Recommended Starting Pets for Beginners

I used lists like this when I was starting out. I didn’t do my first pet battle on purpose until 8.3 of BfA, and I really had to be cajoled into trying it. I was trying to finish exalted rep for Naz’jatar and Mechagon, and I wanted to be able do the pet battle WQ’s to help me get that done. A guildie who was familiar with how battle pets worked sent me a couple of pets and a link to a beginner video…and I fell down the WoW Pokemon rabbit hole.

I freaking love battle pets in World of Warcraft. It’s a huge side game all of its own, and there is SO MUCH to it. Getting started can seem daunting, and the first question people seem to run into is: Which pets should I start with?

Now that I have opinions of my own about that, here is my top list of pets that a beginner should get together and level to 25 . I’m going for a list of pets that a total battle pet noob can obtain easily without a massive time/gold investment. You’ll see huge overlap between this list and most similar lists on YT videos about the same subject. That’s because they really are the best ones for beginners to get, & there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. These are basic inventory for getting you started.

*Disclaimer: all AH price ranges I offer up are ranges I see on my two servers. One is very large and active; the other is a very small connected realm with very few active high-level players. These are to keep you from being bamboozled by a scammy price by accident, but my quoted AH prices may look different than those on your own realm.

UNIQUE MUST-HAVE PETS

1.) Parasitic Boarfly - wild capture in Tiragarde Sound.
This pet should be your first flying pet leveled to 25. It’s very easy to obtain. Just go to the Tiragarde Sound zone and fly up north to roughly 55,16 on your map to find one and capture it. I do recommend the P/P breed over a speed breed. As a wild caught pet, Parasitic Boarfly cannot be traded on the AH. You’ll have to go out there and get one for yourself.

Why is this pet special?
Parasitic Boarfly does excellent damage AND has excellent survivability. There aren’t a whole lot of pets you can say that about. This one is exceptional because you can use Lift-Off and Drain Blood as active abilities at the same time. Most pets with both of these abilities force you to choose one or the other. My parasitic boarfly is a P/P breed named Nigel. I use him in many of my daily pet master teams, and he is on most of my taming teams, as well.

2.) Iron Starlette - quest reward in Blasted Lands
This should be among your first level 25 mechanical pets. Mine is a P/P breed, but any breed you get from the quest will be sufficient. You CAN buy this from the AH, but the quest chain is relatively short, and it gives you one for free. The quest is called “Report to the King” (A)/ "Warning to the Warchief (H), and it’s part of the pre-WoD invasion stuff in Blasted Lands (Eastern Kingdoms).

Why is this pet special?
Iron Starlette has the now-famous “Windup/Supercharge/Windup” combination available, and this means that it can literally one-shot many master pet battles. That’s still true, and I use the Iron Starlette to one-shot two current WQ battles in Revendreth and Ardenweald in current content. It’s easy to get, it’s already rare quality, and it’s free, which isn’t true of the other pets with this (or a comparable) set of abilities.

3.) Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (MPD) - made by engineers
This should be your other early mechanical leveled to 25. If you are not an engineer, you can buy one off the AH. On most realms, these are relatively inexpensive to purchase. You should look to spend between 2k and 5k on a level 1 MPD. Or…build one for yourself with your engineering alt. This pet only comes in the S/S breed, so there’s nothing to get picky about there.

Why is this pet special?
The MPD has several very important abilities (Decoy, Thunderbolt, Bombing Run, Explode…) that make it incredibly versatile. It’s also a speedy pet, which means it will go first more often than not in pet battles. This makes a massive difference in many scenarios. As a mechanical, it has the automatic self-rez, but unlike most other mechanical pets, it is effective against a large range of other pet classes. It’s an all-rounder pet that fills many gaps for a lot of teams…and it’s pretty easy to obtain.

4.) Anubisath Idol (or Void-Scarred Anubisath) - Raid Drops
This pet should, hands-down, be your first Humanoid pet leveled to 25. Due to the soloable nature of the Ahn Qiraj raid and the ridiculously high drop rate for Void-Scarred Anubisath in Nyalotha, both of these pets (which are slightly different but interchangeable in function) should be easy to get for a reasonable price on your AH. Choose whichever is cheaper and get one (or go farm one up if that’s your thing). Expect to spend between 3k and 7k for a level 1 Anubisath pet.

Why is this pet special?
The Anubisath pet is a tank. It has high HP, so it can take a lot of hits, but it can also mitigate a lot of damage with Sandstorm, and it can defend itself with deflection or stoneskin. Sandstorm is special because, as a weather effect ability, it also reduces damage taken by other pets on your tem, as well. This pet is excellent for wild capture teams and for serving as a “tank” in many world quest and daily battles.

