Reclaiming Guild - Dethroning GM offline 7 years

Looking for assistance reclaiming an old guild (Blizzard please help). I was dethroned years ago and as a result put at the lowest rank. Most other higher ranking members have been offline for years (including the person who dethroned me). Blizzard’s policy of a higher ranking member taking it back isn’t an available option since most members who could take back the guild have been offline for over 5 years.

The person who dethroned me has been offline for 7 years. Anyone have a good way of getting through to Blizzard, they don’t have a means to contact them about this issue?

The character in question is: Eccedruid - Dragonmaw (US).

Update 1: I did find an old member. They were not in the old 2, 3, or 4th ranking so they could not reclaim. They did promote me to the 2nd lowest rank, all they could do.

I remember a post from 2022, that referenced previous Guild Leaders possibly being able to reclaim their leadership.

Here is a Blizzard post about it that also includes a ticket link.

7 Likes

Is the black and white article in question. But it has happened where the ORIGINAL guild master was dethroned and upon coming back, wanted to take the reins back. Unless you were the creator of the guild, there isn’t anything they can do.

5 Likes

Here’s what Vrak had to say on the matter back in April.

Please note the “may reinstate” there isn’t a guarantee. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt to put in a ticket and try. I wish you the best of luck. But please keep your expectations on the lower side. When they say may. There certainly is no guarantee.

9 Likes

Thanks, there isn’t a way to put in a ticket for it. Appreciate the response here. Hopefully a blue can give it a look.

Unfotunately the blues wont give it back to you thats not there job wasnt there a link to a tick in kalv post.

It’s been a while since someone has come through with this issue, but if I remember correctly?

Try this path: https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/1460/ticket

Again - only do this if you were the ORIGINAL guild owner. No matter what other semantics come into play, they won’t take into consideration. Just make sure to be explicit about you being the original guild leader, you’d been dethroned, the new leader has been off-line for several years and you’d like your guild back.

Now, perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion on the ticket link, but the guild is an interface, when it boils down to it. But at least this way you can get your ticket in the system.

NOW - a forewarning. You will likely receive a templated response at first. This is normal. They do try and offer other resources so folks don’t have to wait on a GM when it may be an issue they can solve themselves. For you, you will need to hit the button to the tune of “I still need help.” Hit that and it’ll kick it in for a GM to work on. Also, please don’t give too much worry to whatever ticket timer comes up. That timer is based on the oldest ticket in the system. It’s not a timer for your specific ticket.

Good luck to you.

3 Likes

Thanks this is good, I held GL down for a few years. Appreciate all the feedback, hoping to see if any other solutions come up. I may use this if nothing else comes to light.

The link doesn’t go anywhere, it’s a page not found now.

https://battle.net/support/help/product/wow/181/187/solution?_gl=11lm9tvb_gaNjQzMjQyNDAxLjE2NjU1OTMwOTc._ga_VYKNV7C0S3*MTcxNzM4NDAwMi40OS4xLjE3MTczODQyOTEuNjAuMC4w

Ahh, yah. I’m sorry, but shy of you reaching out to that GM or any of the officers who may have the permissions to at least bring you into the range of being able to dethrone - there isn’t anything that can be done.

You can go ahead and create a new guild in the fashion of the old, but the reigning guild master owns the guild. They have who they want (if there are any) folks in the ranks to dethrone. The only person who may have a chance at taking the guild back is the original guild master. Anyone else, there just isn’t any recourse.

I’m sorry.

There is information from our SFAs starting from the post that was linked, but you are correct in that the article linked in that older post, it doesn’t exist anymore. But the discussion and information after that post speaks on the part of an original GM having a chance to reclaim their guild.

4 Likes

Try opening a ticket using this link

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/338/ticket

Just one final thot depending on how long ago it was there maybe no evidence of you being gm at any point logs dont last forever.

At the risk of being pedantic, can we stipulate that ‘GM’ is reserved solely as an abbreviation for 'Game Master, and that the accepted term for the leader of a guild is, well… Guild Leader, or GL.

In the interest of avoiding unnecessary confusion, the person in charge of a guild should never be referred to as a GM.

To summarize:
Game Master = GM
Guild Leader = GL
Guild Master = unnecessary confusion

3 Likes

To be fair on this:

Group lead = GL

There’s going to be confusion in some way, somewhere.

2 Likes

Also even the support articles call it guild master.

1 Like

Not a term I’ve ever heard used in WoW. I’m not sure I’ve ever been in a group that didn’t refer to that person as the tank. Raid lead, yes. Group lead, though?

In any event, GL v. GL confusion seems unlikely with context clues; people are going to reference either a group or a guild. Referring to the leader of the guild as GM (guild master) and telling that person to contact a GM (game master)? Needlessly and avoidably confusing.

As I said - at the risk of being pedantic…

I won’t. You can’t make me. :hear_no_evil: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I think the best way to avoid confusion between two terms that would be abbreviated the same way is simply not to abbreviate them when used together.

4 Likes

Final result, Blizzard has a “hands off policy” to guilds. After attempting to regain control from 3 Game Masters, if you lose the guild, which means automatic demotion to lowest rank (at least in 2024), you’ll need to start another guild from from scratch – even if the entire guild roster is inactive (for years).

2 Likes

Its a tough lesson to learn but its the gms right to secure there position to prevent dethroning.

5 Likes

That’s what I was figuring. I am sorry. In the future? If you’re a GM and you don’t want to be dethroned, do not put anyone in the first three ranks of a guild. Set your permissions and such, starting your officers at rank 4. Then you’ll not have to worry about yourself being dethroned as a guild master.

All the best to you.

7 Likes

I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you… best of luck with all your future endeavors though.

Don’t allow this setback ruin your day

3 Likes