Realm Connections -- August 20

I agree. And this:

This is how I feel in this thread.

For a second there… I kinda did think it would be that easy…

That would be a terrible idea. Look at the Alliance Hyjal players upthread – they need to be linked to a realm with healthy Alliance population. If not Proudmoore, then something else.

Maybe Malygos-Icecrown-Garona could accommodate Hyjal too? We’re still not exactly going to be giant after tomorrow, AFAIK.

3 Likes

You didn’t read the rest of my post. Hyjal alliance should get free transfers off Hyjal to other alliance heavy servers. Lightbringer, for example. That would give them more alliance players to do things with.

2 Likes

This isn’t actually true. The Proudmoore people were basically unanimous in not wanting the Hyjal-Proudmoore merge. Hyjal Horde weren’t thrilled with it either. Hyjal Alliance may have been more split but have, frankly, so few people that losing them is a much smaller risk than losing a bunch of people from Proudmoore.

There’s no evidence that connecting realms helps stem player unsubscriptions, and there is evidence that connecting previously unconnected realms hurts the community on those realms due to culture clashes and the need to use hyphenated names. The only real benefit to connecting realms is that it saves Blizzard money, and that’s more of a benefit to people who aren’t on the realms to be connected than to people who are.

To believe that, you have to believe Blizzard didn’t understand them either.

Blizzard knows whether, when a server or a connected realm is queued, it’s queued on both factions. That Blizzard withdrew the connection suggests that you’re mistaken about how that works.

The evidence is that servers tend toward unbalance as people on the minority faction transfer or unsubscribe, and this happens faster on larger servers, which is why all the largest servers are highly unbalanced. A Hyjal-Proudmoore server would likely have seen the vast majority of Hyjal Horde transfer or unsubscribe over the next couple of expansions, leaving a server composed of Proudmoore Alliance and very little else.

3 Likes

Lol thats incredibly selfish. Youre ignoring the minority faction on those servers in that situation… just think about what you said “It helps to have more players to play with.” This is exactly why having opposite factions merging into each other is good so that both sides have healthy populations instead of just one side. They need players to play with too.

9 Likes

I agree. As an Alliance player on Hyjal I would love for Hyjal to be merged with another server that allows for a healthy size Alliance and Horde community.

I don’t want the only solution to be asking Blizzard for free transfers off Hyjal, which I’ve been on for 10 years and with my guild mates for 10 years as well.

8 Likes

Hyjal is in LA and those are in Chicago.

Can’t cause Hyjal is in LA.

I would argue that the majority of Proudmoore and Hyjal players didn’t realize a merger was happening and even less know the merger or connection is now off again. More so I doubt that everyone would have noticed right away that any change actually happened.

Hyjal and Proudmoore’s minority factions are so under-populated it would be like putting a drop of water into a desert and then be worried about drowning in the newly created theoretical lake. But if you have evidence that connected realms have culture clashes I would definitely look at it and see what I might be over looking. Can you share that when able?

It looked like a good experiment in the making in terms of faction balancing and what a server could look like. I was definitely interested to see how the dynamic would play out and what the end result would be. What a shame!

5 Likes

They weren’t. Plus people who are unhappy with things are more likely to say something than people who were happy. So what you saw is a bunch of very vocal people who strongly objected to this making a lot of noise about what ‘could’ happen, not what will happen.

that wasn’t going to happen - most of those things they claimed would never have been an issue.

6 Likes

Hyjal is a west coast server (housed in Los Angeles), the Blood Furnace cluster is a east coast server (housed in Chicago)… They aren’t moving servers between data centres to make connections.

Regardless, personally I kinda wish they didn’t backtrack on the decision, the more I think about it the more I could see Hyjal as a good companion server for us. It’s no secret I generally believe that its better for wow as a whole to break down the barriers between servers as at this point servers (of the same type) generally exist as nothing more than a social and economical barrier between players. The technology behind wow and also it’s gameplay has evolved so much from the time the game revolved around sever communities. From the second that you log into the game you are placed on a random shard that belongs to no server that any player who plays in the same server pool hails from. You will meet many people in the world, yet you may only join guilds or trade and otherwise fully interact with a select few of those who you meet, it just seems weird to me that these restrictions are still a thing.

Hyjal US has 150 guilds! One hundred and fifty! A comparison, my main realm, quel’thalas EU is slightly alliance favoured, it’s marked high pop nonetheless and feels quite lively on horde side, it barely has half the guilds hyjal has.

If a high pop realm double than another realm that makes the high pop ranking is low, damn, then blizzard’s indicator is terrible for population!

4 Likes

it was a bold idea to put forward to put Hyjal-Proudmoore as potential connection candidates, thats for sure, but Hyjal’s population is still like a quarter of that of the big 4 “mega” servers (Area52,Stormrage and Draenor/Silvermoon on EU). even if you combined Hyjal with proudmoore, from what I could gather it would still only be the 4th biggest server in the region, behind Tich,area52 and stormrage (Proudmoore is currently in #10, Hyjal is in #24 spot)

If you want Proudmoore to be connected to another realm, please lobby to be connected to someone your own size, like Tichondrius.

1 Like

I Wouldn’t be against it except Tich is already massive (As far as I can tell, Tich by itself is already bigger than Hyjal/Proudmoore would be combined), if you combine these 2 servers it would be the biggest server in all of WoW by a country mile.

3 Likes

Tich & Proudmoore are pretty equivalent, with Tich being slightly larger.

But combining Full servers like those with ANYBODY is just a terrible idea.

2 Likes

I mean its hard to get proper statistics, I just use raider io because that seems to be the most reliable but they still rely on log/key data (meaning RP servers are probably still going to underrepresented in this data, and regardless it still wouldn’t be 100% accurate) but its the best we got these days and the data provides that Tichondrius has 250k characters logged, Proudmoore has 173k, and Hyjal has 75k.

I think we can all agree that we would be more likely to wager on the following statement being true than false:

Proudmoore has a massively larger casual player pool than Tichondrius.

Indeed, thats why wowprogress isn’t the best source of data… they only track players in progression. Tichondrius always had a high much higher player count than wowprogress seems to suggest, I remember even the days of the Realmpop site existing it was almost always shown as the fullest server in the region and that website used to rely on AH data before blizzard changed the Api and broke it.

Yes, these numbers are spot on.