Rearranging and Removing Portals

I wonder how much this change will add to their precious active play time metrics by making all the non-mages spend time on flight paths, zeppelins and other such dead content.

TBH plenty of raiding guilds still do this sort of thing–we just have toons that are EXP locked at certain levels.

3 Likes

Peep the forums, WoWhead, MMO champ, twitter, class discords. No one wants this except people who want vanilla. Nice try.

6 Likes

All of those things are in fact irrelevant even in current content:
Flightpaths, Flight whistles, hearthstones, mob tether/leash, god mode stealth, feign death etc etc. Flying mounts do nothing to trivialize content-- that isn’t easily already done.

5 Likes

But any reason they give might not fit your standard of what should and shouldn’t be enough to justify portals.

So who cares why they do. They fact that they do, and are upset at this unnecessary change is enough, IMO

3 Likes

Ok,let say i want to get from point A ,SW to B ironforge ,to the company the longer it takes a player reach B the more time in game it takes ,you have 15 dollar a month by porting to you doing content in 30 minutes ,that’s 9 hours a month.
Now take away porting ,and you run the distance to ironforge (hope not) for a month it takes you one hour to get there but you still have to do the 30 minutes and fight npc’s along the way.That an hour or more time ,now this is a month 30 days about total 45 hours.
9 hrs is less time for the players money value then 45 hrs running but to this system it less money for game company because in the long run it takes you longer.Which would you want in value for you money 9 hrs or 45hrs?

1 Like

Oh man, remember that one time at Bliz camp when they were talking about forcing everyone to level because reasons? GUIDING PRINCIPLES!!!

2 Likes

People that are happy are going to be silent. Why? They are content. This is true for rating on everything. People are much more likely to give feedback if it is negative. If they feel positive about something, they are likely to just keep going about their day.

1 Like

Taienna gave you a reason. Selling them on the AH to make gold. Old mats are used to make lower levels items that can be used in transmog and some people want to level every level of a profession.

Wildvine, something Taienna mentioned, is used in a handful of tailoring patterns.

3 Likes

As someone who has made her living off of creating and selling art, I endorse this message. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The main reasoning behind it is that watching a mandatory long and boring cinematic every time you want to go anywhere is just bad game design. Fast travel exists in all modern games of the genre for a reason. If you are going to remove your agency by putting you on a uncontrollable mount, make it skipable.

The existence of bad design does is justification for removing bad design. Convenience and inconvenience becomes secondary at this point. Either make you go there yourself or make it skipable.

Hence why there’s almost 10k posts about this. Makes sense to me that there are a LOT of posts just on these forums alone because the players are unhappy. Thanks for proving our point.

2 Likes

And I’m a writer trying to build a fanbase :slight_smile:

Not at the starving stage yet, but I hope to never get to that point.

Yes that is why I mentioned there was probably one. I just don’t know specifics. now I know one.

Same, lol!

1 Like

It’s an interesting concept, but Blizzard has shown they can leech the life out of TW too by tuning it just over the threshold for “fun”.

Besides, it used to be that there was fun to be had in the incremental power gains that would see you out level a zone. Scaling put a stop to that fun tho.

3 Likes

That’s a massive overexaggeration. The EU forums version of this post has 1/10th of the responses.

I would say that the vast majority aren’t even aware of this change. Tuesday is going to be fun when people run into missing portals.

8 Likes

And if people stop playing or stop doing that activity, how much will be their playtime?

Gee it’s almost like the EU forums cater to a much smaller population…

Weird, that.

5 Likes