Realm Connections -- August 20

Wonderful. Fantastic. Since Thunderlord isn’t listed, I fully expected it to be online today. How can Blizz be this bad at customer service?

3 Likes

Yup, same here.

1 Like

This was gonna be my stance and what I was going to say as well. Maizou appears to just be openly against an influx of any players to Proudmoore despite the entire point to the realm being an accepting and open community. I’m a straight white guy, I’m tempted to go on Proudmoore and see the kind of reaction I’d get should the topic come up.

It feels borderline paranoid.

4 Likes

Most people would definitely notice right away once the connection occurred, because there are many situations on a connected realm where you have to type the hyphenated name and server of someone, such as when whispering them, when you previously only had to type their name. You can try to rely on autocomplete, but it only gets the right person about 2/3 of the time. This is a significant annoyance and a good reason not to connect realms which have populations that are already healthy.

I agree most players would not have realized a connection was happening until after it had happened, but there were also a significant number posting in this thread and in the thread specific to the Hyjal-Proudmoore connection. The question is whether the posters were representative. I think the people, especially the ones from Proudmoore, who posted probably are representative because they were mostly in agreement. In fact, 8 of the first 10 responses on this thread questioned the merger, and only 1 was in favor, a pretty strong majority against.

I’m playing on a realm that has been connected for a decade as Maelstrom-Lightninghoof-TheVentureCo. Even 10 years later, there’s a noticeable difference in culture. For reasons dating back to when it was a new server, Maelstrom people are mostly players who incorporate PVP into our RP, and most of us are in war mode all the time. Lightninghoof was also originally a RPPVP server, but its culture had less emphasis on PVP, and perhaps half are typically in war mode.

We recently got connected to TwistingNether-Ravenholdt, the other two former RPPVP realms that aren’t Emerald Dream. Most people on both sides were okay with this connection, if only because we were united in not wanting to get absorbed by the borg Emerald Dream. There were several events that were organized to introduce people from the two connection groups being merged once the connection occurred.

One was a cross faction meeting in Shattrath. I was dubious about it because I’m used to thinking of the other faction as the enemy, but I went anyway because I wanted to make the connection as successful as I could. I couldn’t find the meeting. It turned out that the meeting was in a war mode off shard, and I’m in a war mode guild, so I couldn’t even see them.

That’s not statistical evidence, but it is evidence. Different realms have different cultures, and they don’t always mesh perfectly. Given the rather unique culture of Proudmoore, I think culture clash would have been guaranteed.

I doubt any experiment was needed, as I’d bet Blizzard has merged unbalanced servers before. Nor do I think using paying customers as experimental subjects is a good idea.

And yet, when Blizzard posted the connections that included the Maelstrom-Lightninghoof-TheVentureCo with TwistingNether-Ravenholdt, nearly all the posts from those affected were mildly to strongly in favor of that connection, unlike Proudmoore-Hyjal. It’s not the case that only those against are posting in these threads.

In my opinion, Blizzard handled the whole connection situation extremely well. They posted well in advance that connections would be happening, which gave people on servers likely to be connected, or that they would like connected, plenty of notice. Then, they posted with regard to each set of connections, which allowed them to get feedback on specific connections. Now, they are responding to the will of the community by cancelling one of the less well thought out connections. That’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

They wouldn’t have to move a server; they would just have to move data. It would, however, impact the ping people would see. If a strong consensus of Hyjal players felt that a connection would be worth a change in server location, which I doubt, Blizzard could still theoretically do that.

2 Likes

Perhaps she thinks LGBTQ friendly and straight friendly are mutually exclusive. Depending on the definition of “friendly”, she may even be correct.

I’m not saying its impossible but im sure getting east coast latency from what was supposed to be a west coast server would upset alot of people and cause alot more issues than it would solve (especially people who play from Asia and specifically seek out west coast servers)… they will look to see what other west coast servers could connect to it before even thinking of a Chicago server to connect to hyjal.

3 Likes

If that’s what Mai believes, well, that’s rough. I understand some people are jerks or downright hostile to the LGBT community but I still think its silly to condemn entire servers because of what a few may do. That’s like me condemning Proudmoore because Mai’s attitude is generally not pleasant and they openly stated they don’t “accept” anyone because apparently everyone hates their community, even those of the LGBT community on different servers. But like I said, that’s silly and I do know some wonderful people on Proudmoore so I would never condemn the entire server due to a few bad apples.

