Reality of all the Microsoft threads

Considering how unimpressed most of the players I see are by 9.2 - including people about to leave and those who have left and don’t expect to come back - if 10.0 is just another design-by-template retread, there’s going to be huge issues. Or maybe tiny ones if the playerbase continues to shrink to nano size.

1 Like

Console version, here we come!!!

More like 90%?

Like those that get enraged there’s more (store) mounts or mogs or things, complaining that it’s taking away from fixing the systems ect.

Art team =/= coding team, ect.

meanwhile

1 Like

Huh? Moment Microsoft gets in charge by mid 2023, they can do whatever they want. We can start seeing changes at that point

Agreed. I wouldn’t even know about the buyout if I didn’t read Bing.com NEWS every day.

Many people are VERY excited (optimistic) about the prospect of having better game management, customer service, and content.

Reality check: All of this has already been discussed the mass of other threads. Potential timeframes to change, where change starts, potential redundancies, possible legal hurdles, the differences between merges and acquisitions, and the type of acquisition this is.

Ugh, I never read news off Bing. Funny, the main news outlets here in Aus reported it, and so did WoWHead.

2 Likes

The problem with OP’s sentiment is that it is likely going to turn out to be wrong. I think the Microsoft merger happened as a blowout. The developers have been wanting to change direction with the products for years, but the people in charge have been holding them back. The pressure has been building and building for a decade, and it has become too much. The show runners at Activision Blizzard were in an impossible position, they can’t in good conscience allow the developers to do what they think is right, and the developers can’t in good conscience continue to toe their leadership’s line. The only fix is Phil, and him just being on the horizon has already relieved the pressure. The Microsoft threads are right, and OP is wrong, but OP wants to feel like he’s holding something over the sheeple lol

1 Like

Not to mention the sale is not final. The government still has to review it and the office that handles anti-trust reviews and mergers just got a lot stricter. Or more specifically started doing what they were supposed to be doing for the last few decades.

1 Like

Please read this response in its entirety not just the first sentence then stop because you don’t understand my original post at all. I don’t know if you didn’t read it in its entirety or what

It really doesn’t matter what Microsoft wants at this point you have to understand when there is a merger or acquisition of any kind it goes through the federal government.

The feds could literally kill the deal if they wanted to. My point from my OP is that regardless of what Microsoft wants to do it’s going to be quite a while before they can legally do anything at all. If just the paperwork itself were to be finalized within six months that would be done at light speed.

So when all the logistics are finalized there is a transition period after that. It could literally be a year or two regardless of what Microsoft wants to do before they can legally do a thing. So if that’s the case logically thinking we have another two years or more before we would even see any type of change regarding our game.

You clearly don’t understand the point of my op. The point was to give people a realistic time frame of how long something like this actually takes and how long it would take for us to see any type of change to the game because of it

1 Like

Two years is nothing.

1 Like

I agree but my point from the op is everybody’s making all these threads to Microsoft like are actually reading them and in a lot of threads they are talking about change right around the corner not understanding how long of a process this actually is.

I am glad however you realistically understand that. So I was realistically trying to let everyone know who doesn’t know what’s involved in something like this and how long of a process it realistically is

1 Like

Microsoft will likely never see anything from these forums. He’d have better luck using @BillGates, because at least Bill plays (or used to, at least) on the Mal’ganis server. He is not, however, still CEO of Microsoft.

Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision-Blizzard is good news for the long-term sustainability of the game, but I don’t expect to see any development changes. The only functional difference I anticipate is Blizzard being able to operate unilaterally without Bobby Kotick breathing down their necks. The same teams will be working on the game, and I doubt there will be any alteration in their course.

In 2 years when everything’s said and done, I don’t think WoW will look all that different. I think players will be more satisfied because we’ll be getting more content and the subscriber count will increase, but that only means more people present to complain about everything they don’t like.

Microsoft isn’t here to rescue World of WarCraft. They’re here to let Blizzard generate revenue for them through doing what they do best, same as every company they buy out.

Expecting Microsoft to change the development direction of WoW is like expecting them to rewrite The Elder Scrolls VI. That isn’t even what they do.

2 Likes

You bring up a another very good point my friend it reminds me of when Disney bought Touchstone back in the 90s. They had no plans of dismantling them or making any changes at the time. They just wanted to be able to reap the benefits of the movies they were making without the family-friendly Disney name on it

On top of that Disney was able to produce some not so family friendly movies under the Touchstone logo. It basically gave them an additional funnel source to funnel some of their talent to that they were not currently using but had contracts to where they had to use them.

This too. Both of you made some very good points

2 Likes

That ties into one of the biggest impacts Microsoft ownership will have on the game.

We could see cross-over content and nods to previously off-limits characters and franchises. If Microsoft really wanted to, they could license the Dragon Language from Elder Scrolls for use by Blizzard Entertainment and give us additional (and familiar) depth going forward in a dragon expansion. They could give us pets inspired by Halo or Fable or Fallout. The biggest differences are legal ones related to licensing and publication rights. Under Microsoft, the Blizzard design team has a much larger toolkit.

Previously, all they had from which to draw inspiration were other Blizzard IPs, Bejeweled, and H.P. Lovecraft (because all his work is public domain). They did a lot with that. I’m curious to see how they’ll choose to take advantage of their new situation.

1 Like

It’s the game’s official forum, man. It’s where people express their thoughts and hopes. Most of those people know Microsoft isn’t reading their threads.

The reality, however, is that while it will certainly take some time to see implementation of decisions made by Microsoft, many of those decisions are already in the process of being made. And while Microsoft is highly unlikely to take a direct hand in content development, something as common as adding additional KPIs that promote new user acquisition or broader content access could affect how the game’s content is developed and structured.

lmao.
IF blizzard continues to bleed off subs MS WILL get directly involved, guy. they wont invest that much money to just watch he who shall not be named continue to ruin their returns, lol

1 Like

None of what you just said has anything to do with what I was talking about in my op.

I feel like some people are not actually reading what I said or they are just stopping at the first sentence or two

1 Like

now I remember what that mute was for…

1 Like