Regarding addons on classic

I joined a guild that stated I needed certain addons in vanilla for raiding. It seemed too complex and unnecessary so I just lied and said I got them. I also was a key-board turner. I had to re-learn how to game when the arena came out and I realized how truly bad I was and how great addons are.

1 Like

I love when people who call for addon bans, just constantly demonstrate how little they actually know about addons in vanilla.

people didnt use timers in vanilla, see look at this video that clearly shows addon timers being used…

can’t have retail addon UI cause its too powerful, lets go back to the days where you could have smart decision making addons that could perform your entire rotation exactly perfectly by setting it up on one button, or the addons that would target the player for you and cast the most efficient heal based on how much health they are missing, or the addon that would give you a button that would decurse the raid in priority order without you having to do anything but hit one button.

2 Likes

you are talking about healbot, anyone using that back there were a average healer would never be able to handle undergear end content, but yes i understand you point, but you do know those “addons” were macro based right? they were never autonomous or anything like that, and it maybe hard for you to grasp that another human being have knowledge of a past addons, so lets just assume that anyone that is not you is a retard right? this is great discussion apart from some “genius”.

let me clarify
ok addons:

• ui skins
  • sct (scrolling combat text)
  • cooldown counters
  • own debuff durations
  • chat formats

NOT OK addons

• boss timers

I’m just happy we have Vanilla coming back. I don’t mind addons at all!

1 Like

no dbm and bigwigs is just the cherry on top…most people complaining are addicted and can’t do anything without addons, its fine

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t look in this thread.

It sounds like it’s not addons you’re taking an issue with, it’s the boss/encounter design itself. You don’t want boss abilities to happen on a predictable schedule which can be tracked via timers in an addon.

From other posters in the thread, it sounds like vanilla DBM did have timers for boss ability cooldowns, and for any abilities that did happen on a set schedule.

Not OK addons Boss timers…

posted a video from vanilla with boss timers…

Boss timers ruin vanilla experience…

I call you out because you don’t understand reality.

Boss timers wont look like the do in retail because they have a fraction of the information to track, but they have existed since the beginning and will be in classic, your ignorance doesn’t change that.

1 Like

the code was not available to track those stats and if they are using retail code, mark my words they are sinking classic before start…people that never played already think that classic is easy, and if they have a addon telling them where to go and what to do its going to simplify a fight that is already simplified because they didn’t have those addons in mind when designed

It doesn’t take code from Blizzard’s end to track the timing of an ability that happens on a set schedule. If the other posts here are correct, DBM didn’t have many exact timers in vanilla not because of limitations on the API or available information, but because many boss abilities didn’t happen on an exact schedule in the first place. So it’s technically not a matter of addon capability, it’s a matter of encounter design.

yes back then Ian was not on blizzard so we were happy that’s a fact… but not all mechanics were random, they had variations but still on timers, lets say ever 15 sec chrommagus breath but the colors were random, class call on nef was random, but every 10 sec or something, rag slam, you understand…i only have a problem with addons that facilitate encounters, and reduce skill cap, back them i did the fights with 30 fps and 400ms+

Right, but didn’t vanilla DBM actually have timers for the “every 15 seconds” stuff and so on?

I’m guessing the major difference between vanilla and today is the % of the playerbase that has DBM installed, not that DBM’s basic functions are much different.

not really, let me try to explain what the addons did it, if you go to onyxia right now you will have no timers for the breath, wing debuff or fear, but on p2 during flight and she is about the do a deep breath it will show on the chat “Onyxia takes a deep breath” so the addon take that message and give a warning in the middle of your screen saying “DEEP BREATH INCOMING” so its easier to see, when your killing welps or healing most people don’t read the chat in normal circumstances imagine on that situation, so that is what happened, and on LATER exp more addons poped up, weakauras didnt exist before wotlk

14 years, BWL was 2005:O)

Some people just can’t play the game without add-ons playing the game for them.

1 Like

Good things addons don’t do that, bot programs do :O)

1 Like

I don’t understand why “Onyxia breathes every X seconds” would be any harder to set up a timer for back then than it is today, did addon writers just not think of doing it until later?

Anyway I don’t see what weak auras has to do with it, nobody uses weak auras to create boss timers, they use it for the stuff you said you’re ok with (tracking debuffs, changing UI appearance etc).

do not install them

there, problem solved

3 Likes

Its a social and competitive game. Few will knowingly gimp themselves.