5.) Stormborne Whelpling - Guaranteed drop f/rare mob
This pet is a Dragonkin whelpling with the all-important Arcane Storm/Mana Surge ability set, and it’s easy to get. Go to Stormheim and kill the Stormwing Matriarch rare mob (it has a 1min respawn timer). She will drop one of these for you, et voila. It only comes in the P/S breed. You can often find these on the AH. Expect to spend between 4 and 8k for a level 1. I recommend just going out there and looting one for free.

Why is this pet special?
As mentioned, it has the Arcane Storm/Mana Surge ability combination. Most Dragonkin with these abilities force you to choose one or the other. The Stormborne Whelpling and the Nexus Whelpling (wild capture) are the only two dragonkin in the game–at least at this point–with the combo. It is extremely powerful against flying pets in PvE pet battles, so you need one. Because it’s already rare when you get it and because you can trade them on the AH…it’s arguably easier and faster to obtain than the Nexus Whelpling.

6.) Chrominius - Raid drop
This pet is used in a LOT of strategies b/c it has Arcane Explosion and Surge of Power. This makes it a very good pet for doing AoE damage to the opponent’s entire team and then an execute before it dies. This pet only comes in the H/H breed, and it’s already rare when it drops. You should expect to pay less than 1k gold for a level 1 Chrominius on the AH.

Why is this pet special?
This pet is used in a LOT of strategies b/c it has a large health pool along with the Arcane Explosion/Surge of Power duo. This makes it a very good pet for doing AoE damage to the opponent’s entire team and then an execute before it dies. Most pets with these two abilities force you to choose one or the other, so having one with both open at the same time is very nice. There are other pets, like Lil’ Tarecgosa, that have the same combination available, but because BWL is easy to solo, Chrominius is arguably the easiest and cheapest of all pets with the combo to obtain. If you don’t have one of these, you’ll run into a lot of strategies you simply cannot perform.

7.) Unborn Valkyr - wild capture in Crystalsong Forest (Northrend)
This should be one of your first Undead level 25’s. You can find them in Crystalsong Forest. I strongly recommend hunting until you find an H/H breed. Many pet strategies will call for this pet, and it’s still a very strong pet in current expansion pet battles.

Why is this pet special?
This pet, like most of the others I’ve recommended, has a special combo available with Curse of Doom and Unholy Ascension both being available rather than having to choose one or the other. Lots of pets have Curse of Doom and lots of pets have Unholy Ascension, but very few have both in different active slots. This ability combo means you can do a TON of passive damage with this pet while she’s “dead” in the backline. You need one of these, and you can get it for free by traveling to Northrend and catching one. Farm for a rare if you like, but the spawns are few and far between. I didn’t have the patience for that and upgraded it to rare with a stone.

LET’S TALK ABOUT CRITTERS, NOW

8.) A Rabbit - Pretty much…any rabbit
My personal favorite is the Dust Bunny (named Corduroy), but he’s not the easiest to get, the most powerful, or the fastest, so head out to forest near you and catch yourself a rabbit.

Why is this pet special?
The combination of Flurry/Dodge/Burrow that almost all rabbit pets have, coupled with their exceptionally high speed…makes the humble bunny a crucial critter to own.
Be that as it may, I do recommend getting an S/S rabbit for the speed, and if you want to read up on the “best” rabbit, that discussion has been done before, here:

https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3495

9.) A Snail - Pretty much…any snail (but I have recommendations)
Get a Rapana Whelk or a Shimmershell Snail. Those are my two favorites, but your mileage may vary. The Rapana Whelk hits harder. The Shimmershell Snail has more health (with the H/H breed). Whichever you choose…get a snail.

Why is this pet special?
Snails have a typical skill set shared between almost all snails (and OMG are there ever a ton of snails in this game. BfA is nothing but snails). Absorb is the big one. This ability heals your snail for the same amount of damage it does ever turn with no cooldown, so this means the lowly snail can actually hold up really well for a really long time in fights that might surprise you. What you need is a snail with the ability to use Absorb/Shell Shield/Dive all at once. This is the money selection of abilities with most snails, and you’ll be very glad to have one. Pick one you like best and get it rare’d and 25’d.

10.) A Squirrel - or chipmunk or other squirrel-like creature
These are all over WoW, and they come in a startling array of options. You should find your favorite and level it. If you happen to capture a rare one…use that one.

Why is this pet special?
While not typically as fast as rabbits, the squirrel/chipmunk critters have a pretty standard set of similar abilities. One important combo is the ability to apply a bleed with Woodchipper and then Nut Barrage or Stampede. With both of these up at once, that little squirrel can tear up some pretty big pets. Used in tandem with a pet that casts Lightning Storm or Darkness…it can get pretty impressive.

BEASTS YOU WANNA HAVE

11.) A Maggot - Maggot, Mr. Grubbs, Festering Maggot, Jungle Grub, Larva, or Devouring Maggot

Yeah, they’re actually really good.

