Realm Connections -- August 4

A lot of people prefer to not play on highpop servers.

4 Likes

After looking it over, this seems to be a good move. My reasons were more personal because I moved 5 toons to ED already and was hoping to get my last two there without paying. But if this means ravenholdt isn’t totally dead, then I can just leave them there. My ED are alliance and RH are horde, so not a big deal to get them together.

1 Like

It won’t even be close to half of Emerald Dream’s population. Maybe like 1/4, if that.

Who are you speaking for here? Definitely not for me, I was hoping to be connected to an active server instead of another two dead realms. Blizzard really should offer free transfers from dead realms if they’re not going to bother fixing them.

It’ll still be totally dead.

1 Like

Here’s what Maelstrom was like before it was connected with two other realms. This was during WoTLK:

https://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/maelstrom/rating.tier10_10

100 guilds that had killed 1 boss in Heroic ICC 10. This is what Maelstrom looks like now, connected to two other dead realms:

https://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/connected-maelstrom

7 guilds with a boss kill in Mythic Ny’alotha. With Ravenholdt and Twisting Nether, that puts us at 9:

https://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/connected-ravenholdt/

With 5 servers connected, we’ll have 1/10th of the raiding guilds that Maelstrom had back in WoTLK. The server community has been completely dead for years and will continue to be dead.

1 Like

It’s probably like real estate - location, location, location. The high/full pop single realms are the NYC, Boston, San Francisco for big raiding guilds (but not necessarily the elite).

1 Like

Omg no, Ravenholdt made toons on that server for a REASON, the whole point was to have a peaceful place to farm mounts and other things without other people getting in the way. It was nice to be on a dead server.

Sorry but this is bad news. Oh well at least war mode on RP servers is pretty dead…

3 Likes

The Maelstrom group by itself is about 1/4 of Emerald Dream’s population, based on current numbers that I found.

The Twisting Nether group was about the same size as the Maelstrom group at the beginning of the expansion. They appear based on current numbers to have lost more of their population over the course of BFA, such that they are now only 1/20 of the size of Emerald Dream, but with the new expansion, I’d expect their population to more closely reflect the BFA beginning of expansion numbers than their current numbers. The result will be something about half the size of Emerald Dream. Maybe that will help them with retention over the course of the expansion this time.

The result may not let your guild become a top 100 or even CE guild, but if that’s what you want to do, your best bet is to transfer to a top Horde raiding server anyway.

The Maelstrom group is far from totally dead by itself. Our Horde friend here will see an instant quintupling of population, for example.

Edit:

That’s a reasonable argument that server connections should never have been done in the first place, but it might be a bit late to undo them now. It does suggest that of the name conversion options I suggest above, a preferential free conversion to the oldest server may be the best option.

That’s not what I want at all. I want the server to be as alive as it was in TBC or WoTLK.

1 Like

I want that too, but I want it to be Maelstrom, not Emerald Dream. I could get Emerald Dream by transferring.

The game as a whole has been on a steady decline ever since Wrath, and ultimately we’re seeing a symptom of that. Maybe Blizzard can reverse that. In the meantime, I think the best we can do is try to retain people who return for each expansion as best we can, and also try to add players who have never played before.

On the original topic, I hope you are going to merge realm forums too? You should probably merge both the Ravenholdt and the Ravenholdt & Twisting Nether boards with the Lightninhoof, Maelstrom, & The Venture Co. board.

1 Like

Just wanna say that Blackwater Raiders / Shadow Council are looking forward to future connections. While our population may not be the lowest of the RP servers, things often feel pretty dead these days and they have felt that way for quite some time. The vast majority of people that I used to play with have since left for greener pastures, unfortunately.

This would be fantastic.

2 Likes

Glad these have been rescheduled.

When I am on (9pm pacific), Cairne has <400 alliance on. You can take a census just by typing who class because everything is under 50. Monks and rogues are in the teens in terms of logged-in players. Historically, Cairne has had slightly greater alliance numbers than horde numbers (top 20 guilds have 15 alliance/5 horde) so it is not like the horde side is going to be higher.

A mythic raid takes 5% of the server. And blizzard labels that “medium”.

These realm combinations are overdue.

1 Like

Sisters of Elune and Cenarion Circle are already merged together (and are now both Pacific time zone) but your groupings would separate them.

Plus, I know a whole lot of us on CC-SoE that don’t want to be connected to Moonguard or Wrymrest Accord; a good number of us made a deliberate choice to be on a smaller server and avoid those two. We’d rather be paired up with another small/medium population RP server.

2 Likes

Yeah, realm population labels are not up to date… Blackwater Raiders / Shadow Council is medium pop, but there are only about 15 active mage mains doing M+, raiding, or pvp.

Darrowmere-Windrunner needs another realm connection. Preferrably one heavy with PVP players. I haven’t seen a single PVP guild on this server and I don’t want to transfer. Got like 14 toons here.

plz merge blackrock with kil’jaeden

So does Kirin Tor, we show up as a medium server but it’s been dead throughout the whole expansion.

If Cairne/Silvermoon is that empty on the Alliance side, then the Horde side must be rocking. Sorry, it needed to be said. lol

I remember one of the pvp realms back in vanilla which was a high pop Alliance-heavy realm. Today it is a LOW pop realm even by the generous re-definition of population indicators after the server conversion in WoD/Legion.

I can confirm that Garona is completely dead.