Regarding Ectoplasmic Distiller

With the release of phase 5 a new quest item was put into the game. This has been a known item to some (the ectoplasmic distiller) to greatly increase threat generation and it worked as it did back in original world of Warcraft. Several people tested it and shared their findings and confirmed it worked, like it did in original wow. Apparently the item has very recently been changed to no longer provide the threat. Would appreciate some confirmation that a change did take place and perhaps an explanation for the reasoning behind it. This was partially a reason why at least one top horde guild I know of had chosen to go horde (where threat is generally a bigger issue) and with a change that goes against with how it worked in original vanilla wow seems like going against how most of the decisions have been made so far. Thanks.

12 Likes

When something was used back then for progression guilds and is 100% vanilla 1:1 accurate and gets stealthily deleted its very concerning for the direction of Classic WoW.

9 Likes

As with most bugs in Classic… if it is well known (Diamond Flask, MCP, World Buff Stacking) it goes unchanged and is considered part of the Vanilla experience. If it is a lesser known interaction it gets deleted and called an exploit.

3 Likes

I want to see them defend this decision.

The intended playstyle in vanilla is not what we’re currently playing. A lot of what we are doing in raids is against the original spirit of the game. Is this item being used the way the original devs intended? Probably not. Is diamond flask? Mage AOE dungeon grinding? Mage mob path abusing? Manual crowd pummler? Fury Prot tanking? World buff meta? Warchief’s Blessing on alliance? Probably not.

So why take away an item, which was used in vanilla to increase threat, and allows people to play tanks the way they were probably intended to be played in vanilla? Why? Please explain this Blizzard.

7 Likes

pretty sure a 3 year old reddit post about a 14 year old game version is “well known” but w/e

2 Likes

A reddit post with double digit upvotes is not well known.

However I honestly believe if we had Youtube guides, reddit posts on the Classic subreddit and just widespread awareness before this item arrived Blizzard would not of changed it.

Anyone comparing this distiller exploit/bug to diamond flask or similar should be completely ignored.

This random bugged quest item would have completely removed the concept of threat from the game, on some fights a tank could have stacked a couple of these things pre-pull and literally have gone AFK while holding aggro vs 1K+ dps. It was pants on head stupid game breaking. Every fight, even trash, ‘stack on the distiller guise!!’.

I can’t believe how low IQ some you #nochanges fools are.

1 Like

No you still would need to tank and press buttons, it’s not that crazy of an item even if you estimate it at 1000tps in the most ideal situation (which most bosses aren’t)

One item that provides 5 minutes of passive, infinite range 1000TPS with absolutely no input isn’t ‘that crazy’?

Thanks for confirming this is a troll thread, at least.

First it’s not infinite, second it’s not ranged

Your raid stands on the distiller and no matter where your tank is, he is awarded the threat.

Yeah that’s not what ranged means

their “fix” introduced another “bug” thats even more game breaking, new meta for dispelling, it stacks from each seperate player that drops it now unlike before, an extra buff slot.

this means dropping 32 at once from 32 seperate players can wipe any enemy/friendly buff in existance every 1.5s.

drop 30 of them at the gates of AQ and no one can enter with world buffs.

put it back how it should be blizz.

3 Likes

With this comment you just proved that you don’t understand how this item works, you should investigate how it worked before the change before trying to define why it was “crazy”.

2 Likes

What on earth are you talking about? The tank will be awarded threat on targets that could be 1000y away, as long as they’re in combat with the raid. How is that NOT ranged threat?

It absolutely should have been fixed, yes. But the logic they use to change this but leave other build and item breaking bugs in “as intended” is very inconsistent.

Can you please explain it in detail then?

it despawns if you move 50yd away from it… no way you could get threat from 1000yd away.

1 Like

Yeah I think what this item would do to the meta is definitely up for debate and perhaps I’d even lean to it being less fun with it in the game, but it was in the game and people made decisions based on that. By changing it, it essentially is a nerf to horde in my opinion.

1 Like

No, the MOBS being 1000y away, as long as they’re in combat with your group any kind of buffs/heals will award threat to the player casting them, in this case, the distiller would have passively awarded threat to the tank as long as the raid group is standing 15y within this distiller.
How many fights hard require your raid to move around, in a way that you couldn’t dedicate at least 15-20 people to stand on this thing? It’s about 50 threat per tick per person hit, split among all targets you’re in combat with.