Regarding Ectoplasmic Distiller

agreed they could of just reduced the amount by changing the spell level from 50 to like 10 or something, not game breaking anymore but still a niche thing you could use which is the pure spirit of vanilla.

1 Like

Yeah some explanation would be nice, might be the right decision to fix it but I do believe that goes against what theyā€™ve been doing (Iā€™m not even a no changes guy). Odd to pick and choose like with diamond flask snapshotting etc.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how anyone could view the behavior in this video as anything other than completely game breaking.

Over the course of about 3 minutes hes generated 70,000 threat on a target without ever hitting it, and thatā€™s just from 5 buff targets and without pre-stacking them.

1 Like

I find no issue with the footage. There are many tools in classic wow that pump rediculous numbers. Mages soloing level 60 instances is more gamebreaking to me than an item making threat easier to generate. Is there any reason why threat has to be so hard in classic, when it was almost trivial in vanilla?

3 Likes

I donā€™t think even if it completely trivializes threat (which I disagree with your numbers and practical usage), itā€™s game breaking to me, maybe it would ruin how some tanks like to play but it would also legitimize bear tanks and change the meta in a different way

1 Like

It would change to meta to ā€˜pre-stack distillers and use them for every single fightā€™.
There would be no other comparable meta.

Na you wouldnā€™t wait around 1-2 minutes to pull a boss just to make sure threat is good, especially not in any speedrun meta and for any parse meta you still wanna run up to most bosses so you canā€™t pre drop anyways

1 Like

it was trivial in vanilla because all ā€œgood tanksā€ had this item and used it where required.

1 Like

Also because most DPS in vanilla had no idea what they were doing, and world buffs were looked down upon. Youā€™d be looking at 400-500DPS at ā€˜greatā€™.

Correct. Which is why deep prot maxes out at around 650-700 TPS without world buffs. More than enough room for people to deal 800 DPS, which would have broken peopleā€™s minds back in the day.

Right now deep prot isnā€™t the faintest bit viable on horde, and only barely viable on alliance. Would have been nice to give people more options in how to tank. Guess weā€™re back to doing crazy amounts of buffs to keep ourselves alive to let DPS ignore meters.

This item could have been even more gamebreaking than people thought - based on what I saw in some tests, it also applies to pets, guardians, and probably even totems. Which means that if everybody in the raid prepops a Barov Peasant Caller, all of the peasants get the buff. If all 40 people and their 120 peasants stack up, thatā€™s 160 targets that generate 50 threat per second. So, that threat spikes to ~8000 per second until the peasants despawn - even higher if you spawn totems and other pets. Over 8000 threat per second trivializes any fight where you will only need a single MT, which is the majority of bossfights in a speedclear/parse setting. It could have even resulted in some instances of Hunters/Rogues maintanking Patchwerk by having 100% Avoidance and letting this item generate all the threat theyā€™d need. At 8000 threat per second, you could undeniably AFK and wait for DPS to finish up the boss in virtually all situations.

Additionally, players could forever lock themselves out of this item by doing the Dungeon Set 2 questline. If it is truly up to or even over 8000 threat per second broken, I could honestly see maintanks getting benched if they locked themselves out of this item, just because they wanted to do the quest chain for fun (at least, if completing the quest does remove it from your bags, which Iā€™ve heard it does). In my experience, Blizzard would never ever stand for something like that.

It is absolutely pick-and-choosy and Iā€™m 100% certain the holy Reference Client shows that this is ā€œsupposed to beā€ possible, but thatā€™s Classic for you. Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have Ecto-spec tanks with the majority of their output coming from how well their raid comp can stack and how many summonables they can generate, Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have Fire Rogues and Warriors with Blazefury Medallion 100% spellpower scaling, and Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have Runeblade wielders having an undispellable and infinite duration Diamond Flask buff.

its every 1.5 seconds not every second, so thats 5333 tps with barov trinkets which will all die in one aoe, if you have 3 down its 16000 tps whilst barov trinkets are going.

this doesnā€™t change the fact that people used it during progression in vanilla and many guilds would only take tanks if they had it back then.

With all of the hit rating and then t3 warriors still needed to use this on some specific fights to hold aggro.

Mathematically it was required for some bosses in naxx at least on first kills.

Still thatā€™s not gamebreaking, you obviously donā€™t need 8000tps per second and thatā€™s a big IF. Most bosses especially in AQ and Naxx you canā€™t stack the raid and summon pets to stay in one place etc. Practically this item would have been used to supplement their tanks tps, maybe actually let them use a shield occasionally. The rogue/hunter tank argument is based on a cooldown that doesnā€™t last an entirety of a fight or protect anyone from magic damage so really not even a major deal at all. Every good maintank can already easily hold threat, especially on alliance. I just donā€™t think gamebreaking is the right word when all it does is possibly change a little bit of the tanking meta.

1 Like

agreed, its not like its ā€œfreeā€ and it costs to actually use in both raid positioning resulting in possible wipes and rocket fuel.

why remove gimmicky shenanigans when thats what made vanilla fun.

I was actually looking forward to tanking in 8/8 t2 and a shield with 0% hitā€¦ you know actually gear like a tank not a dps warrior.

1 Like

Threat being a meaningful mechanic is what made vanilla fun.
Building full mit and not losing aggro ruins any kind of challenge.

Then why does anyone play alliance xD

1 Like

you still need to taunt swap, no amount of threat gen will change that.

we already lost Demo shout, this was our last resort for aoe tanking outside of building a set directly designed around aoe threat, I dono about you but iā€™ve already ran out of bag slots even with the extra 4 from the auth

Then just go stand on the off tanks distiller lmao.

I know that Ectoplasmic Distiller is very powerful and would hugely boost tank threat in raids but why not change more now that we have opened Pandoraā€™s box of changes.
World buffs - no effect in instanced content
MCP - reduced effect over level 55
Bloodthirst - requires beserker/battle stance
Battle Shout - no threat generated
Diamon Flask - no snapshot or spell scaling
Dungeon AoE - fix mob pathing or exp boosting
WCB - removed from alliance when mindcontrol ends
etc. etc. etc.

3 Likes

because making changes to classic thats directly different than vanilla is just crazy, you might as well just play retail.