Why is this pet special?
Maggots have a combination that makes them powerhouses against Humanoids. Consume works with Leap to do decent damage while healing the maggot at the same time. It works, and it’s pretty powerful. So find one and get it.

12.) A Clefthoof Runt - Leatherhide Runt or Clefthoof Runt
I have one of each (Ernest and Hemingway) in the H/H breed, which I recommend. Both are wild capture pets, so they are very easy and totally free to obtain.

Why is this pet special?
Because of the large health pool on these pets, clefthoof runts have the stamina of a tank, but with Trumpet Strike and Stampede in combo, they can also really tear up some pretty huge, difficult pets. I find these pets undervalued in popular strategies and use them a LOT, even in Shadowlands.

PETS FOR CATCHING OTHER PETS

13.) Weakening Blow - an ability you need
There are three pets in the game with Weakening Blow: Stemmins (Ardenweald reputation vendor for pet coins), the Snobold Runt (Trial of the Crusader drop/AH), and the Terrible Turnip (harvested from the MoP garden)

Why is this pet special?
Weakening blow allows you to attack much weaker pets without killing them. Weakening Blow will never reduce the enemy pet below 1, so no more accidentally killing that rare quality pet with the perfect breed you were trying to capture. You need to find one of these three pets, level it, and put it in a capture team for when you go to get…other pets.

14.) Superbark - an alternative to Weakening Blow
There are six pets in the game with the Superbark ability, and all of them are dogs. Corgi Pup, Corgnelius, Grumpy, and Lord Woofington are from the Beast class, and they all have this ability. Two are (as you might imagine) corgis, and the other two are large mastiff model dogs. Grumpy, one of the mastiffs, is especially easy to obtain. You simply travel to Bradensbrook in the Val’Sharah zone of Broken Isles, run into the burning house, and collect your new dog.

The final two Superbark pets are a Mechanical class dog named Brutus (“Toybox Tycoon” achievement reward), and an Undead dog named Scraps (treasure drop in Legion)

Why is this pet special?
Like Weakening Blow, Superbark is an ability that will never take the opposing pet below 1 hit point. For this reason, lots and lots of people choose to use Superbark pets instead of Weakening Blow pets. Be aware, however, that unlike Weakening Blow, Superbark has a cooldown, meaning you cannot use it two turns in a row. It’s not as reliable, but if you cannot get a Weakening Blow pet…or don’t feel like going to the trouble, you’ve got options.

IN CONCLUSION

There are literally more than 2,000 pets in this game, so obviously, these 14 I’ve listed are a starting point, and a very small one at that. As you get into this and start to understand how all the classes work with and against one another, you’ll develop you own ideas about which pets to collect and prioritize in what order. If you can manage to get a solid team of these I’ve recommended, however, I truly think you can make quick work of getting to a level of comfort with most of the early pet master battles and power-leveling circuits in WoD and MoP.

Happy collecting, and feel free to share your advice for other pets you think beginners should go for. Hope this was helpful.

9 Likes

Because this pet, solo, can help level two level 1 pets by battling
Ashlei in WoD.

This WoD trainer is easy to get to, for Alliance, and is a guaranteed ez-peasy level bump for two pets every day.

7 Likes

A good Moth can really be useful to have. I still open with one in my catching and leveling teams. P/S is a good breed. Cocoon strike and moth dust…Thanks for the write up, it is very well done and should help people get started in the fun that is pet battles and collecting.

5 Likes

So true! I can’t believe I forgot moths. It’s especially nice to have one that makes the lightning weather (don’t have the game open & can’t recall). That makes every attack hit for extra, so you can swap the moth out after that and use something with stampede. It’s crazy sauce.

3 Likes

Not only helpful but a bit awesome. Thanks for putting the time into writing this; wish I’d know this stuff a while back.

4 Likes

Ikky is one of the best battle pet to have in game…he is used in many many set ups though out zones in game. Add in Teroclaw too…dang good pet to have …matter fact I have 3 Teroclaws for different set ups for Pet Dungeons…

8 Likes

“I freaking love battle pets in World of Warcraft. It’s a huge side game all of its own, and there is SO MUCH to it.” This is music to my ears Meriweather, cuz I am right there with you! Thank you so much for all the thought and work you put into your post.

While I don’t have thoughts to add as to what are the best pets to begin with, I do have thoughts on how important it is to learn strategy and not rely on over powered pets. It might be a dopamine rush to win a match with a triple team of some ridiculous OP pet, but in the big picture one cheats themselves out of the learning the strategies and complexities of the game.

Because, as you point out Meriweather, “Getting started can seem daunting”
and because the game CAN be so very rewarding, imo anything that helps new trainers get over the initial shock of being “smacked down” and helps them to see there truly IS a light at the end of their learning curve will help the entire battle pet community.

