Realm Layering Update

Hopefully the remainder remove their layers soon. I’ve had one too many encounters of clearing my way through a pack of mobs at a camp in order to get a chest, only to kill the last mob at the camp and have the entire camp and area immediately respawned and the chest disappear because I got layer swapped for seemingly no reason.

Layering: an idea with good intentions to solve a specific problem but which nobody actually considered the edge cases or downsides.

1 Like

I sincerely appreciate getting actual information. That said,

states that you’ve had a stable amount of layers for nearly a month, a time that coincides with additional server transfers. Why couldn’t this information have been provided at that time?

I transferred off my preferred sever out of concern for how world population and queues would react to the removal of layers - yet these servers were already at two layers and were very playable. If I was aware of this, I would not have transferred and sincerely did enjoy my previous server infinitely more.

Yet myself and many others have transferred, resulting in imba servers ripe for griefing behavior impacting the playerbase on PvP servers as a whole.

I am thankful that you’ve finally provided information as to current server status, but this data should be provided readily so people can make informed decisions on the server they want to dedicate their valuable time. This information comes out a month after the fact when you can simply implement a pinned post that provides players with dynamic information on layers/server and faction ratios.

The only request I really have is that we are provided offical data as it is available. Not nit-picked stats a month after it is relevant for insightful decisions. This isn’t specific to this layer update, but how updates have been handled in general.

Thank you Blizzard.

6 Likes

I thought i was crazy when i noticed an overflow of people in my otherwise mid at best server.

About the time PvP players man up and quit creating faction imbalances.

4 Likes

This is not due to layering. When this continues to happen to you in populated areas after your server is confirmed to be single layer, I wonder what it’ll be blamed on then? I’m excited to find out.

2 Likes

Having the offical faction ratios would help to prevent this.

How would someone know which server and faction to have rolled on without any idea of the balance at the time?

If x number of people were intending on playing on Herod, and began there on day one based on their preferred faction, how would they be aware if the ratio was skewed one way or another initially and thus decide to roll the alternative faction or on a different server? At the point these issues became more and more apparent, many people had already dedicated time into their toons and were getting into 20+ contested zones.

I currently play Heartseeker Horde and think I am contributing to improving the faction ratio, but how can I confirm that? When I played Faer Horde, I think it was relatively even and therefore was not negatively impacting balance; however, I have no idea if that was actually the case being that no data is provided.

This could be a player-solved issue to a degree, but without data isn’t possible to address accurately. Given the choice, I personally would always choose a relatively balanced server over a heavily skewed one. For imba servers, knowing the ratio also can confirm if rolling as the underdog will be helpful and full of WPvP action, or simply overwhelmingly crushing to the point open world gaming is very inefficient.

With the current rate of updates, we’ll probably know in P5 what ratios are actually close to =P

1 Like

So, you’re asking Blizzard to prevent a problem you don’t know even exists?

Q: Will locked layers result in more ques for full-pop realms?
As an Earthfury player it would be nice to see more ques on overpop servers to drive more xfers!

1 Like

So what IS it due to then? I’m genuinely curious.

Not in a group. Not simply mobs that I had killed respawning - short or not.
But immediately on the death of a mob, literally the entire visible sub-zone shifts and every mob respawns and environmental props like chests or veins appear/disappear.

So… if that’s not because of a layer shift, then what is causing it?

3 Likes

No, many people suspect there is an issue. I’m asking a service provision company to provide insightful, offical data - not subject to GDPR - to their paying customers so we can better analyze the reality of faction balance and choose servers appropriately.

I am qualifying my statement with I don’t know because regardless of how we feel conditions are, there is no validated confirmation.

You even stated,

implicating you believe an issue exists.

1 Like

the layer abuse was only prevalent in the first two weeks anyways, when no lifers power abused to get to 60 and then abused AOE farming. there was no competition on not just one layer, but 3. nonstop killing

the damage was already done, which is what you “layering is fine” zombies dont seem to understand.

7 Likes

Woot! My realm is a single layer!

3 Likes

Any word on faction imbalance solutions?

Need to limit free xfers by faction immediately.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the update:)

Any plans on fixing bolvar? We haven’t been able to turn in ony head because hes not present in the keep and katrana prestor seems to phase in and out. Sometimes its just anduin standing there.

please please please make this take faction balance into account.

5 Likes

Amen to this.

More unsubstantiated forum BS about layering shown to be just that, BS.

Thank you for the update!

Two layers is basically doubling the capacity of the realm.

I don’t know if I’d call that insignificant.

5 Likes

Good to hear.