Refugees in Stormwind - A possible future crisis?

Stormwind is a very cosmopolity city, having a district reserved just for immigrants (dwarves and some gnomes). But lately, it has become a shelter for a lot of refugees of war .

First, were the Lordaeron’s refugees from the Third War. Later on, moving to the Fourth War, we get gilneans, void elves and night elves. I know a lot of people died in the wars, but is there enough houses for everyone in there?

The game does portray a lot of homeless refugees in the streets, but we never get to see the stormwindian folk’s perspective on the subject. We know some night elves might be frustated due to Anduins lack of responde on the War of Thorns and the armisticy with the Horde, but what are the humans thinking about all of this crisis?

The recipe for tensions is right there.

Economy might be in a bad state, due to war efforts and the lack of people tending the farms. Stormwind is crowded with people that needs to eat and some of them doesn’t even have a house.

Do you think this topic might be explored in the future? If so, how do you picture it?

7 Likes

Probably not honestly, they think that it’s a good idea to just stick all Alliance races into Stormwind where they can bow down to High Emperor Anduin. It would be something interesting though.

1 Like

As a somewhat off-topic tangent:

Well, this seems to solve itself! Send the night elf refugees with some druids to go run those farms! Westfall will be nothing but giant pumpkins in no time!

cuts to scene of panicked Defias running away as a pumpkin swells in the background like a tidal wave in a disaster movie

And if this were to e done in a less comedic fashion, it could cause an interesting new rift - resentment over a sudden influx of strangers, with their own culture and even inverse day/night activity, taking over the land, possibly by distant government fiat. What would Billy Joe the Westfall farmer think about Anduin commanding his neighbor off to die on a distant shore and them immediately confiscate his land to give to this weird, 8-ft tall fanged stranger who keeps to himself and gets up to who-knows what in the dead of night? And who keeps referring to the Light as Elune? And brought a gaggle of not-even-related fellow strangers with him, who also get up to strange shenanigans during the night and now seem to be build shady tree-walls around ol’ dead Jim Bob’s farm like they don’t want to be part of the neighborhood?

Really though, I expect nothing to come of this. Or maybe just a few hippie or burning jokes. Anything more would require some thought and inspiration, and I’m too bitter to hope for that anymore.

13 Likes

If anything a good chunk of Stormwind citizens still remember they were refugees just a generation ago and are quite understanding of the situations. Others are fast friends with the non humans races(as shown by one of the comments of allowing a night elf to stay at their homes). Lastly there is the practical aspect of making sure they have close relationships with other nations so if they end up being refugees they willl be treated fairly well in turn. Stormwind humans have a diplomacy racial for a reason!

4 Likes

Having druids and a Gilneas-esque forested area would be great in Westfall. It is one of the Cata areas that has aged particularly poorly, both in terms of the freakin’ CSI meme and the rampant ongoing destruction.

Honestly, combined with the Duskwood events of Legion and the existing Worgen lore there, not to mention the dream portal, there is a LOT of untapped potential for NE/Worgen story advancement in that little corner of the world.

4 Likes

Deep down, I do hope that the devs figure out a way to make a new world revamp without running into the same problems Cata had. (With WQs and scaling, endgame content could be part of/set in older zones too and justify revamping them all, right? Right?)

The reason I joined this game was because I love the world aspect of it, and I really want to see the effects that current events (or even years-old events!) have on the rest of the world. Sure, there’ll always have to be problems and things for players to fight, but there can still be plenty of story advancement shown in the background!

6 Likes

Maybe. It’s happened before between the humans and draenei in the exodar and the dwarves and gnomes in ironforge.

The bulk of Lordaeron’s refugees from the Third War went with Jaina and founded Theramore. The bulk of them perished under the Mana Bomb, to contradict one poster’s assertion that the destruction of Theramore was “without casualties.”

Logically it should. If WoW were a well-written game, we’d see conflicts arise between night elves, Gilneans and Stormwindians over space, culture and general otherness.

But realistically, everyone will get along well. Blizzard doesn’t like making the Alliance come across as morally ambiguous or otherwise nuanced. By mid-Shadowlands, I expect Genn to be back to acting like Anduin’s uncle. Tyrande will get treated like Jaina used to; “she’s cray-zay for being all mad. Teldrassil was like one whole year ago, basically like three forevers! We all luvs the Horde, go chill girl!” And then she will get over the slaughter of her citizens, just like Jaina did.

I want to say it’s only female rulers who seem to get treated like this, but then it’s only female rulers who have their people slaughtered and cities bombed/burned, so I’m not sure where to go with that.

7 Likes

Yeah, there should also be large numbers of refugees from Undercity. But we are heading off to the Shadowlands, so it looks like Blizzard will ignore it.

Nah you can’t put anything negative on the alliance, neither it’s playerbase in general or writers want to write a semi-interesting plot about the general population getting tired of the elite club not doing anything about the housing/poverty.

1 Like

Not really. At best I see it as a throw comments like Genn telling Anduin that they’ll going to have to call up farmers next or Lor’themar saying that Sylvanas has the will of the people.

Though if this is covered I expect it to be done in Shadows Rising since the summary mentioned Anduin struggling under the crushing weight of leadership.

1 Like

Pretty sure the civilians made it out. It’s the military, along with the Alliance, that died.

The only people that made it out were those that Rhonin portaled out from the top of Jaina’s tower, at the cost of his own life.

No, there were entire ships of civilians who were ferried away to Gadgetzan. Everyone who was still in Theramore when the bomb dropped was there willingly to fight the Horde off.

Granted a good chunk of those refugees ended dead or harmed anyway, we saw them as prisoners in SoO.

2 Likes

As per Kosak, it was actually stragglers outside the city propet who got caught. The civilians presumable made it’s way to Stormwind safely.

Except it has been trying. Vanessa ruin their first attempt in Westfall. I’d also like to think most humans are smarter in Stormwind that real world ones and realize their complaints will mean nothing if insert Horde/world ending threat here wins in the end.

Having refugee tensions would be great political ammunition to pressure the Alliance to address the lost night elven homelands and sacred lands. I doubt the night elves would be interested in some Eastern Kingdom dump any more than Muslims or Jews would tolerate being evicted from Jerusalem and being told to make due somewhere else.

When religion and politics ride in the same cart, the whirlwind follows.

1 Like

I doubt it.

Not on an intelligent level beyond being canon fodder or an annoyance to the player depending on whatever event based quest is being ran at the time.

If the Alliance had any intelligence they should think about aggressively expanding elsewhere like Stranglethorn Vale to the south or reinforcing their presence in Duskwood. Its not as if they would be lacking in persons to send as expedition forces.

1 Like

The refugee presence in Stormwind is reduced… they’re no longer blanketing that farm as much as they were right post-Teldrassil.

Thing is, Night Elves have all the power to settle down basically anywhere really fast, they could even solve problems of the humans.

They can get wood without chopping down trees, their druids can talk to the trees and make buildings, put down some moonwells, and you can just ocuppy an empty zone close to stormwind. Or… since they took Darkshore, they can just rebuild there.

Teldrassil was planted, raised and an entire civilization was built there in 4 years, they can settle down fast.

8 Likes