, between specifying an amount and clicking BUY, will the price change, and if so, by how much? What if you have high latency, how is that going to impact the price you see when you decide to buy vs. what it is when you click BUY? Or are they going to limit price changes somehow, like with the token and Blizzard makes up any small changes? Does opening up a purchase window lock that mat from certain sellers in on the AH so it can’t be canceled between when the person clicks Buy and then confirms the purchase?

I think Blizzard is going to have some serious issues to contend with due to those addons and those player behaviors, and they’ll have to do something to limit it, like limiting the number of cancelled listings per minute or per hour or something. I mean, with automated addon postings and cancellations, this could turn into some sort of a bizarre form of high frequency trading. Not to mention server performance issues.

Even without addons, stuff will be listed and bought many times a second regionwide, that the price could literally be in a constant state of flux. I mean, I occasionally get the message when I go to buy something that the item was not found which typically happens with individual items, not commodities, but that could happen with commodities now too, I suppose.

It will definitely be an interesting experiment, and I’m not sure simply doing testing on the PTR would really reveal all the problems and performance issues just because the scale would be so limited with only thousands of players vs. going live regionwide with 100,000s or maybe even millions, such as at an expansion’s launch.

/moo :cow:

1 Like