Really good changes for dk

IMO would’ve been better use to reduce the effectiveness of spellwarden to “applies spellwarding with 33% reduced effect” or something like that than just entirely gutting the runeforge. Makes it garbage to use if for some god forsaken reason someone decided to actually use it instead of fallen crusader on their MH.

Sanguination is also good if you wanna squeeze out a bit more damage or if you’re playing blood.

1 Like

The damage loss from not having fallen crusader makes using anything but that on unholy a significant damage chunk that you can’t afford to lose

That’s actually a good counterpoint. The healing helps too. Though I can’t help but wonder if FC will be affected by trinket bonus nerf.

I imagine it will be affected at least slightly, but no more than every other person since the large majority of players use the double PVP trinkets regardless.

For death strike I think the math works out to, with improved death strike, 9.1% health base heal or 16.25% of damage taken.

And for Spellwarding, because they nerfed the rune and not the PvP talent, it’s now 3.75% magic damage reduction, 4.16% HP shield proc (was 12.5%), 4.16% cast speed reduction (was 12.5%).

Reverting the virulent plague PvP buff makes sense, but it’s annoying that they keep refusing to revert the PvP duration nerf.

Pretty grim for the moment, but I’ll take the L for now as long as they keep balancing and hopefully we can get to a healthy place for the game.

The thing is despite the VP nerf, other specs that were the direct competition of unholy like feral got nerfed harder

Just when I was thinking to myself blizz is going radio silent again and leaving us to sit a season with no more changes they did this and its great

Lets hope they got even more planned

Especially with the trinket set changes it’s hard to tell how things are going to work out next week. Fury buffs in PvE could be a factor, but I don’t know enough about the spec to understand how it affects fury PvP damage or if it’ll allow it to compete with arms.

With the revert of the 25% nerf to Death Strike’s base heal + the stam buff, and overall damage nerf, it may be the case that DK’s can stack vers to buff Death Strike’s base heal even further and spamming Death Strike for the base heal will become viable and DKs will still be tanky. Death Strike has been too strong vs burst damage for a long time, maybe this version will work out.

nerfing spellwarden is the best thing they could have done. That talent was mandatory against almost everything but pure physical classes and its a reason that other defensives had to get nerfed so badly (IE death strike). DKs weren’t allowed to have DS that healed like it did before the nerf while also having a random shield that would heal for 90k+ that could pop up back to back.

Now DKs basically have a pvp talent slot open unless you’re facing double caster and feel you need the survivability. There are plenty of times I wanted to run strang or necrotic aura for extra dmg or cc but it felt like you simply couldnt give up the random spellwarden procs.

1 Like

they did.
and spellward.

and they still think we have too much survivability.

and they buffed warriors generally, and fury in particular.

you know, the one that does more dmg than us, can go nearly immune to dmg, and can heal himself more than we can while dpsing instead of having to choose between healing or dpsing…

But we have too much survivability …

2 Likes

I’m curious why they think we have so much survivability. Do you guys feel overly tanky? I certainly don’t. At ilvl 422 I get absolutely deleted by Warriors, Feral Druids, Hunters and Rogues.

In RBG team fights we’re just as susceptible to swaps as any other melee DPS outside of Icebound Fortitude. AMS is wiped clean in a global against any decent spell cleave. I just don’t see why they think we’re out here living too long.

If you look at DH with Blur, Darkness and Glimpse / Fel Rush to get out of trouble, or Rogue with Evasion, Cloak and Vanish, or Warriors getting Ignore Pain back, our survivability hardly seems imbalanced in comparison.

No we literally arent tanky universally and the only people who think we are either hate dks or play casters which usually go hand in hand

Heres the thing DK is to tanky into caster, And its not that DK shouldnt be difficult for casters to deal with but more so how does it obtain that status of immortality to casters? Passive rng procs

Thats the issue i think. But then theres melee, and man melee just truck dks like its nothing

I don’t feel particularly tanky against casters either though. 1v1 sure, but if the other team has an Elemental Shaman and a Mage / SPriest / Destruction Warlock, you’re dead in seconds without a competent healer. This comp is insanely common in every aspect of rated PvP.

1 Like

I mean if youre playing frost i can see this, but even frost is a livelord into casters, As unholy if thats the case its a l2p problem because you should be doing so much more pressure overall to the casters that they shouldnt even be able to counter pressure your team

2 Likes

In arena, it’s more manageable for sure. But this is true for any melee. Go into an RBG against a team with 2 Ele Shaman, a Mage, and a Warlock and tell me how your survivability looks.

Blizzard’s patch notes make it seem like DK survivability is out of control compared to other melee classes and it simply isn’t true.

Now we are weaker against casters and paper against melee. Ahhh, balance at last

As I keep saying. They just don’t want us to be anti-caster lol.

Weaker vs caster yes, but if youre dying to caster with a DS buff thats your fault for not having proper DS usage, Paper into melee will still probably be mostly true but you will be less paper than before, DS is how dk deals with melee so any buff to DS is a buff to dk into melee

Good melee will just play disarm though or insane mortal strikes hence why i originally said i personally think it shouldve been fully reverted not only 25%

But so long as they do another balance pass after this one, keeping up with class changes im not worried, if its not addressed this pass hopefully a week or 2 after the catalyst comes out theyll address frost specifically

They REALLY need to make soulreaper not a burden to use during pillar of frost, thats like a high priority

1 Like

afaik deathstrike isn’t affected by vers. Vers is automatically stacked by DK due to PVP gear and it’s BIS for PVP regardless so that likely won’t factor into too much

It shouldn’t because it’s based on % of max health and % of damage taken.