It would be great to see a pin in this forum of essential beginner resources to learn the game (sorry if I am missing an already existing resource).

4 Likes

I concur with the moth suggestion - I used the moth and a giraffe calf all the time early on when I didn’t have many pets while fighting in wild pet battles.

I also suggest Benax. Very easy to get from a rare in Suramar (I think I get a new one every time I walk past the Meredil flight path lol) and also great abilities for numerous strategies.

4 Likes

I love Benax for the WOD managerie fight against the fat undead guy (Weebomination?). Attacks only hit him if they are 500 or more. Plus his model looks so much better than other frogs.

2 Likes

Yes! I think that one is Stitches Jr. but has the same (or similar) model as the Weebomination battle pet. I do love the model, too. Frog animations are also great.

2 Likes

That’s his name. I always got pissed at that fight and tried to bull my way through it, losing multiple teams and than tried Benax for whatever reason and he just rocks.

2 Likes

I forgot to add the Darkmoon Tonk and Darkmoon Zeppelin to my relatively easy-to-obtain must-have list. You can fish up 100 Darkmoon Daggermaw on as many characters as you have for this Darkmoon Faire Faded Treasure Map quest, which awards 100 Darkmoon Prize tickets once you follow all the clues to the treasure. Both pets cost 90 tickets each. The Darkmoon Faire is up through tomorrow and starts the first Sunday of every month for a week.

1 Like

These are good suggestions for newbies who are at max level, or close to it.
For a newcomer to WoW, many will be out of reach due to character level.
Or am I wrong? I’ve read players can choose where to level, how does that affect Battle Pets? Or content level? Could a Newbie go to Crystalsong Forest or plaguelands to catch wild pets?

1 Like

It’s pretty much the level of your pets that limits what you can battle or add to your pet collection. Like so many other Blizzard activities, was originally designed to be a long, slow grind.

You can’t add a pet to your journal if its level is higher than your highest pet. This means you can’t capture a wild pet that’s higher. You can battle pet teams that are higher than yours but of course this means you’re at a big disadvantage.

We did finally get a shortcut back in WoD, raising your Garrison to level 3 opened up the Menagerie and an easy quest to get a stone that’d raise one of your pets to 25. Once you have one 25, pet collecting and team building suddenly becomes so much easier.

BfA introduced Polished Pet Charms, which can be used to buy Ultimate Battle-Training Stones that also raise a pet to maximum level. Catch here is that they’re account-bound and you can only farm them in BfA and SL content. A newbie that hadn’t boosted is out of luck.

3 Likes

Thank you, I had forgotten most of this, other than higher level pets being in higher player level areas. Also, I may have bought a pet I couldn’t use. Seems as if my Level wasn’t high enough.
Pet Battling as a low level newbie can be very exciting. My first pet battle as a green newbie certainly was.
I was scouting along a river, and I was having trouble with frogs. Occasionally, a frog would attack me. ( those attacking frogs were Merlocs, but I didn’t know it.) I started clicking on all frogs I encountered, because then I could see their nameplates, and if they were hostile. This was working well, but then, I clicked on a frog that had a little asterisk symbol. That frog bowed up, jumped up, and wanted to fight me! Challenged me to a duel! I was freaked, wth? all I did was click on it, whats it’s problem? I forfeited, I felt sure it would kill me if we fought, as I had no idea what was expected. That was my introduction to Pet Battles.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, made my evening. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah, I got a laugh too.

One way to short circuit leveling a pet to 25 is to look for a cheap one on the AH. (Cheap being a cough relative term.) I typically post the BfA Engineering spider pet on my AH for 4999 gold as a level 25 rare. The Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, at level 25 goes between 9999 and 14999 gold on my realm.

As a new player you may not have the gold yet, but if you level up into SL it should be easier to accumulate.

3 Likes

If you capture a wild pet, it’s added to your journal even if it’s higher level than any you own.

This is how I first leveled pets, by only capturing rare or uncommon pets and using those to capture another set of 3 that were 2+ levels higher until I had level 23s.

6 Likes

I think there are ~1450 pets that can be collected based on a number of pet collector analysis tools: Rematch, XuFu, and Wowhead.

Putting that aside, thank you for writing this up. While I’ve been doing a bunch of pet battles, the only reason why I’m winning them is because of borrowed strategies. In many cases, I’m not even sure why I won them. Your explanations are great and much appreciated.

If you’re looking to add to your list of most useful pets, warcraftpets maintains a list of the top ranked 20 pets.

Happy Squirt Day!

2 Likes

Good strategy for this is catching the Arcane Eye(something to that effect) as it’s level 17-18 and a single wild fight. It always has zero friend pets, so 3 level 10-12 could easily get it down low enough for capturing.

4 Likes