I concur. And like several of us Horde on Hyjal have said, we aren’t against connections. Just give us one that makes sense. Culturally, I do think Proudmoore and Hyjal would mesh(because Hyjal IS a chill and welcoming place with tons of friendly folks), but that doesn’t change the fact that population wise, connecting us made no sense as it’d result in a mega server, likely with queues and more than lag than we already get. No one wants that. And Blizzard states connections aren’t meant to cause queues, this one most likely would have.

Eh, I’ll only speak for myself on this but, East Coast, West Coast, ping would be fine. I’m in Georgia and my ping is generally in the 70-90 range for Hyjal, which isn’t bad at all. Though I imagine people who play on servers for their associated coast and are used to the 10-20 pings may notice a difference. And as Janek said, it would definitely affect folks from Asia, and even our Aussie friends that play on West Coast servers.

Why is Thunderlord not mentioned with Azgalor, Destro, Azshara?

2 Likes

Nice! Now I have five chances at any name I want!

. . . Too bad I’m out of character slots. :cry:

I actually am going to make a character on that server. Their concern about that auction house has me wondering just what they are doing on there. That it was going to ruin the auction house was just ridiculous and doesn’t even make sense unless they have price fixing in place.

Pretty sure they have one of the gold goblins I know on that server and he will constantly reset prices to keep them high.

Yup, I will add this server to my gold making activities. There is a reason they were concerned - lots of easy gold to be made here.

1 Like

There was a lot less people period posting about that and not all were for it. If you actually polled a server liked Ravenholdt I am betting you would have more people against than for because most people on servers like that have characters there because of the low population.

I was against that connection but who the heck thought blizzard would back track on these.

Once a server connection is done its very hard to backtrack… I’m sure blizzard could technically do it but you would be driving a wedge through that servers economy and would be splitting social circles and guilds.

About the Proudmoore-Hyjal thing, to be honest I think the servers would be a good match socially they are similar (just opposite factions) and I know alot of people who play Proudmoore and park horde toons on Hyjal having them together and a bigger auction house can only be a good thing imo… In general too though I feel like the faster barriers break down between servers the better it is for the game. WoW has evolved so much since it launched and servers certainly don’t have the same purpose as in the games early days.

Azgalor, Azshara, and Destromath… and this should include Thunderlord too, right? Also the server locations aren’t changing or anything right?

Thanks!

They were always east coast servers that won’t change, the mannoroth cluster should get a server time change from eastern time to central time to match that of it’s new host server but both servers were always hosted in Chicago :).

Today’s realm maintenance for connections has concluded. The following realm connections are completed and live:

• Eldre’Thalas and Korialstrasz to Akama, Dragonmaw, and Mug’thol
  • Korgath to Cenarius, Perenolde, and Cairne
  • Blood Furnace, Mannoroth, and Nazjatar to Azgalor, Azshara, Thunderlord, and Destromath
  • Madoran and Dawnbringer to Azuremyst and Staghelm

Unfortunately, two connections could not be completed, due to technical issues:

• Ursin, Andorhal, Scilla, and Zuluhed to Eonar and Velen
  • Garona to Icecrown and Malygos

We’ll let you know about the next round of connections as soon as possible.

6 Likes

Please connect “Korgath, Cenarius, Perenolde, and Cairne” to a HORDE majority server, the horde side of this server connection is still very under populated. Not asking for faction balance on the server…just asking for more bodies on the horde because its still really low.

Could you connect Garona to a different set of realms?? This will make it about 90% Alliance 10% Horde… Or give Garona players a free xfer off since there seems to be issues with connecting them.

1 Like

Things that are server dependent are down to just the things that require a common database. The only way World of Warcraft could further break down the barriers would be to switch to Oracle RAC, which would be prohibitively expensive.

This is rediculous… I have been so excited to get these connections. It is SO hard to find raiders on a dead realm. There’s not even an ETA for when you will try to connect velen and eonar again? Might just quit until Shadowlands then.

1 Like

I mean every connection is an invisible wall between servers removed… thats an improvement already regardless.